Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM

407 posts, read 966,827 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have posted and been reading here for awhile. If all goes according to plan I may be heading (from Long Island) to Scranton AND Wilkes-Barre this weekend. I would like to park and walk in the center of both cities. Only one problem...I don't really know where that would be. Would anyone have any suggestions on specifically what streets I should go to where I can easily park and walk around for a few hours. I'd like to see the downtown areas. I have other places to go, but I plan on spending a couple of hours in each city. I know this is last minute, any replies will be much appreciated. I'll also be in East Stroudsburg for a bit if anyone has any suggestions for there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Hello. I have posted and been reading here for awhile. If all goes according to plan I may be heading (from Long Island) to Scranton AND Wilkes-Barre this weekend. I would like to park and walk in the center of both cities. Only one problem...I don't really know where that would be. Would anyone have any suggestions on specifically what streets I should go to where I can easily park and walk around for a few hours. I'd like to see the downtown areas. I have other places to go, but I plan on spending a couple of hours in each city. I know this is last minute, any replies will be much appreciated. I'll also be in East Stroudsburg for a bit if anyone has any suggestions for there. Thanks.
Both cities'
have many parkades in thier downtowns. You can't miss them. Just pick one.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Hello!

Ideally here is my recommendation for you to follow. You should look into staying at the Quality Inns in Pittston (formerly Victoria Inns), which is right along I-81 at Exit 175 and is equidistant to both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

From I-81 you'd want to take the Central Scranton Expressway exit (Exit 185) into the downtown area. At the light near the murals make a left onto Jefferson Avenue and then follow the bend around (past the Radisson Hotel and Kildare's Irish Pub) to make a left at your second light onto South Washington Avenue. Immediately turn left into the parking garage of the Mall at Steamtown (free parking). I've parked here on numerous occasions and have never had a problem with being hassled, as there are simply too many vehicles to keep track of as to who is there to patronize mall stores and who is there just to meander around Center City. From the garage you'll have the downtown at your fingertips. Generally speaking you'll want to explore the areas bounded by Lackawanna Avenue (Steamtown area) to the south, Jefferson Avenue to the east, Mifflin Avenue to the west, and perhaps Mulberry Street to the north.

You won't find enough to do to spend hour after hour in Downtown Scranton, but I'd recommend Brixx at 130 North Washington Avenue for a quick lunch (burgers, salads, soups, wraps, etc.) Their potato skins are also out of this world for an appetizer! You'll also want to take the catwalk (weather-permitting) from the second-floor food court at the mall out into the Steamtown National Historic Site. You may enjoy checking out the nearby Electric City Trolley Museum (to learn why we're called "The Electric City"), or even take a nice train excursion. Also downtown is the Casey Laundry Building along Center Street (narrow alleyway between North Washington and Adams Avenues) where you'll find a used book store, a gift shop, and an art gallery. The architecture downtown is very quaint, and while Scrantonians are rough around the edges and might say "Why the hell would you want to vacation here?" to you, they'll still be very accommodating and helpful in any inquiries you may have.

To access the Diamond City from your hotel take I-81 South five miles to Exit 170 (Wilkes-Barre). This will dump you onto Route 309 (North Cross-Valley Expressway). Take Exit 2 (Center City) and then take a left at the end of the offramp onto Wilkes-Barre Boulevard. Follow this road southbound (beware of the man-eating potholes as you near downtown) and take a right at what I believe is your sixth light (after Conyngham, Butler, Scott, Coal, and East Market) onto East Northampton Street (there should be a McDonald's near the corner if I'm not mistaken). Proceed past the theater and make a right onto North Franklin Street (where you are faced with a "DO NOT ENTER" sign dead ahead). Immediately on your right a few buildings up turn right into the Boscov's parking garage for easy parking, and if you decide to make a purchase in this department store you can have your ticket validated for free parking.

Some points of interest here will be Public Square (it sucks you're not coming in May when everything will be in bloom and when the immensely popular Thursday Farmers' Market will be in session), the stretch of South Main Street between the square and East Northampton Street (perhaps one of the most revitalized stretches in the downtown), the riverfront project (which once again won't be completed for a couple of months), and the campuses of both King's College and Wilkes University.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the info. It's funny you mention coming when the weather is better...we are thinking of moving to the area in a year or so. I told my wife the other day that I want to see it this time of year as well as summer (we'll come back in August probably) so that we don't only see it when it's at it's best. So I am actually looking forward to seeing this time of year too. I did plan on checking out the Steamtown mall as well as the Wyoming mall at some point, so I probably will park at the mall as you suggest. I may just follow some of your suggestions...and I appreciate the detailed info. I am going to print this out and take it with me! I'll get back to you in a few days and let you know how it all went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello!

Ideally here is my recommendation for you to follow. You should look into staying at the Quality Inns in Pittston (formerly Victoria Inns), which is right along I-81 at Exit 175 and is equidistant to both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

From I-81 you'd want to take the Central Scranton Expressway exit (Exit 185) into the downtown area. At the light near the murals make a left onto Jefferson Avenue and then follow the bend around (past the Radisson Hotel and Kildare's Irish Pub) to make a left at your second light onto South Washington Avenue. Immediately turn left into the parking garage of the Mall at Steamtown (free parking). I've parked here on numerous occasions and have never had a problem with being hassled, as there are simply too many vehicles to keep track of as to who is there to patronize mall stores and who is there just to meander around Center City. From the garage you'll have the downtown at your fingertips. Generally speaking you'll want to explore the areas bounded by Lackawanna Avenue (Steamtown area) to the south, Jefferson Avenue to the east, Mifflin Avenue to the west, and perhaps Mulberry Street to the north.

You won't find enough to do to spend hour after hour in Downtown Scranton, but I'd recommend Brixx at 130 North Washington Avenue for a quick lunch (burgers, salads, soups, wraps, etc.) Their potato skins are also out of this world for an appetizer! You'll also want to take the catwalk (weather-permitting) from the second-floor food court at the mall out into the Steamtown National Historic Site. You may enjoy checking out the nearby Electric City Trolley Museum (to learn why we're called "The Electric City"), or even take a nice train excursion. Also downtown is the Casey Laundry Building along Center Street (narrow alleyway between North Washington and Adams Avenues) where you'll find a used book store, a gift shop, and an art gallery. The architecture downtown is very quaint, and while Scrantonians are rough around the edges and might say "Why the hell would you want to vacation here?" to you, they'll still be very accommodating and helpful in any inquiries you may have.

To access the Diamond City from your hotel take I-81 South five miles to Exit 170 (Wilkes-Barre). This will dump you onto Route 309 (North Cross-Valley Expressway). Take Exit 2 (Center City) and then take a left at the end of the offramp onto Wilkes-Barre Boulevard. Follow this road southbound (beware of the man-eating potholes as you near downtown) and take a right at what I believe is your sixth light (after Conyngham, Butler, Scott, Coal, and East Market) onto East Northampton Street (there should be a McDonald's near the corner if I'm not mistaken). Proceed past the theater and make a right onto North Franklin Street (where you are faced with a "DO NOT ENTER" sign dead ahead). Immediately on your right a few buildings up turn right into the Boscov's parking garage for easy parking, and if you decide to make a purchase in this department store you can have your ticket validated for free parking.

Some points of interest here will be Public Square (it sucks you're not coming in May when everything will be in bloom and when the immensely popular Thursday Farmers' Market will be in session), the stretch of South Main Street between the square and East Northampton Street (perhaps one of the most revitalized stretches in the downtown), the riverfront project (which once again won't be completed for a couple of months), and the campuses of both King's College and Wilkes University.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Both cities'
have many parkades in thier downtowns. You can't miss them. Just pick one.
Thank you, my problem is I don't really know where the downtown is!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I kind of went, but not as planned. I did get to Scranton, I was there Saturday morning at 10AM, cold, windy, some rain...not a great day. Parked at Steamtown, walked the mall, walked a few blocks, had breakfast at a hole in the wall "Mamma's kitchen" or something like that. Had great conversation there, the waitresses were very helpful and I got a lot of local info there. Only stayed in Scranton for a short time. The city itself seemed fine, I'd like to go back another day when the weather is nicer. Off to Wilkes-Barre. Not my cup of tea at all as far as what I saw. Really did not like the city at all (I'm sure there are some nice areas I missed). Drove all around. Ended up at Wyoming Valley Mall. Nice mall, but just did not find the area what I expected or to my liking. By 2PM we were looking around for a hotel. The me and my wife had the same idea...and we never agree on anything...and the idea was to go home! That's what we did. Took an extra hour due to traffic at the GWB (4 hours total)...and that was that. I do plan on going back. Next time I want to concentrate on a few other areas and specifically look at different neighborhoods with the intent on looking at homes. I will go back, I realize that this was just a taste...now I have an idea what to expect. I appreciate the help, and suggestions. I want to plan a little better next time I go. My goal is to find a place to liev that is walking distance to shopping (Walmart would be nice) and cheap homes!
Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I kind of went, but not as planned. I did get to Scranton, I was there Saturday morning at 10AM, cold, windy, some rain...not a great day. Parked at Steamtown, walked the mall, walked a few blocks, had breakfast at a hole in the wall "Mamma's kitchen" or something like that. Had great conversation there, the waitresses were very helpful and I got a lot of local info there. Only stayed in Scranton for a short time. The city itself seemed fine, I'd like to go back another day when the weather is nicer. Off to Wilkes-Barre. Not my cup of tea at all as far as what I saw. Really did not like the city at all (I'm sure there are some nice areas I missed). Drove all around. Ended up at Wyoming Valley Mall. Nice mall, but just did not find the area what I expected or to my liking. By 2PM we were looking around for a hotel. The me and my wife had the same idea...and we never agree on anything...and the idea was to go home! That's what we did. Took an extra hour due to traffic at the GWB (4 hours total)...and that was that. I do plan on going back. Next time I want to concentrate on a few other areas and specifically look at different neighborhoods with the intent on looking at homes. I will go back, I realize that this was just a taste...now I have an idea what to expect. I appreciate the help, and suggestions. I want to plan a little better next time I go. My goal is to find a place to liev that is walking distance to shopping (Walmart would be nice) and cheap homes!
Thanks again.
Next time you are in Scranton you should try some of the historical tours. There is on that starts at noon every Saturday at the Library (N. Washington and Vine St.) and the Scranton Cultural Center (Masonic Temple) has a building tour at 1 p.m. on Saturdays. Lots of beautiful and historic buildings in the downtown. My favorite is the Woolworth's Estate ( yes, the family that owned the Woolworth's Five and Dime). The city has an amazing history.

As for Walmart, it is not in the city proper. It's in a commercial area in Dickson City on Commerce Blvd.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
As for Walmart, it is not in the city proper. It's in a commercial area in Dickson City on Commerce Blvd.

And thank GOD for that

Old 04-16-2009, 04:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
And thank GOD for that
Hooray! I've finally met another individual who shares my disdain for Wal-Mart!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hooray! I've finally met another individual who shares my disdain for Wal-Mart!
Make that three. You couldn't pay me enough to step foot in that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania