Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
You don't travel much, do you?
I can garrantee you I've traveled plenty. I used to have a job that required me to travel to Manhattan three, four times a week. Philly, Baltimore, D.C. all over the place many times per week. I have a few million miles under my belt at least. Do YOU travel much, because if you have ever seen a REAL COSMOPOLITAN CITY, then you'd know right away that SCRANTON IS NOT A COSMOPOLITAN CITY! If Scranton is cosmopolitan, then Carbondale must be the "eighth wonder of the world"...who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Lighten up, Francis. I never said Scranton was "cosmopolitan." Not buying that it's among the "whitest" cities of its size is all.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Lighten up, Francis. I never said Scranton was "cosmopolitan." Not buying that it's among the "whitest" cities of its size is all.
I'm sorry, I meant the whitest city outside of Iceland

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
What did I say that was offensive? Scranton and NEPA as a whole is a very "white" area. Scranton is a very white city for a city it's size. Cosmopolitan is a world recognizable city, with people of many cultures and ethnicities from all over the world. New York is a cosmopolitan city. Scranton is a predominately white city (by an overwhelming majority) with many generations of the same families being born and raised in the city. That's not a bad thing at all, but it isn't cosmopolitan. It's almost the exact opposite of cosmopolitan. Scranton is more like a small town where everybody knows everybody, everyone knows thier neighbors, generations of the same families, people show up at city counsel meetings and rant and rave, like in a small town ect.
You're being ignorant by saying that Scranton does not have many cultures and ethnicities from all over the world just by observing that its mostly white. Those white people include Irish, Italians, Polish, Slovak, Russian, Welsh, German, Ukrainian, etc etc. People can have the same skin tone, yet come from a completely different culture. I'm sick of "diversity" only meaning dark skin color, Spanish speaking, or gay. Somehow cities that are a majority black are considered "diverse" but not cities that are a majority white. When, in reality, the city that is mostly white, like Scranton, probably has more ethnic diversity than a city that is mostly black.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You're being ignorant by saying that Scranton does not have many cultures and ethnicities from all over the world just by observing that its mostly white. Those white people include Irish, Italians, Polish, Slovak, Russian, Welsh, German, Ukrainian, etc etc. People can have the same skin tone, yet come from a completely different culture. I'm sick of "diversity" only meaning dark skin color, Spanish speaking, or gay. Somehow cities that are a majority black are considered "diverse" but not cities that are a majority white. When, in reality, the city that is mostly white, like Scranton, probably has more ethnic diversity than a city that is mostly black.
But I wasn't even talking about diversity. Someone said that Scranton was Cosmopolitan. I think that means a world recognizable city with cultures and ethnicities from all over the world. Every town in America is diverse by your definition. Everyone in this country has roots and ancestory from somewhere else. Every town in our region has irish, german, slovak, italian ect., and across the nation can claim that. America as a whole is made up of people that came here from all over the world. Cosmopolitan is a massive, diverse, world recognizable city. A city like New York that almost everyone on the planet has heard of or seen a picture of. Scranton is cosmopolitan to Lackawanna County. How about that! Everyone from Lackawanna County has heard of Scranton I'm sure, and it's probably the most diverse town in the county. There's my compromise.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
But I wasn't even talking about diversity. Someone said that Scranton was Cosmopolitan. I think that means a world recognizable city with cultures and ethnicities from all over the world. Every town in America is diverse by your definition. Everyone in this country has roots and ancestory from somewhere else. Every town in our region has irish, german, slovak, italian ect., and across the nation can claim that. America as a whole is made up of people that came here from all over the world. Cosmopolitan is a massive, diverse, world recognizable city. A city like New York that almost everyone on the planet has heard of or seen a picture of. Scranton is cosmopolitan to Lackawanna County. How about that! Everyone from Lackawanna County has heard of Scranton I'm sure, and it's probably the most diverse town in the county. There's my compromise.
I'm in agreement with you. Scranton is a diverse city in the COUNTY ONLY. I doubt Scranton will ever be a World city like NYC, San Francisco, etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I doubt Scranton will ever be a World city like NYC, San Francisco, etc.

NO S***, Really what lead you to that conclusion?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
NO S***, Really what lead you to that conclusion?

Unfortunately a lot of the locals feel it's on it's way to that.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Unfortunately a lot of the locals feel it's on it's way to that.
I wouldn't say its a lot. Its more like Chris Doherty and the select few who are part of or related to the political machine. Not a majority by a long shot.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
What did I say that was offensive? Scranton and NEPA as a whole is a very "white" area. Scranton is a very white city for a city it's size. Cosmopolitan is a world recognizable city, with people of many cultures and ethnicities from all over the world. New York is a cosmopolitan city. Scranton is a predominately white city (by an overwhelming majority) with many generations of the same families being born and raised in the city. That's not a bad thing at all, but it isn't cosmopolitan. It's almost the exact opposite of cosmopolitan. Scranton is more like a small town where everybody knows everybody, everyone knows thier neighbors, generations of the same families, people show up at city counsel meetings and rant and rave, like in a small town ect.
I'll have to agree with you that it's not a cosmopolitan city. It's still predominately white, but I see a lot more blacks and Hispanics in the city now than I ever did. You really can't compare NY and Scranton because of the size and population difference. I think NY is a truly diverse and global city and Scranton is just a small town with a few different ethnic groups and races among the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania