Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I get along well with all of my co-workers and neighbors and have made a good number of friends here in my short time.
As long as they don't touch your girlfriend!!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
As long as they don't touch your girlfriend!!

Commish,

You couldnt have said it better lol

Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Quote:
YOU dont like people from NJ/NY moving here.

That comment might hold water if I wasn't born and raised in NJ and still have family there as well.......Ah yes thats right I am not a native of NEPA and seen both sides of the Delaware up close. Nice try though.

Commish I don't really care either away about some flag that people choose to fly....To be honest my friends of color could care less as well. Its just a flag and not a klan rally.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
That comment might hold water if I wasn't born and raised in NJ and still have family there as well.......Ah yes thats right I am not a native of NEPA and seen both sides of the Delaware up close. Nice try though.

Commish I don't really care either away about some flag that people choose to fly....To be honest my friends of color could care less as well. Its just a flag and not a klan rally.
OMG!! I forgot.. your the ONLY person on this forum to NOT be from NEPA

I grew up in elizabeth NJ. I still have family there.. i have family in NY, FL, CT, NOLA... you being from NJ and having family there has nothing to do with what the flag represents and why its wrong.

I dont know where you grew up or who you grew up near.. but black folk do NOT like that flag.. PERIOD. I am dating a black woman and she gets upset every time she sees it. so does her family who is from NJ.. and Allentown, And Chicago, and New York.. no matter where you go this flag gathers BAD feelings.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Quote:
After living hear for a year and half thats an incorrect statement.

People from NEPA truly dont mind people from NJ/NY moving here. YOU dont like people from NJ/NY moving here.

The people from NEPA dont like CRIMINALS moving here... regardless of where they are from.

I get along well with all of my co-workers and neighbors and have made a good number of friends here in my short time.
Didn't you say that I don't like people from NJ/NY moving here?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Didn't you say that I don't like people from NJ/NY moving here?
Because you are from NJ doesnt absolve you from that comment.

People from NEPA dont mind me being here judging from my neighbors and co-workers.. so i told you that was an incorrect statement.

And you worded the comment in a way that you being from NJ allows you to point out that black people are ok with the flag which again.. is generally incorrect. there may be a small excemption.. but thats not the general reality.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Well let me first off apologize to Retired Law for bringing him one heck of a bloody mess of a political brou-ha-ha unintentionally! LOL! I know of the alleged "racist" connotations that the Confederate flag conjures up in the minds of African-Americans, and I also know that many Southerners use the flag as a symbol of Southern pride or unity to take with them as they travel or relocate to other areas. However, I was just wondering if there were any other meanings behind holding the symbol near and dear to one's heart as I know there aren't that many Southern transplants in our area, and I was HOPING that there really wasn't that much overt racism in our region either. Besides "having Southern pride" or "being a racist" are there ANY alternative meanings to displaying the flag on your vehicle, on your home, etc.

As far as the nasty "transplant" debate this thread has taken, Dan, you DO realize that both The Commish and I are natives of the immediate Scranton area AND tend to agree politically in many ways with Sheena and MovingOutofNJ, right? Does that make us "transplants" too just because we don't agree with the "old school" mentality around here? I refuse to accept the fact that there are that many racists around here (I sure as hell know I can count the number of Southern transplants I've met on one hand over the years), hence why I started this thread. I just wanted to know WHY so many in NEPA love the Confederate flag. As far as MovingOutofNJ is concerned, if every NJ transplant is as good-looking as he is, then I say keep 'em coming! As far as Sheena is concerned, you should feel VERY welcomed in our area. As MovingOutofNJ said, 99.9% of the locals don't care WHERE you come here from as long as you're a law-abiding and considerate person. It just so happens to be that the majority of our recent violent crimes have been committed quite coincidentally by folks from NJ or NYC.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM

And to spare myself any infractions-- I'm retiring from this thread. I've made my point clear.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times
Quote:
Freedom means many things.. one being your opinion..

Freedom also means that you are not enslaved.

People Like USA 1 dont live with freedom...

People like USA 1 live in fear.. They mistake their right to bear arms as their right to shoot anyone who steps on their lawn to pick up a dime they dropped. Or to any person walking down the street that they feel is "suspicious".

I guess People like him feel that the United States Flag isn't tough enough. That successfully defeating England wasnt tough enough... He's certainly not talking about living conditions... Up North during the Civil War.. under the US flag.. people worked in factories and on Farms to get by during ridiculously Harsh winters... Down South.. SLAVES did the work for the most flamboyant people in the country, the Slave Masters!! While the slave masters sat on their lawn With their Bonnets sipping lemonade.

Now while you have your Freedom to speak your opinion.. please find the freedom to explain how the US Flag somehow isnt tough enough. Explain to the 2 million people who have lost their job in the first 3 months that they dont have it tough. They cant have slaves do their work for them.
You assume alot of things, for instance me being male.

I am not.

And also the Confederate Flag being a racist symbol.

It is not.

And me living in fear, I grew up on the streets of Manhattan.

Not a whole lot scrares me.

And since I have a job and a life and there is no point to arguing with ignorant people this will be my last post.

I can tell by the way you talk there is nothing tough about you.

Unfortunatly for us hard working tax paying types there are to many people like you.

I don't understand why you left NJ, it sounds perfect for you.

Please go back.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
And to spare myself any infractions-- I'm retiring from this thread. I've made my point clear.
You shouldn't warrant any infractions. A heated debate won't garner you one as long as you don't use profane language, call someone names, harass people, troll around, etc. Take it from the person who may just be the MOST "controversial" of our forum's half-million members when I tell you that the higher-ups encourage spirited and professional debates like these because it generates a LOT of forum traffic and can attract new members. All you need to do is be respectful of your opponents, and things are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania