Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I just don't know why Dan, Ed, Go Phillies, and so many others think they are the "guardians" of NEPA as they build this huge invisible wall of sorts around Scranton, similar to how the Chinese tried to wall themselves off from the rest of the outside world, namely the "invading Mongolians" (a.k.a. the "invading New Yorkers). Scranton is far too insular for its own good. The only way it will succeed with its impending renaissance efforts is if it starts to embrace newcomers instead of throwing the book at them.

I work beside many from NJ/NY. Many of my customers are NJ/NY transplants. I even sat amongst many with heavy NJ/NY accents tonight at the Penguins game. Many purchasing newer homes/townhouses near me are from NJ/NY. There are MANY upstanding members on this forum who hail from NJ/NY. I just don't see why everyone must always focus on only the NEGATIVE that is coming here.

Was it not a gay couple from NYC that restored the old white mansion on the corner of Jefferson & Mulberry into a beautiful B & B? Was it not a business man from NYC who decided to open up The Colosseum, a popular night club in the city? Was it not a family from NJ that decided to turn the abandoned Kalmanowicz Market in Dupont into Bobby-O's Diner? Shall I continue?

I just don't see why most on this forum (and in this area in general) think NJ/NY = "icky." Sure, they may have turned Edwardsville into the blithering sewer it is today, but the good these newcomers are bringing into our area far outweighs the drug issues.
If you look at the demographics of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, we are within 6 hours of Canada, NYC, NJ, Philidelphia, Baltimore and Wasdhington, DC so crime has an easy access to this area via I80, I84 and I81 along with the Pa Turnpike and NE Extension.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
[quote=W-B proud;7348039]Ya see?!, Scranton is slowly turning into Wilkes-Barre!!![/quote

it always was like wb--only diff--now the drug busts are being reported in the paper occasionally

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Oh gosh yeah, how could I forget about East Orange? That makes Paterson look like Paradise Or better yet...Irvington.
lived and worked in paterson in the 70's--then it was much like my old hometown of scranton

Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Here we go again, blaming everybody from NYC and NJ for the crimes of a few. Believe it or not, crime exists in Scranton without the help of people from other states.
I agree. I'm one of those people from NY, even though I've been up here in NEPA for many years. I don't feel like a "guardian" of PA at all. But you're right, this area has had many problems before we got here.

Hey Paul, I was at the Pens game too last night. Great game, thought they were going to blow it at the end. But they came through in overtime!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
There are parts of NEPA that compare to the Oranges, Irvinton, Newark, Jersey City, etc. but there are parts that are good in both areas.
Haha, I'm sorry, but there are NO parts of Irvington or East Orange that are "good" by ANY standard. Newark? Ok, they've got the performing arts center, and I *guess* you could walk around that area without the fear of being shot, but I still wouldn't take my chances If there are parts of NEPA that compare to Irvington, I guess I just haven't seen them yet. I believe you, but I haven't come across it....thankfully.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Good parts of East Orange? Where? We had our business in the Oranges for close to 30 years before we closed and I will tell you that there is no good area anywhere in East Orange day or night.

After the recent attempted carjacking it seems that there are fewer and fewer safe places in downtown Scranton as well.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM

52 posts, read 103,019 times
Quote:
There are parts of NEPA that compare to the Oranges, Irvinton, Newark, Jersey City, etc. but there are parts that are good in both areas.
where are those areas;

Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree. I'm one of those people from NY, even though I've been up here in NEPA for many years. I don't feel like a "guardian" of PA at all. But you're right, this area has had many problems before we got here.

Hey Paul, I was at the Pens game too last night. Great game, thought they were going to blow it at the end. But they came through in overtime!!!
That was indeed an awesome game. We were in Section 114, which was right by the curve of the rink. Ticketmaster found me some great seats! It was a nice night out for $100 last night. Dinner for two at Lucky's (VERY good and awesome atmosphere), some good roasted nuts at the arena, and a thrilling game.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
I just don't know why Dan, Ed, Go Phillies, and so many others think they are the "guardians" of NEPA as they build this huge invisible wall of sorts around Scranton, similar to how the Chinese tried to wall themselves off from the rest of the outside world, namely the "invading Mongolians" (a.k.a. the "invading New Yorkers). Scranton is far too insular for its own good. The only way it will succeed with its impending renaissance efforts is if it starts to embrace newcomers instead of throwing the book at them.

I work beside many from NJ/NY. Many of my customers are NJ/NY transplants. I even sat amongst many with heavy NJ/NY accents tonight at the Penguins game. Many purchasing newer homes/townhouses near me are from NJ/NY. There are MANY upstanding members on this forum who hail from NJ/NY. I just don't see why everyone must always focus on only the NEGATIVE that is coming here.

Was it not a gay couple from NYC that restored the old white mansion on the corner of Jefferson & Mulberry into a beautiful B & B? Was it not a business man from NYC who decided to open up The Colosseum, a popular night club in the city? Was it not a family from NJ that decided to turn the abandoned Kalmanowicz Market in Dupont into Bobby-O's Diner? Shall I continue?

I just don't see why most on this forum (and in this area in general) think NJ/NY = "icky." Sure, they may have turned Edwardsville into the blithering sewer it is today, but the good these newcomers are bringing into our area far outweighs the drug issues.
Right now Scranton's econimic situation is not the greatest. Imagine what it would be like if ALL of the people living here from other states moved out. Scranton would truely become a "ghost town", fast.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:

I don't think any of us are complaining about good people who moved here from NY or NJ. I know of many decent people who moved here for the right reasons. What we are complaining about is the massive amount of ghetto criminals and section 8/welfare leeches who have come here from NYC, NJ, and Philly. Just check the arrest records around here...it doesn't take an Einstein to see that there are a lot of people arrested here for selling drugs with addresses in the Bronx, Newark, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania