Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM

154 posts, read 407,608 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sick (well, maybe a tad), but I'd like a general checkup...it's been awhile. I'm looking for a general physician/DO. It would be GREAT to find one that truly believes in alternative methods of healing, but at this point, since my 52nd birthday just passed, I'll settle for a good, nonjudgmental (I'm a bit overweight, and don't want a lecture...I KNOW what I have to do...thus, the checkup...), helpful, friendly doctor. Must be a bigger request than I thought it was--posted this awhile back. I'm in the Scranton area. But I'd travel 10 or 15 miles . Can anyone recommend a doc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM

149 posts, read 636,171 times
Try the Family Physician Assoc. ( I think I have the practice called out correctly). I believe their # is 824-1700. They are on Mundy St. in Wilkes-Barre, adjacent to the John Heinz Rehab center. Ask for Dr. Stankoski....great guy, cuts to the chase, & pardon the expression...won't break your stones too much.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Cynthia Oleski in Dickson City. You don't say if you are male or female...she is in practice with her Husband, Dr. Ramos. Both in their early 30's, very kind, compassionate, spend a lot of time with you, don't rush at all, very thorough, and very pleasant. Pleasant staff as well, all in a brand new building owned by them. 2 Doctors, there all week...no PA's. I'm also overweight and never got 'the lecture.'

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Dr. Mario Adajar MD
Internal Medicine Physician - Wyoming, Pennsylvania

812 Shoemaker Ave
Internal Medicine Partners
Wyoming, PA 18644
(570) 693-4020

Had a friend direct me here and then found out from co-workers how much they love his diagnostic approach. He does appear to be a very analytical Doctor and the word on the street is he is sweet.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM

154 posts, read 407,608 times
So far, thanks to all...Oleski sounds promising, but I do have to say one of my coworkers is a patient of her husband's...coworker says husband definitely makes "you really need to lose 20 lbs" type comments...imho, we know we have to lose those lbs, hearing it doesn't make it easier (and sometimes makes it harder, unless it's a life-and-death situation of course). Again, I am in Scranton, so Wyoming etc is way out of the way. I'm still open to suggestions though...anybody else???

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Well, you can always skip the husband and just go to Dr. Oleski. I am very overweight and while she is attentive to my health issues, I have not been given a sermon on weight loss as if I didn't know it would help.

Honestly...there are some Dr's, that no matter what is wrong with you, there answer for everything is to loose 20 pounds.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well, you can always skip the husband and just go to Dr. Oleski. I am very overweight and while she is attentive to my health issues, I have not been given a sermon on weight loss as if I didn't know it would help.

Honestly...there are some Dr's, that no matter what is wrong with you, there answer for everything is to loose 20 pounds.
Well isn't that what doctors are supposed to do? If you need to lose 20lbs, you need to lose 20lbs, and no amount of burying your head in the sand is going to change that (not YOU, the general "you") . I don't understand the desire to go to a doctor that's not going to tell it like it is. They wouldn't be really good doctors if they just ignored that you're at an unhealthy weight.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Well isn't that what doctors are supposed to do? If you need to lose 20lbs, you need to lose 20lbs, and no amount of burying your head in the sand is going to change that (not YOU, the general "you") . I don't understand the desire to go to a doctor that's not going to tell it like it is. They wouldn't be really good doctors if they just ignored that you're at an unhealthy weight.
There's also way too many people who think that skinny = healthy. That is not always the case. People are too obsessed with weight, in my opinion. I know plenty of people that are in great health, eat healthy, exercise regularly, that you judgmental people look down your noses at and say they need to lose 20 lbs. I also know plenty of skinny people who hardly lift a finger, and smoke and drink heavily.

Its this obsession with being thin that had driven a lot of people, especially younger girls, to eating disorders and mental problems. People need to know that Victoria's Secret models are not the norm. In my opinion, most of those models could use a few trips to the Old Country Buffet...

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There's also way too many people who think that skinny = healthy. That is not always the case. People are too obsessed with weight, in my opinion. I know plenty of people that are in great health, eat healthy, exercise regularly, that you judgmental people look down your noses at and say they need to lose 20 lbs. I also know plenty of skinny people who hardly lift a finger, and smoke and drink heavily.
"You judgmental people" as in me? Talk about misreading a post, wow. I agree that skinny does not = healthy, but I doubt most doctors are out there trying to have their patients look like VS models; they do however, point out when the weight has gotten a bit out of control, AS THEY SHOULD since it is their JOB. Personally, I could stand to lose at least 20lbs, and I know that...not to look like a VS model, but to put less pressure on my knees and joints, etc. and as much as it hurts to hear, I'm thankful my doctor points this out whenever I have a checkup. It's not his job to protect my delicate sensibilities!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM

203 posts, read 577,099 times
I go to one of the doctors with PHA. (physicians health alliance)
Dr. Sallavanti is my doctor but he isn't taking new patients, BUT Dr. Charibati (I'm not positive on the spelling) is open & he's wonderful. They are in the same office & I've had different members of my family (myself included) to him when my doc isn't available. My father-in-law went to him recently & he did a very complete physical. He's very thorough.

PHA
Pear Tree Plaza
Main Street, Old Forge
570-457-8364

The office is in the plaza directly across the street from the Old Forge Municipal Bldg. They work directly with Moses Taylor Hospital & have an extended "family" of physicians. There are offices all over. All of them & the hospital are directly connected through the computers so it saves a lot of time with referrals, etc. We've never felt rushed or not listened to with any of the doctors that we've dealt with in the group.
I highly recomend them.
Wow, they even have a web site.
Physicians Health Alliance

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania