Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,054,149 times

Advertisements

As long as they stick to city business they cannot be stopped.

Sherri is opening a big can of worms here if she pushes this issue she and or council could very well end up in federal court over it. But that could also be the point because it would draw attention away for anymore borrowing or the election and make the focus that issue. Smoke and mirrors, its all smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
In the case of Miller, Rogan, and DiBileo, you can't really deny them opportunity as citizens to address council simply becase they happen to be running (or might be running) for office, can you? Unless one of them came right out and made an obvious campaign speech ("Remember, vote for me, I'll plow your street!") there's really not a lot anyone can do.
You're exactly correct. Atty. Minora responded by saying that as long as candidates were approaching the podium with legitimate concerns and were addressing council as citizens instead of political rivals, that there is absolutely no merit to denying them their First Amendment rights to speak at their community's own public forum. Now, if Doug had concluded with "Vote Miller!", then Sherry would have had a legitimate case. She's just worried more than likely that if Miller, Rogan, and DiBileo sling enough mud at the incumbents that they will turn the city against them.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,298,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
She's just worried more than likely that if Miller, Rogan, and DiBileo sling enough mud at the incumbents that they will turn the city against them.
As opposed to the same half a dozen or so speakers who do nothing but that at any given meeting?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
As opposed to the same half a dozen or so speakers who do nothing but that at any given meeting?
Well, I hate to say it, but most in the city (and those of us outside the city who watch the meetings for some comic relief) don't give much credence to most of the "regulars." More often than not Dan Hubbard and Marie Schumacher are the only two who can approach the podium and air a grievance or make a suggestion with respect, class, and intellect. Most of the rest of the lot just love to "push buttons" because they get a rise out of trying to hurt the feelings of those on council, or they try to play to the cameras. However, this past meeting was quite honestly one of the best (if not THE best) meeting I've ever had the pleasure of watching. With the exception of Les Spindler and that somewhat-deranged Phyllis woman who seems to think the "city console" can overturn Roe v. Wade, EVERYONE was calm, reserved, and RESPECTFUL when they approached the podium. Mr. Jackowitz turned my stomach when he got a bit heated when he continuously angrily mentioned "I'm a veteran", "I'm a veteran" (a TRUE veteran wouldn't be DEMANDING special treatment for his or her selfless and valiant service, but I digress), but I just wanted to give everyone else there that evening a big round of applause for behaving like CIVILIZED and EDUCATED individuals for a change! I hope Dan tells them to keep this up because I heard some GOOD suggestions and ideas coming from the podium for a change instead of just drooling and foaming at the mouth!

I will admit that even though I was banned from Doherty Deceit for not being anti-mayor enough for their tastes and for calling out the ring-leader of that site himself for some off-color remarks, I still DO check out the forum about once per week. Sometimes I'm surprised that there ARE some worthwhile threads on there.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM

904 posts, read 2,045,370 times
when are the council meetin's on? and on which channel on cumcast? i need to set the dvr to record this stuff....

Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 AM

65 posts, read 140,350 times
I watch the council meetings (not every week) but they are on on Tuesday evening I believe it's 6 PM on channel 61.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,574,352 times
I am so glad that all I have to worry about is why Siproth didn't do something to keep the Monroe County SPCA open.
Township meetings are always heated and two sided.......since the beginning of time.
But, a worry here in our location, is our four legged friends sitting on a now vacant road waiting for rescue.
Where were OUR town heads when the word came out that by 4PM on that very day......the "savior" for lost and neglected pets would have a lock on its door.
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/90130015 Where to go to rescue pets this weekend, just in .........

Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM

Smile "25 Random/Unique Things About Me Thread"

Several of us have very active Facebook accounts, and some of us have recently participated in a "chain" of sorts that has been going around as a "note" on there (their version of a "blog"). Essentially one will post 25 random or quirky things about themselves that many others may not know, and then they must "tag" (mention) 25 friends when they are finished. If you are one of the lucky 25 to be tagged, then you must do your own list of 25 eccentricities and then tag 25 more friends, including the person who tagged you (so that they can be easily notified that they participated in the little "game" you spread).

It's really not possible to "tag" members on here, but if anyone wants to participate, I'll get the ball rolling with 25 things about me (I'll keep it a bit more "family-friendly" than a few I posted on Facebook!) LOL! If you feel so inclined, reply with 25 things about YOU as well! Since we're all like a giant dysfunctional cyber-family, it would be neat to learn more about what makes us all tick!
  1. My middle name is Joseph.
  2. My favorite pizza is Tony's in Jenkins Twp.
  3. I always commit myself that "this will be the year" that I run the Steamtown Marathon for the first time, but then I get too busy and stop training for it.
  4. My eyes change color.
  5. Sarah Palin cost John McCain my vote in 2008.
  6. I shave my chest.
  7. I use Crest White Strips far too often.
  8. My dream dog is a Siberian husky.
  9. I love historic architecture.
  10. I aspire to be a big fish in a little pond someday.
  11. My Federal tax refund is $511!
  12. I boycott Wal-Mart.
  13. I've developed a crush on a straight guy on more than one occasion.
  14. I prefer CNN over Fox News.
  15. My favorite "family night" is when we all gather to watch the televised Scranton City Council meetings on Tuesday nights on Comcast.
  16. I meditate at times in the dark while listening to Enya.
  17. I've never had a "local" long-term relationship.
  18. My celebrity crush is David Archuleta
  19. I have a lot of road rage.
  20. I'm prejudiced against the prejudiced.
  21. I live exactly equidistant to Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.
  22. I love hiking at Ricketts Glen.
  23. No matter how much I eat, I can't eclipse a weight of 140 lbs.
  24. I irk people sometimes by saying "I'm well" instead of "I'm good" when they say "How are you?"
  25. I'm surprisingly good at baseball.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,627,049 times
Quote:
In the case of Miller, Rogan, and DiBileo, you can't really deny them opportunity as citizens to address council simply becase they happen to be running (or might be running) for office, can you? Unless one of them came right out and made an obvious campaign speech ("Remember, vote for me, I'll plow your street!") there's really not a lot anyone can do.
I agree with you 100 percent and you are correct. See, there are times we can see eye to eye!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,522 times
Mine will be a straight copy from FaceBook, so apologies to those for whom this is a repeat...

25. I'm actually a shy person, though I play outgoing very well. I decided it was a role I was going to play sometime after my first divorce, and I've become well acquainted with the part.

24. I'm an ovo-lacto pescatarian. Which means I'm a vegetarian who consumes eggs, milk products and fish. I'm only pescatarian because I can't eat salad and pasta every time I go out to eat with friends!

23. I had the perfect job, but lost it and now am searching for it again.

22. I've learned, after two failed marriages, that being alone is not as lonely as being with someone who isn't really there with you.

21. I love to garden, especially growing my own veggies.

20. I still think bugs are cool. Dragonflies are my favorite now.

19. I'm going to get a dragonfly tattoo as a gift to myself when I get back down to a size 5.

18. I don't want kids, never have, and hopefully at this point in my life never will. I guess I'm too selfish and like my 'me' time.

17. I have very eclectic music tastes ranging from classical to country to whatever you'd call Kid Rock

16. My Gram rocks out to Kid Rock when she works out. Do I have the coolest Gram, or what?

15. I want to learn Italian and visit Sicily one day too see if I still have family there.

14. I think I have family involved in the mafia... I don't pursue that line of questioning though

13. I love my pj's and change almost as soon as I get home.

12. I hate seeing my feet, so very rarely wear open toed shoes. I love my cowboy boots. No foot to be seen there!

11. I love having my tushie rubbed - but only by certain people!!!

10. I have finally come to terms with my big butt and have come to look at is as a true asset (pun intended)

9. I shouldn't be allowed to name pets. I have a cat named Velcro and one named Squeak. The other two came with normal-ish names. I also have birds named Horny Harry and Fertile Myrtle.

8. My Mom is a crazy cat lady with around 40 cats at any one time!

7. I don't like jewelery. I missed that girly gene.

6. I have no freakin' clue how to do my hair in an updo. Or how to do 'going out' makeup.

5. I love the smell of horses.

4. I sometimes sit outside on my front step at 3am and watch the stars and listen to the sounds of the night.

3. I make some AWESOME veggie soups. I can cook, baby!

2. I taught my parrot to fart and burp.

1. I dream of being a farmer one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania