Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notkaplan View Post
Well if steak and seafood is alright, you can try Coopers; it is a Scranton institution and a favorite eating place for the Clinton's
The only problem with Coopers is -- they have lousy food and the service is nothing to rave about !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Well if you were willing to go a bit out of town......about a half hour away.
Nicks Lake House on the lake at Lake Harmony/Split Rock is fantastic. They give you the all glass room that looks out on the lake. There is a nice huge deck outside also. They will do a nice buffet with plenty of foods, tasty too. A good price, a beautiful location, and well worth the out of town distance.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM

19 posts, read 40,346 times
I can't possibly believe that anyone with working taste buds can say that Red Lobster is better than Coopers!! Coopers does have excellent food, you can be sure of that. They are a unique restaurant and there is no other place that compares to what they have. There is a reason there parking lots is jammed packed full. First it has a unique and historical atmosphere with decorating you won't find anyhwere else, also the menu is huge and varied and generally delicious, check out the baked potato, best in Lackawanna County. There are specials and different items on the menu, some seasonal things, etc etc.
Wowser, so you think Red Lobster is the ticket, ha ha ha. I guess you feel that McDonalds really knows how to cook a burger!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncz View Post
I can't possibly believe that anyone with working taste buds can say that Red Lobster is better than Coopers!! Coopers does have excellent food, you can be sure of that. They are a unique restaurant and there is no other place that compares to what they have. There is a reason there parking lots is jammed packed full. First it has a unique and historical atmosphere with decorating you won't find anyhwere else, also the menu is huge and varied and generally delicious, check out the baked potato, best in Lackawanna County. There are specials and different items on the menu, some seasonal things, etc etc.
Wowser, so you think Red Lobster is the ticket, ha ha ha. I guess you feel that McDonalds really knows how to cook a burger!
No I actually just said that Red Lobster is better than Cooper's. It was more to take a shot at Coopers rather than to praise Red Lobster. The only good thing about Cooper's is the atmosphere and beer selection. But I wouldn't pay Cooper's inflated prices just for atmosphere. You really can't get real seafood, especially crab and lobster, in NE PA.

I've had a baked potato at Cooper's before, I don't recall anything special about it.

Although I think its safe to say from your post that you either work at Coopers or are one of the owners.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM

77 posts, read 191,279 times
Well, I like Coopers. There was a Mexican restaurant on Pittston Ave called the Mango Grill (it's closed and I forget whats there now) It didn't last long, but I went there once and it was fabulous. It was fancier than most other places in Scranton and the a little pricey (I didn't care my job was paying for it) But it was real authentic Mexican food and the place was run by Mexican people and boy that food was excellent. Are there any other Mexican or Spanish restaurants in Scr that anyone knows about- and no I'm not talking abut chains like the former Don Pablos

Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notkaplan View Post
Are there any other Mexican or Spanish restaurants in Scr that anyone knows about- and no I'm not talking abut chains like the former Don Pablos
Mi Tolteca in Moosic (in the former Hacienda) and La Tonalteca, outside the Viewmont Mall in the former Lone Star Steakhouse. Both are owned by the same people. Definitely the best Mexican food in this area. They also own the La Tolteca on Mundy St in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncz View Post
Cooper's has a great family-friendly atmosphere, one of the best international draft selections in the area for beer aficionados, and does serve up a decent baked potato. However, I have had better seafood in this area served to me for a lower price, especially at Hottle's in Downtown Wilkes-Barre.

Hottle's Restaurant

Even though I'm a college student who only earns $15,000 annually, I do like to "splurge" every once in a while on a nice night out on the town with a very good female friend of mine (she's the "Grace" to me, "Will"). The last several times we dined at Cooper's in both Pittston and Scranton we waited well over an hour for our entrees to arrive, our entire party was not served simultaneously, the server(s) never inquired to see if we would have desired drink refills as we waited patiently (an excellent way to boost a business's bottom line), etc. Poor service deters most "rational" people (i.e. the only ones who "love" Wal-Mart are those so budget-conscious that they wouldn't care if a monkey were operating the cash register as long as they could save a buck). Studies have shown that many are willing to pay a premium, even during a recession, for the same product if they receive superior service in regards to that purchase, and these same people will also slowly yet surely develop a "brand loyalty" to your company. I see this working at Lowe's in that after a positive experience a number of customers say "this is why I hate Home Depot."

If you're affiliated with Cooper's, as it seems that you may very well be, please take my advice to heart and make necessary improvements. Remind your servers NOT to simply "ignore" patrons waiting incessantly for their orders because they are fearful of being complained to. Most customers APPRECIATE honesty and a sense of empathy from their wait staff for an obviously UNDER-STAFFED KITCHEN. If nothing else I'm willing to tip ABOVE-AVERAGE for those servers who show bravado and conscientiousness in that they'll periodically apologize for the slow kitchen, offer us drink refills, remind us of different specials, (maybe even make some idle small-talk if the dining room is otherwise slow), etc. If we're just "ignored," then I reflect that in our gratuity and make it a point to try somewhere new for dinner during my next bi-weekly romp.

Cooper's in Pittston has a great riverview location that makes the setting very romantic, but don't CUT CORNERS!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 191,279 times
I don't like it if servers or other workers are intentionally ignoring people, but I completely understand if they are swamped and there are like 50 customers for every waitress at one time, I wouldn't be upset about it. I mean, they're people not machines, and maybe they forget something with all thats going on.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM

109 posts, read 366,892 times
The Alora Room in Peckville is also a nice restaurant. Peckville is about 10 mins outside of Scranton. They do catering on site, we had our daughter's Christening lunch there, and the food was delicious and the price was reasonable. I would highly reccommend the restaurant and the owner (I think his name is Marino) was very helpful in the process of planning the menu, etc...

Now while I agree that Coopers is way overpriced and overrated, I have had both my wedding shower and baby shower at the location in Scranton. They have the parties in a separate room (the lighthouse wasn't built yet). The food has always been good (we had a buffet for one and a smaller menu for the other) and the service is great. I can't say that when I go and just have a meal there, but a planned affair they do a fantastic job. There is a lot there, and it really interesting for out of towners (and in towners too).

Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,650 times
Can anyone tell me about Erhardts restaurant in Hawley. I am thinking of going there tomorrow and I am wondering about the food. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that has good food. Italian, American or Steak/fish would be a choice my husband would eat.

I was going to go to Coopers but I have changed my mind after these posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania