Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 AM

936 posts, read 2,386,681 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of opening a business. I dont want to say what it is yet because my plans are in the starting phase.

What I would like to get is some insight on what people would like to see added to their area.

What new business would you like in your area??? What do you think its growth potential is in this economy??? It can be anything that would make where you live a better place for you.

You can answer in simple terms, this is only a discussion about your likes and dislikes. Its open to all areas in NEPA not only Scranton.

I live in Hamlin and it can use a boost of new stores that the people of the area would shop in. This can help our area, and maybe people that go shopping in other parts of Pa. or even other states stay here and put money into the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 AM

32,603 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Well, I know I LOVE PA and some others in the past lamented the fact that your immediate Hamlin/Lake Ariel area had a dearth of good bakeries. The Minooka Pastry Shop's flagship location in Scranton is GREAT, but from what I've heard the branch they opened out your way is lousy. Why not consider opening a bakery right in your own backyard? I think "The Cakery" has a nice ring to it!

If you're looking for a "big" project, then I've always been wetting my pants trying to get a Dave & Buster's to come to the more immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market. That would take OODLES of cash though!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM

936 posts, read 2,386,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well, I know I LOVE PA and some others in the past lamented the fact that your immediate Hamlin/Lake Ariel area had a dearth of good bakeries. The Minooka Pastry Shop's flagship location in Scranton is GREAT, but from what I've heard the branch they opened out your way is lousy. Why not consider opening a bakery right in your own backyard? I think "The Cakery" has a nice ring to it!

If you're looking for a "big" project, then I've always been wetting my pants trying to get a Dave & Buster's to come to the more immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market. That would take OODLES of cash though!
Well my business idea has nothing to do with food. But a bakery here would be great. I dont know of any bakery in this area. There is a bagel store that I went into once, which wasnt bad. But we can use a bakery that would make bread, cakes, muffins and cookies. It could also sell other items like milk and cheese products. That would be nice!!!

I for one would like to see that in this area but dont have any baking skills and would want to start a business that I can do myself. Its a great idea though.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

910 posts, read 2,979,740 times
Yes, the Hamlin area is in desperate need of baked goods, but many areas around here are. I was making gourmet cupcakes from home before going back to work full time and the response in the area was huge.

Unfortunately in our little corner here we need a lot of things but the problem is that we are mainly a seasonal area. Some people here can't afford anything more than the bare necessities, no less something like the gourmet kitchen shop we just got. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but for around here it just isn't functional.

So if you're sticking to the Hamlin area, my thought would be go for a need not a want. Functionality, necessity

Unless it's a Starbucks, then I'll be your star customer

Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Yes, the Hamlin area is in desperate need of baked goods, but many areas around here are. I was making gourmet cupcakes from home before going back to work full time and the response in the area was huge.

Unfortunately in our little corner here we need a lot of things but the problem is that we are mainly a seasonal area. Some people here can't afford anything more than the bare necessities, no less something like the gourmet kitchen shop we just got. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but for around here it just isn't functional.

So if you're sticking to the Hamlin area, my thought would be go for a need not a want. Functionality, necessity

Unless it's a Starbucks, then I'll be your star customer
A Starbuck's in Hamlin?! Naw. We need one in Pittston first! LOL! How about a Hard Rock Cafe?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 AM

910 posts, read 2,979,740 times
Of course I was just a kidding coffee addict. Yup, Hard Rock, Starbucks, and D&B and Hamlin will be all hooked up . We can't even get an extra fast food chain no less something good! That's ok, I prefer it that way.
I do think a D&B in one of the city areas would be great fun. We go in NY all the time and always have fun and the food is good! Great for you younger folks

Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Great for you younger folks
"You" younger folks? You're still a Spring chicken yourself, missy!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,054,149 times
Is this day and age with the current economy why not a pawn shop.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Roxxy, what about a male strip club? The guys around here have a plethora of places to go, but where are all of the women (and some guys) supposed to go?! I'd get out there on amateur night shaking my booty around, earning lots of cash from people begging me to put my clothes back on!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,427,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Roxxy, what about a male strip club? The guys around here have a plethora of places to go, but where are all of the women (and some guys) supposed to go?! I'd get out there on amateur night shaking my booty around, earning lots of cash from people begging me to put my clothes back on!
I told coartist that if I couldn't find a job, I'd have to go back to my old street corner!!

Only problem is, at this age, I'd have to pay THEM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania