Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I haven't reached geezerhood yet. I like The Killers, Keane and Franz Ferdinand - Modest Mouse in small doses isn't too bad.

Most of todays rock bands are similar to the ones I grew up with. The difference is that I haven't been hearing their music for 30 years. Who wants to hear the same songs for 30 years??

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,567,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I mean I'm tiring of Montage only attracting acts to cater to two demographics:

1.) Punk teens to twenty-somethings who have multiple piercings, multiple tattoos, tongues died purple, and like to dress in all black while banging their heads up and down in a mosh pit and smoking what we can only hope are cigarettes to music that has more profanity than a Scranton city council meeting!

2.) People in their late-40s to early-60s who don't want to let the "legends" of the 1960s-1970s die off yet, even though they've long been forgotten by the mainstream. These people will pay top dollar to hear long-outdated "rock" bands play songs that are now played in b-rated small-town gyms to pump up guys lifting weights (Sammy Hagar and Van Halen come to mind).

Bands like Coldplay are more far-reaching and appeal to larger audiences than the "Warped Tour," some God-awful 1970s rock band, Marilyn Manson, or a country musician who thinks he's being "patriotic." Montage needs to stop catering to only those two aforementioned demographics and bring in some more UNIVERSAL acts---Coldplay, The Killers, U2, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, etc.
Ahhh Paul you're killing me with the ageism again. The reason the "geezers" won't let music of the 60's and 70's "die off" is frankly because that's when the best music was produced! Most of what's been produced since then, with a few exceptions, is crap!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Ahhh Paul you're killing me with the ageism again. The reason the "geezers" won't let music of the 60's and 70's "die off" is frankly because that's when the best music was produced! Most of what's been produced since then, with a few exceptions, is crap!
"Best music?" The Beatles? Yes. I'll give you that one. Ditto The Monkees. I can stomach some of the Beach Boys, some Michael Jackson (in his pre-molestation years anyways), and a few others. However, if I have to hear Rock 107 play that song "Money for Nothing" or whatever it is by Dire Straits one more time I think I'm going to bash my head into a wall, and it's music like THAT that attracts crowds to Montage?! That's God-awful, and they even use some very derrogatory anti-gay language in their lyrics! What does that say about our area? Might as well bring Ann Coulter up there and have her armpit-fart "I Will Survive" or something at this rate!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,428,102 times
Quote:
"Best music?" The Beatles? Yes. I'll give you that one. Ditto The Monkees. I can stomach some of the Beach Boys, some Michael Jackson (in his pre-molestation years anyways), and a few others. However, if I have to hear Rock 107 play that song "Money for Nothing" or whatever it is by Dire Straits one more time I think I'm going to bash my head into a wall, and it's music like THAT that attracts crowds to Montage?! That's God-awful, and they even use some very derrogatory anti-gay language in their lyrics! What does that say about our area? Might as well bring Ann Coulter up there and have her armpit-fart "I Will Survive" or something at this rate!
Paul, one thing you'll learn as you get older (and YES, you WILL get older...) is that the "best" music is always what you grew up listening to, with few exceptions... It brings back the good OLD days....

That said, I happen to agree with Miss Enya. Music from those periods is classic. From The Beatles & Stones (as well as quite a few other "British Invasion" groups) to Motown. Why do you think "current" artists always "re-make" them to the "current" musical trends & they withstand the test of time?? (though I wish they'd leave well enough alone most times...)

'Cause like a vintage wine or car.....they're classic.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,567,619 times
Quote:

The music has stood the test of time for a reason

Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
The music has stood the test of time for a reason
Well I still like Ace of Base too! So there!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,155 times
70' music is the best, how can you get better than The Dead, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Mountain? It will never die, i'm sure those bands that i never even heard of that Paul mentioned, won't last as long as these guys have. This is classic music, plain and simple. While i'm a country fan and have been since the 70's, i listened to that above then and i listen to it now and it never gets old. I'm sure anybody would rather go up to Montage to see them than most of the crap out now. My boys are in their 20's and wouldn't go see Coldplay, but they would run to see Ozzy. As far as Toby Keith goes, he rocks, he sings from the heart and he is patriotic. Would Coldplay go to Iraq and put themselves in harms way to entertain the troops? Toby's done it dozens of times and as long as the troops are over there, he will continue to do it. That's pretty patriotic to me.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
I love the music from when I was growing up too, but geez, I can't just listen to the same old songs for decades. Just because a band started in the 60's or 70's doesn't mean it's better then the newer ones. I think the Goo-Goo dolls or Nickelback, Coldplay or the Killers, would have fit right in with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young or The Band. They are all great musicians. Just because something is "classic" doesn't mean it should be played ad nauseum. If you ever see interviews with the guys in the old bands that are still playing they usually mention some young band that they admire - they aren't quite so stuck back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I listen to "classic rock" and it's fun to know all the words without thinking about it, but there's a whole world of new music out there that is just as good.

Some of the bands from the 60's and 70's did stink. I would prefer to eliminate all the disco stuff and some of the heavy metal too. ugh.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,391,382 times
Paul, someone told me today they canceled the show, and you were the first person I thought of! I am going to other shows up there though. Yes I go to Warped Tour to see a lot of bands but I'm also a fan of the older music. Being able to see Slayer(even though they suck live), who are 80's legends, with some of todays metal is great.

Just because I'll go in the pit at some shows and get thrown around, doesn't mean I don't appreciate seeing some classic music that was made long before I was ever born,lol. I was mad I didn't get to see Sammy Hagar last year =X

Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Paul, someone told me today they canceled the show, and you were the first person I thought of! I am going to other shows up there though. Yes I go to Warped Tour to see a lot of bands but I'm also a fan of the older music. Being able to see Slayer(even though they suck live), who are 80's legends, with some of todays metal is great.

Just because I'll go in the pit at some shows and get thrown around, doesn't mean I don't appreciate seeing some classic music that was made long before I was ever born,lol. I was mad I didn't get to see Sammy Hagar last year =X

My son used to love Slayer, now it's HIM. Also Metallica,Danzig, i can't think of the rest, there were so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania