U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 PM

2,632 posts, read 1,654,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Hmm, two 1-post posters sticking up for PCP, wonder if that person has a place for sale there...
I actually started to think that...

Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

19 posts, read 33,265 times
If I am piecing some of the bits together right, here is what I see.....

PCP was nice in the 80's and 90's. Somewhere between the late 90's and early 2000's, it turned trashy (generally speaking, not including all residents of course).

In the past year or so, depending on who you believe, it may still be a trash pit or it may be on the rise. Moreover, there may be some sections that are nicer than others. There seem to be a lot of rental listings on Craigslist....but there also seems to be fewer crimes reported. Does that mean the thugs are moving out and crime is going down, or the nice people are fleeing and the papers are tired of covering PCP crime (after a while, its just not news anymore).

We have a place over here in Ohio that seems very similar called Trotwood. The area is mostly farmland on the West Side and city-sprawl on the East Side. They have more crime there than in downtown Dayton. Land is cheap because of the bad rap, and its plentiful because of farms breaking up, so every inner-city dreamer moves his or her family out to Trotwood to escape a Dayton fate, only to find that the city and the guns and the violence are there waiting. Meanwhile, there are still a lot of very nice people who live in Trotwood, and if you drive for about 5 mins in any direction, the crime rates drop.

So now that I've bored everyone.....

I'm going to visit PCP around the 4th of July as part of my greater WB-Scranton tour to look for a home. While all the hullabaloo has made me reconsider renting, I just HAVE to go see the place out of morbid curiosity. I'll let you know what I see when I get back.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 PM

70 posts, read 192,671 times
I worked as a security guard at PCP from some time before becoming a police officer. I worked there from 1998 to 2000, and then became a cop in a nearby municipality. I left that department in 2006 to pursue other opportunities, and now work in a different county.

Anyway, my information may be a bit dated, but here it is anyway.

PCP has more than it's fair share of troubles. When I worked there, we routinely had violent and property crimes reported. Gangs were prolific, despite what some would tell you (including the Pocono Record and PMRPD) at the time.

When I left there, the problems continued. I spent time in PCP as a cop backing up PMRPD on a variety of calls. Listening to the police radio, one would certainly get the idea that PCP is troubled.

However, most of the scum that cause these problems bother the other scum that live there. The good folks in the community weren't bothered much, which explains the rose-colored glasses that they continue to view their community through. They're simply not privy to the information about what is truly happening there, so they assume the problems don't exist or are grossly exaggerated.

The sad truth is that this area of Monroe County is in sad shape and has been for some time.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM

127 posts, read 180,952 times
I am assuming the thread started has a house for sale at that zoo. PCP is the worst zoo I have evere seen.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM

697 posts, read 810,501 times
PCP is a dump and should be bulldozed and given back to nature, as was stated either here earlier or on another thread. The only people that can love PCP are ones from the sewers in NYC cuz they know no better. Footprint lots, poorly built homes, foreclosures, section 8's, gangs, illiterate idiots, trash, a corrupt board, bully kids, well, you get the picture. Such a darn shame cuz the nature is gorgeous and the animals (real 4 footed ones) are just precious. I lived there and it was a horror. Thank God I never have to go back. I used to say that NY and NJ were cleaning out all the mentally challenged and sending them to PCP and I really don't think I was wrong.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,247,316 times
WOW, J5K5LY, and you're just being easy on them and touching the surface!! That place only needs a serious bulldozing...that's all!! It's nothing but a second home to those who are accustomed to living in that type of environment and nothing better!!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,670,982 times
Party In DA HOOD ,,,,,,

$5.00 at the gate . Body armor not provided ,Bring your own..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM

697 posts, read 810,501 times
Don't need to run to Canada. I moved back to the east end of L.I. 7 months ago. Yes, there are illegals everywhere but there is not city sewer trash here. The illegals here are actually very hard working people that tend mostly to the farms. They are not gangs, they are not drug dealers. They mind their own business. On the contrary, PCP is full of strange people and the dregs of society with bully pit bulls (and I love all dogs- just not what these sub humans do to them). PCP is full of druggies. PCP is vandalized constantly. PCP has gangs. PCP is a haven for misfits and sexual offenders.
Need I say more? Cuz I will if you want!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM

127 posts, read 180,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio77 View Post
Suggestion. Why don't all you negative responders run to Canada before the illegals move to eastern PA like Stroudsburg. Keep running! Remember this.
You can run but you can not hide! NYC my a--!
Which one of the houses for sale is yours?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 12,407 times
I work for a local security alarm company which serves a wide area of the poconos, we are constantly installing seclurity alarms in every section of PCP. 90 percent of the time were installing right after the customer was burglarized. Then we hear the stories from the homeowner about how bad its gotten there.At our office every morning, we get a list of alarms that activated the day before, many from PCP with police dispatched. Its sad when a new person moves in there, and were doing there alarm, and they dont have a clue what PCP really is, they think its such a safe place because of the gates and guards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania