Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM

202 posts, read 565,887 times

Advertisements

anyone know anything about this just found out my brother has this - and we just buried my mom - sad news - is it in the family or what ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,585,626 times
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)

Oh Sausages, sorry for the sad news.........Here is some facts I looked up. We lost my mother in law years ago to the "acute" form. That was not a good diagnosis for her, as it was one of the worst.
I have known people who have gone into remission with other forms............

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM

307 posts, read 764,441 times
I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother and the dx of your brother. Everything I have read about CLL makes me believe that is is a very slow moving illness, sometimes they do not even treat it, but they monitor it to watch its progress. You brother should be able to live many more years even with CLL. Usually you don't get CLL until your are over 50 and more men than woman get it. You should put CLL into a search bar and read all about it. Knowledge is power. It also calms your fears. My Granddaughter had ALL when she was two and a half. I spent months researching everything I could find. When I first heard the dx I just wanted to die, but reading up on it helped me more than you could imagine. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,569,860 times
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother and diagnosis of your brother

Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM

487 posts, read 1,368,857 times
I have a friend who just finished his treatment for CLL at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. He did fairly well with the treatment...it began in September and finished in January. He is considered in remission (even though it is not a complete remission). He has put on weight, his energy level is great and he feels like his old self. His doctor is very optimistic. Even if he comes out of remission, she is confident about different courses of treatment that can be tried. From what I know, it is not hereditary. I believe that going to the right center is important. Make sure he goes to someone who is up on the latest treatments. My friend did consult with someone more local (we're on Long Island) and that doctor was not anywhere near as informed as the doctor at Sloan. Good thoughts go out to you and your brother.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,758,854 times
Oh I am so sorry.Sloan Kettering is fantastic. My dh had cancer 11 years ago and went there for a second opinion. The treatment was the same at both places.

Again, I am so so sorry.

Also wanted to tell you about a friend who has a 7 year with leukemia ; he is in remission and doing wonderful.

d
P.s. How was Cavan?? My friend is going there in the summer.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM

202 posts, read 565,887 times
Default Thanks everyone

I love this site.. Cavan was great, I had not been there in years, we stayed at the Farnham Estates just lovely.. visited Cavan town and Lough Gowna were my mom went.

Dublin was booming, Ireland was playing England in the rugby international and it was packed. Grafton street was full of people standing around drinking wine and beer !!!!

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,758,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
I love this site.. Cavan was great, I had not been there in years, we stayed at the Farnham Estates just lovely.. visited Cavan town and Lough Gowna were my mom went.

Dublin was booming, Ireland was playing England in the rugby international and it was packed. Grafton street was full of people standing around drinking wine and beer !!!!

Thanks to you all for your replies.
My 10 year old son got into the rugby when we were home. Now who will win the game on sat in Scotland?? My brother is going to it.

Good luck. keep positive ; it helps big time.

d

Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM

307 posts, read 764,441 times
Bldginpa, did your friend have CML or CLL I didnt know they had a course of treatment for Cll. Although I am not very familiar with it.
I forgot to add that my Granddaughter is 9 and doing great. She has been off treatment for 4 and a half years.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

487 posts, read 1,368,857 times
I'm fairly certain it was CLL. The treatment he received was fairly new....not a research trial, but fairly new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: