Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times

Advertisements

It seems the Philadelphia Phantoms AHL team, the top affiliate of the Flyers, has been sold to a Pittsburgh group that owns the Penguins affiliate in Wheeling. This is happening because the Phantoms' home, the Spectrum is meeting the wrecking ball. Reading this article in the Philly paper, it sounds possible, as one poster under the article wrote, that the Pittsburgh group might be interested in the AHL franchise in order to get the Penguins affiliate closer to Pittsburgh, which would open up W-B/Scranton to be the Flyers affiliate. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I'd much rather a Philly team in here than a Pittsburgh team. Makes more sense. Plus, we could get rid of that ridiculous looking Penguin-on-steroids logo the local team now has.

Phantoms' sale likely means a move out of the area - and a blow to the Flyers | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/05/2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

HOW DAREST THOU QUESTION THY PENGUIN?! ATTACK!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Now if we could only get rid of the Yankees....

Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Now if we could only get rid of the Yankees....
Don't you mean the Skankees?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM

By the way, it would be the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Phantoms. We need to start fixing the fact that our metro area is listed backwards in roughly 1/3 of our common contexts.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Don't you mean the Skankees?
I like to call them the Bankee$.

Unfortunately, we'll never get the Phillies back, but I'd take just about any team other than the Yankees or Mets.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
remember the uproar from the fans when Dennis bonvie left? do you really think the fans would allow a team name change?? I don't, i think the fans would form a lynch mob if their team got changed like that. ESPECIALLY to one of the fiercest the rival clubs.

A rival team in the lehigh valley would probably lead to some high sales numbers. I know many in Allentown that are hockey fans, and they travel to w-b to see the phantoms play. w-b/s pens vs the allentown whatevers would surely be sold out every time.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM

This area, at least since the Red Barons are history, is totally brain-dead when it comes to picking names for minor league teams....both the hockey team and the baseball team just took the name of their parent club.

I don't think the uproar would be much.....its not like the Pittsburgh Penguins had much of a following in NE PA before we got their AHL team....and I still think that most WB/S Pens fans don't care all that much about the Pittsburgh Penguins.

There are probably more Flyers fans in NE PA than Pittsburgh fans.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
By the way, it would be the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Phantoms. We need to start fixing the fact that our metro area is listed backwards in roughly 1/3 of our common contexts.
No it would still be the W-B/ Scranton Phantoms because the arena is still located in Wilkes-Barre Twp. not Scranton, and the fan base is still probably 90% from the greater W-B area, not from Scranton. So why would they want to appeal to the small fan base from Scranton, as opposed to the die hard local Wilkes-Barre area fan base that make up the vast majority of fans, and attend every game? Doesn't Scranton hog up enough of the local spotlight the way it is? I'd sooner have the team drop Scranton from the name altogether, then have Scranton mentioned before W-B for an overwhelmingly Wilkes-Barre team. Why not just have The W-B Penguins, and W-B Pioneers, and The Scranton Yankees?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Why not just have The W-B Penguins, and W-B Pioneers, and The Scranton Yankees?
I'd be all for that...it would be easier, the names are too long as it is.

But the airport needs to be fixed. We have to be the largest metro with an airport named backwards. And I don't want to hear that the airport is in Luzerne County.....its barely in Luzerne County and is still closer to the city of Scranton than to the city of Wilkes-Barre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania