Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,747,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Might as well bring Ann Coulter up there and have her armpit-fart "I Will Survive" or something at this rate!

That might actually be better than most of the concerts around here!

All we seem to get are mullet-head events like Cheap Trick and Boston....or teenybopper punk/goth/rap-rock crap.

I would like to know who would actually pay money to see Nickelback? Talk about no musical talent, with raunchy shallow lyrics..... I guess the fact that Nickelback attracts a crowd brings truth to the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Personally, I'd rather listen to an Irish band play at the banshee than any of the acts that come to Montage or the arena anyways. Commercial music is mostly garbage to me.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

That might actually be better than most of the concerts around here!

All we seem to get are mullet-head events like Cheap Trick and Boston....or teenybopper punk/goth/rap-rock crap.

I would like to know who would actually pay money to see Nickelback? Talk about no musical talent, with raunchy shallow lyrics..... I guess the fact that Nickelback attracts a crowd brings truth to the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Personally, I'd rather listen to an Irish band play at the banshee than any of the acts that come to Montage or the arena anyways. Commercial music is mostly garbage to me.
This is exactly the way I see things locally (even though you obviously addressed this in a more tasteful fashion than I did!) LOL! When the only modern mainstream act you can attract is Nickelback, where the lead singer always sounds like he's getting ready to beat up his girlfriend in half of his songs, then you know you live in an entertainment void! Whether you like Coldplay or not they are quickly gaining a cult following just slightly smaller than U2, and when it was announced that they were coming to Scranton I was more excited about the prestige our area would receive for landing such a huge act. Now we're back to Cheap Trick, Marilyn Manson, Kenny Chesney, and Nickelback. Wonderful! My friends and I will continue to take our dollars OUTSIDE of NEPA to see some DECENT acts!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,747,523 times
Quote:
This is exactly the way I see things locally (even though you obviously addressed this in a more tasteful fashion than I did!) LOL! When the only modern mainstream act you can attract is Nickelback, where the lead singer always sounds like he's getting ready to beat up his girlfriend in half of his songs, then you know you live in an entertainment void! Whether you like Coldplay or not they are quickly gaining a cult following just slightly smaller than U2, and when it was announced that they were coming to Scranton I was more excited about the prestige our area would receive for landing such a huge act. Now we're back to Cheap Trick, Marilyn Manson, Kenny Chesney, and Nickelback. Wonderful! My friends and I will continue to take our dollars OUTSIDE of NEPA to see some DECENT acts!
Not surprising in an area where people worship at the altar of Miller Lite and Marlboro. Think about this: a majority of parks, playgrounds, and little league fields in this area get trashed, vadalized, and are falling apart, and it seems nobody cares....but when the cigarette tax goes up, people in this area are in an uproar. That tells me that people literally care more about their smokes and cheap beer in this area than they do about their kids having nice safe places to play. Also, kids sports leagues and PTAs struggle to find volunteers to coach, do fundraisers, run concession stands, etc etc, but there's never a lack of people to fill the bar for happy hour! Sad, but true....

There's a lot of good things abut this area, and I do like it here, but there is a backwards mentality to a lot of people here.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,567,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't think 40+ men hitting on you has anything to do with the area, that happens anywhere, no matter where you go. There are sick people every where, and i think it's sick when 40+ people are hitting on a 22yr old. You're right, there isn't much for a 22 yr old single gay professional in this area, so maybe where you are moving will be better for you and you will find what you are looking for. You do need to stop carrying on about older people though, it does get tiresome.
I too, do not see the correlation between 40+ guys hitting on Paul and the concerts at Montage And I agree that the ageism gets tiresome...and to some, including myself, offensive.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,427,073 times
Default An email I Got....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
And I agree that the ageism gets tiresome...and to some, including myself, offensive.
From "old" JG to "old" EnyaGirl....

"I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant..

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60's &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver..

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it)..."

Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I too, do not see the correlation between 40+ guys hitting on Paul and the concerts at Montage And I agree that the ageism gets tiresome...and to some, including myself, offensive.
It's only offensive because you my dear Cheryl, have such low self-esteem and take that so personally. You're a drop-dead gorgeous 30-something. I don't know why when I say the word "old" you think I'm referencing you when you are nowhere NEAR being "old" in my eyes. You're not only young at heart, but you also look like you could blend in on an undergraduate campus like my own and still have to get carded when going out. Why do YOU think you're "old?"

Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,427,073 times
Quote:
It's only offensive because you my dear Cheryl, have such low self-esteem and take that so personally. You're a drop-dead gorgeous 30-something.
Hmmff!!!

I don't see anything written about a breathtakingly handsome 50-something!!!

(JG mopes off with head hung low....)

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It's only offensive because you my dear Cheryl, have such low self-esteem and take that so personally. You're a drop-dead gorgeous 30-something. I don't know why when I say the word "old" you think I'm referencing you when you are nowhere NEAR being "old" in my eyes. You're not only young at heart, but you also look like you could blend in on an undergraduate campus like my own and still have to get carded when going out. Why do YOU think you're "old?"
Paul, I do not have low self esteem NOR do I think I am OLD....who do you think you are to say such a thing? You don't know me. You are constantly making negative comments against anyone you consider to be "old" which would be anyone over 25 in your eyes. Discrimination comes in many forms, "my dear", against black, against white, against GAYS, AND against people of different ages. You lump people together in certain age groups and make sweeping assumptions about them. I bet you wouldn't let that fly if someone made a sweeping assumption about all gays, so As for my self esteem, I'm quite comfortable with myself, in fact comfortable enough to speak up against the constant ageist remarks you make here, TYVM.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM

You said that you in particular, Cheryl, are offended when someone complains about old people. I took that to mean that you, Cheryl, feel threatened about your age, even though I do NOT see why you would feel as such. If someone makes fun of teenagers I may think it's in poor taste, but why on Earth would I be personally offended by such a remark? Are heterosexuals offended if someone makes an anti-gay slur? No. (At least not the ones here in NEPA).

Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
You said that you in particular, Cheryl, are offended when someone complains about old people. I took that to mean that you, Cheryl, feel threatened about your age, even though I do NOT see why you would feel as such. If someone makes fun of teenagers I may think it's in poor taste, but why on Earth would I be personally offended by such a remark? Are heterosexuals offended if someone makes an anti-gay slur? No. (At least not the ones here in NEPA).
And I'm telling you you took it to mean the wrong thing. I don't have to be old to be offended against ageist remarks, just as one doesn't need to be black to be offended by racist remarks or gay to be offended by anti-gay remarks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania