Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's irritating for me to have to DRIVE 15-minutes to the levee system or to Lake Scranton just to RUN when people in 99.9% of this country can just go out their front door for a jog!

You actually think that our area is that .1%? You haven't been around much have you Paul...Its no different in most places around the nation.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
In any event we're straying far off-topic here, but I stand by my beliefs that any community that isn't "walkable" isn't worthy of sustaining life.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Default Memorial

I hope the bike memorial stays right there. Now I need to know about the other bike I photographed.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 AM

Default 1st Impression.

My first impression of walking here, was that I'd like to see/know the history of that three square blocks. So much seemed to be missing. Parking lots dotted the area where buildings must have been. Some beautiful architecture is here, as JG mentioned recently. Sadly, the place looks like it was neglected for decades. I also wonder what did Steamtown Mall replace? I can imagine half of Lackawanna Avenue demolished for that, in hopes of rejuvenating the business district....... Historical photos anywhere?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
My first impression of walking here, was that I'd like to see/know the history of that three square blocks. So much seemed to be missing. Parking lots dotted the area where buildings must have been. Some beautiful architecture is here, as JG mentioned recently. Sadly, the place looks like it was neglected for decades. I also wonder what did Steamtown Mall replace? I can imagine half of Lackawanna Avenue demolished for that, in hopes of rejuvenating the business district....... Historical photos anywhere?
When we were up there, we never made it to Scranton, but we did see Wilkes-Barre & I'm sure it has a "similar" feel to it...

The only word I could use to describe it was "tired". The architecture was beautiful (I'm a fan of the "old" style anyway), but it looked also like it has been neglected for awhile.

Then again, I'm seeing it through "Florida eyes"....just about everything down here is new & colorful, although without that "older" character. Also, seeing it in the middle of winter I'm sure did not help...

But every "older" city I've seen from WB to Binghamton to Elmira to Poughkeepsie (and yes, parts of NYC) has the exact same feel to it...tired.

I know it all boils down to economics, but I would love to see the older buildings brought into the 2000's as opposed to "paving Paradise & putting up a parking lot"....look at the old brownstones in Manhattan... But then again, this takes MONEY & a thriving economy to happen as well as the guarantee of profit....

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
pretty cool..... your colors are looking good..... lol

Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Default yeah...

The best thing about these pics of Scranton is ... PHOTOSHOP!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i would be out of control if i had and knew how to use photoshop.....i just use nikon capture nx2 software and photomatix for creating hdr photos

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Today

Again, while traveling Route 11, I didn't see any accidents or Tractor-dragging-trailors, but I did see this unusual plume
coming from Bell Bend nuclear power plant, north of Berwick, about twenty miles from where I was driving. It was a gloomy,
overcast day and the windshield was not clean. I wanted some grain for the "atomic" effect. So, the grime and the color
green seemed to fit! Without Photoshop, I wouldn't post this shot. It had no contrast and little color. I had to enhance
this unusual mushroom cloud I found today!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
Again, while traveling Route 11, I didn't see any accidents or Tractor-dragging-trailors, but I did see this unusual plume
coming from Bell Bend nuclear power plant, north of Berwick, about twenty miles from where I was driving. It was a gloomy,
overcast day and the windshield was not clean. I wanted some grain for the "atomic" effect. So, the grime and the color
green seemed to fit! Without Photoshop, I wouldn't post this shot. It had no contrast and little color. I had to enhance
this unusual mushroom cloud I found today!
Creepy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania