U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,412,771 times

Advertisements

As I drove down Highway 315 earlier today on my regular commute to work I had to chuckle to myself to see the large white sign along the western berm of the road in Pittston Township that said "Coming Spring 2007" in regards to the long-anticipated Pittston Crossings project. I reside in an adjacent subdivision (for now anyways), and we are still in the dark about this entire situation. Originally we were led to believe that a Wal-Mart Supercenter was going to be built on the land adjacent to the Quality Inns with a surrounding smattering of smaller chain stores and several out parcels (fast-food? banks?) The old Wal-Mart was then slated to become a Home Depot (ironically enough a Home Depot distribution center will complement the Lowe's distribution center in an upcoming phase of the Center Point commerce park). Then I saw in the paper recently that Wal-Mart has now also bought the Pittston Commons property along North Township Boulevard for several million dollars. Has Wal-Mart, irritated by the lack of progress on The Crossings decided to instead raze The Commons (near "The Plaza" just to make things even MORE confusing) for its new Supercenter? When Pittston Crossings finally DOES open, won't that spell disaster for the tenants currently housed in The Commons and The Plaza?

Anyone "in the know?"
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM

261 posts, read 691,199 times
I'm not "in the Know" but I was just walking behind Victoria Inns on Saturday and it looks like everything is pegged. Nothing else going on, except way in the back on Mericles property.
Also on their web site it says an opening of Spring 2010.

I did some researching and I did see property transactions (http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2009/01/20/news/courts/wb_voice.20090120.t.pg7.cv20cdcourtnotes_s1.224016 0_crt.txt - broken link)in the Voice on 1/20/09. (don't know what property they are referring to)

And more according to Walmart's Real estate website...

Wal-Mart Realty concentrates on commercial real estate located in or aroundour current and former locations. Wal-Mart Realty’s mission is to find businesses to open in our former stores and clubs and to locate in available property around our stores.

Couple of things could be going on...
1. Buying out the competition (kmart)
2. Sam's Club (that would be nice.)
3. New road from the bypass

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM

4,083 posts, read 8,346,336 times
DOW 6,547.05 -79.89 (-1.21%)

Its going to continue to go down and nobody has any money to build anything and the government has no money for anything, but UNEMPLOYMENT.

There is no consumer confidence in our newly crowned king and his ability to raise our country out of the ashes.

I call a bottom around 5300 then a slow climb back up over the next two to three years.

Kmart was absorbed by Sears..

Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_D_M View Post
I'm not "in the Know" but I was just walking behind Victoria Inns on Saturday and it looks like everything is pegged. Nothing else going on, except way in the back on Mericles property.
Also on their web site it says an opening of Spring 2010.

I did some researching and I did see property transactions (http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2009/01/20/news/courts/wb_voice.20090120.t.pg7.cv20cdcourtnotes_s1.224016 0_crt.txt - broken link)in the Voice on 1/20/09. (don't know what property they are referring to)

And more according to Walmart's Real estate website...

Wal-Mart Realty concentrates on commercial real estate located in or aroundour current and former locations. Wal-Mart Realty’s mission is to find businesses to open in our former stores and clubs and to locate in available property around our stores.

Couple of things could be going on...
1. Buying out the competition (kmart)
2. Sam's Club (that would be nice.)
3. New road from the bypass
The master plan for this part of the township calls for an L-shaped road that will start at the light near Pilot, head back onto the vacant property adjacent to the Quality Inns (formerly Victoria Inns), and then veer 90 degrees to the south to connect to Oak Street at the light near the Junior Achievement Building (JAB). Essentially this will be a way for people coming up Oak Street out of Browntown who wish to access Dupont to "bypass" that dangerous intersection near Pollock Chevrolet. The part near the aforementioned JAB will be home to a new phase of the Center Point project, and this will abut the Pittston Crossings project, which will be adjacent to the hotel.

All in all I think this whole "master plan" is BOGUS. Why? Oak Street is a narrow two-lane road through the Browntown section of our township with NO room to widen it due to the dense housing stock in that neighborhood. It is the ONLY direct access point between the Pittston area and Highway 315. Just how much MORE congested will that artery become once you add a new retail center and business park to the fray? Furthermore, we are worried that considering there is only ONE ingress/egress from our subdivision via West Chapman Street that we will be isolated from emergency vehicles if traffic heading southbound on Highway 315 backs up at the Pittston Crossings/Pilot Travel Center light and blocks OUR nearby smaller intersection. I don't believe PennDOT or our township supervisors really have any clue what they're doing in terms of long-range traffic flow planning here. The addition of turn arrows last year at the 315/Oak/Armstrong intersection was LONG overdue, but the intersection remains dangerous and congested during rush-hour---just tonight I was nearly run off the road by a clueless elderly driver who didn't seem to understand that when there are TWO left-hand turn lanes that you need to stay in the lane nearest to you (thank God my horn hasn't broken yet)!

It would be interesting to me if Wal-Mart plans to buy and raze the existing Pittston Commons/Pittston Plaza, instead incorporating that parcel into its existing parcel to permit frontage on BOTH the Bypass AND 315. As for the former tranquility of our neighborhood? Thank God I'm moving out soon! LOL!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

http://www.zamias.com/assets/uploadsOneUpDir/3401.jpg (broken link)

Wow! Our subdivision on the right here will now be bordered on the east by the rears (i.e. dumpsters) of the "small shops", on the south by the proposed four-lane roadway that will funnel traffic between the light at Pilot and the light over on Oak Street near the Junior Achievement Building, and on the west by the new phase of Center Point! Now all we need is for the small tract of land immediately to our north (on the Dupont town line) to be developed, and we'll officially be a suburban wasteland!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

Kmart was absorbed by Sears..
Actually Kmart bought Sears

Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Super Walmart is opening Friday November 5th.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,443,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
Super Walmart is opening Friday November 5th.
yeah!----- maybe we'll see paul there-----picketing----lol!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
yeah!----- maybe we'll see paul there-----picketing----lol!
If the developer had kept his end of the bargain with the promises he made to the people of Butler Heights, my parents' subdivision, which is bordered on two sides by this project, then I'd be much more optimistic. I don't like to see people taken advantage of by those with cash while people from other parts of the township turn a blind eye because it doesn't personally detrimentally impact them. Promises for adequate fencing, landscaping, water retention, and other issues weren't addressed as of the last time I spoke to people in this neighborhood of about 30 homes. 99% of Butler Heights residents have been supportive of the project; they just wanted it done correctly.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM

996 posts, read 905,181 times
Have not kept an eye on the progress of the construction, but usually installation of sound fences/walls, perimeter lanscaping, final tweaks of water channels are normally put off until the end of the construction activity, paving of the parking lots (and waiting for a few measurable precipitation events to occur) if drainage is an issue.

Living along the very borderline of residential/heavy-commercial zoning lines has its risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania