Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM

174 posts, read 622,489 times

Advertisements

Many thanks to those who helped me brainstorm the idea of purchasing a cabin.

One more question. Some said that Pocono area is more expensive than others. Any other towns I should look at that have the lake access or are located in gated communities that are worth attention?

Again any insights are valued.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Dont know where yu are looking. Maybe if you gave us some towns, we could share

d

Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Perhaps Towamensing Trails would be a good place, Arrowhead lakes....
Some questions to PoconoProud might help your out DM her.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,110,342 times
The Pocono Lake area is a resort area..you might find a few things cost higher here and there, but not drastically so....

Gated/non gated lake communities for the Pocono's are mostly found on the Pocono Plateau, such as Arrowhead Lakes, Lake Naomi, Locust Lake, Lake Harmony, Towamensing Trails....but you can also find these further up in communites like Wallenpaupack Lake Estates or the Hideout.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
WLE isnt gated, but has lots of security ; we call them green hornets.

d

Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Thank you.
I have rented a cabin once in Arrowhead lake and loved it. I also loved the area so anything around would most likely do.
I worry about the sewer system as well. Someone warned me that there are areas that it is not hooked up yet. How do I know which area is livable?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
How do I know which area is livable?
Are you sure you don't want to spend a little more time in the area before buying?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM

I've been to PA many times and I love the quiet surroundings. I'm not sure what you meant by "spend more time in the area". Is there something I should know about?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

64 posts, read 234,763 times
Indian Mountain Lakes is another gated community. It's a little south of (and a little warmer than :-) the Pocono Plateau communities.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,110,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
Thank you.
I have rented a cabin once in Arrowhead lake and loved it. I also loved the area so anything around would most likely do.
I worry about the sewer system as well. Someone warned me that there are areas that it is not hooked up yet. How do I know which area is livable?

Yes that's true...there are sections of Arrowhead that are still awaiting the central sewer ...

If you are buying an existing home, ask your realtor to show you homes that are in the sewered sections only. ...or do you plan to build?

Arrowhead has a rebate program right now, that if you have a home/lot in an unsewered section, they'll give you a quote on how much it would be for you to extend the existing sewer line to your lot and also quote the fee to tap into the sewer. When you agree to do that and pay, the sewer will be run to where you are. All the lots between those two points can now also tap into the sewer line that you paid to have extended. As those lot owners pay to tap into the sewer, you would receive rebates, potentially getting back all your money - minus your tap in fee.

A lot can be buildable, even if there is no community sewer.. The lot would have to pass a perc test, though. If it did, you would be able to get a septic design for an on-lot septic system, more commonly known as a "turkey-mound". The downside to that type of system in these lake communities, is that often you are getting 1/4 - 1/2 acre lots, and as the turkey mound takes presedence of placement on your building lot, you may be limited to the type of home you can build. That's why it's good to be hooked up to the sewer if building a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania