U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,531,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktygirl View Post
Is APCP any worse than The Hide Out? I hear that's pretty bad too, but I'm sure those folks that live around the HO will just blame APCP for everything. Stop Hating and start working on a positive attitude...If you don't live in APCP then be happy you have no right or reason to bad mouth it.
There is exactly NO bad news coming from the Hide Out. It is a well respected and comfortable place. It is many, many, miles from APCP which is constantly in the news for horrendous crimes. There is nothing worse around the Poconos then that community.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 AM

63 posts, read 79,403 times
I really take offense at all of the outrageous claims being made about A.P.C.P. They are simply not true.
I've owned a home in A.P.C.P. for 20 years and have NEVER had any problems. The association is VERY strict when it comes to security, so much so it's, in my opinion, too much. No one can enter the community unless you live there or register your guests.

From what I see, almost all of the homes are very well taken care of and again, there are rules and regulations concerning upkeep of your grounds that everyone HAS to follow, or they are fined. Yes, there are some unoccupied homes that are up for sale and these are the ones that may need landscaping or better upkeep, but that's not the majority

I can't understand where all of this negative publicity is coming from, other than the fact that perhaps the real estate agents don't have free access to the properties to come and go as they please and have to get a pass from security and register every time they come in. Very time consuming for them , so perhaps they'd rather show other homes in other communities and steer people away from A.P.C.P. Or perhaps these rumors are being spread by those who are more upset by the influx of racial minorities coming into the area. Who knows what the motives are, but these negative feedbacks are being promoted by some organized group.

I also maintain an apt. in Weehawken NJ . It's a very upscale neighborhood , bordering on North Bergen, and Union City and West New York, all highly populated areas. Everyday, yes everyday, in the local paper, there is news of something going on, yet no one blows these things out of proportion like they do in A.P.C.P. Property values keep going up, people aren't overly concerned or upset like they are in P.C.P. Why?? Why all the hype? Why is there a town crier or a "Chicken Little" stirring up fear in P.C.P.? Look up the police blotters and you will actually see there isn't really a crime problem. Are there drugs, probably, but that's a problem everywhere. So what's the story?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,567,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ponder View Post
I really take offense at all of the outrageous claims being made about A.P.C.P. They are simply not true.
I've owned a home in A.P.C.P. for 20 years and have NEVER had any problems. The association is VERY strict when it comes to security, so much so it's, in my opinion, too much. No one can enter the community unless you live there or register your guests.

From what I see, almost all of the homes are very well taken care of and again, there are rules and regulations concerning upkeep of your grounds that everyone HAS to follow, or they are fined. Yes, there are some unoccupied homes that are up for sale and these are the ones that may need landscaping or better upkeep, but that's not the majority

I can't understand where all of this negative publicity is coming from, other than the fact that perhaps the real estate agents don't have free access to the properties to come and go as they please and have to get a pass from security and register every time they come in. Very time consuming for them , so perhaps they'd rather show other homes in other communities and steer people away from A.P.C.P. Or perhaps these rumors are being spread by those who are more upset by the influx of racial minorities coming into the area. Who knows what the motives are, but these negative feedbacks are being promoted by some organized group.

I also maintain an apt. in Weehawken NJ . It's a very upscale neighborhood , bordering on North Bergen, and Union City and West New York, all highly populated areas. Everyday, yes everyday, in the local paper, there is news of something going on, yet no one blows these things out of proportion like they do in A.P.C.P. Property values keep going up, people aren't overly concerned or upset like they are in P.C.P. Why?? Why all the hype? Why is there a town crier or a "Chicken Little" stirring up fear in P.C.P.? Look up the police blotters and you will actually see there isn't really a crime problem. Are there drugs, probably, but that's a problem everywhere. So what's the story?

Latin Kings ,
Bloods ,
Crips,
Ms-13
prostitution
drug dealing
drive by shootings
arson
child molesters
2 lakes with no fish and you cant use em
a few pools with 2000 plus kids in it
security that just sucks ,
Dues that are 100 times what they were 20 yrs ago .
sounds like a great place to live and raise a family

Shall I go On .. Cause I can..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 PM

690 posts, read 776,722 times
Makes ya wonder.... If 12ponder was so upset by the allegations, why bring up an old post that is all negative? LOL
River- if ya want I can add to your list too!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I don't know, maybe I'm missing somethings........I spend approximately 8 months out of the year there and have NEVER come across any of the things you describe. About 5 years ago quite a few teenagers began hanging out by the picnic and pool areas, but they didn't cause any problems, just a place for kids to hang together with their friends in summer. Because they were minorities, people might have wrongly assumed they were gang members because of that. Personally, I've never been bothered by anyone. Always took my grandkids to the park and pool, never had a problem. Anyway, for the last several years you don't really see groups of teens hanging out anymore. It's more families.

Also, you brought up a valid point about a time when the pools were over crowded with people who were running day care camps from their homes during summer months. There were a lot of complaints and those complaints were heard. Now that problem has been resolved. Every year all residents who want to use the pool , have to get a seasonal photo ID, with proof of identity, as well as being a member in good standing. And if you have a guest you want to bring along, there is a $3 fee per day. So that got rid of the people who were abusing the system.
Even for extended family, you have to provide a birth certificate , as well as a marriage certificate if the name is different, in order to get seasonal passes for them, also for a fee. I had to do that for my daughter and 2 grandchildren and was really ticked off at how strict things had become. But you know what, it worked. Pools and recreation areas are quiet and underpopulated now.

As far as prostitution, gangs, crime etc., are you an eyewitness to these things? I've never seen it, at least not in my neighbor hood.. Neither do I see any news articles in the papers that would even remotely suggest these are daily, weekly or even monthly happenings. Yes, there are isolated crimes being committed as you mentioned about a drive by shooting. That was the only one I heard about or read about in the papers in the last 10 yrs. Yet there are those that jump on the bandwagon and will use that isolated incident to back up their argument. A few snowflakes don't make for a blizzard, and that's exactly what the long time locals would have you believe.

When I bought my house, it used to be a vacation community. Very quiet and under populated. When people started to move in the area, especially from urban areas, it really pissed me off. I felt exactly the way you do. I had major concerns about who these people were and how it was going to impact "my" quality of life. Especially when school and property taxes went up as well as sewer/water charges. Immediately I blamed this influx of people from NY and NJ. I used to think of selling my house just for that very reason. However over time, I saw a lot of these fears were unfounded and blown out of proportion. The only problem I had last summer were some kids setting off firecrackers around the 4th of July. I called security and they sent 2 squad cars within 5 minutes to stop the problem. But that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Latin Kings ,
Bloods ,
Crips,
Ms-13
prostitution
drug dealing
drive by shootings
arson
child molesters
2 lakes with no fish and you cant use em
a few pools with 2000 plus kids in it
security that just sucks ,
Dues that are 100 times what they were 20 yrs ago .
sounds like a great place to live and raise a family

Shall I go On .. Cause I can..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,744,534 times
Quote:
I can't understand where all of this negative publicity is coming from, other than the fact that perhaps the real estate agents don't have free access to the properties to come and go as they please and have to get a pass from security and register every time they come in. Very time consuming for them , so perhaps they'd rather show other homes in other communities and steer people away from A.P.C.P.
Sounds just like getting into Pocono Springs, The Hideout, and Hemlock Farms...I sell in those places all the time.

To be fair, APCP is out of my market area so I'd never show homes in there, I would refer it out to someone from Monroe County. But trust me, I highly doubt that the bad reputation APCP has is due to real estate agents being annoyed by security!!!!!!!!!!!! That's patently absurd!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,567,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Sounds just like getting into Pocono Springs, The Hideout, and Hemlock Farms...I sell in those places all the time.

To be fair, APCP is out of my market area so I'd never show homes in there, I would refer it out to someone from Monroe County. But trust me, I highly doubt that the bad reputation APCP has is due to real estate agents being annoyed by security!!!!!!!!!!!! That's patently absurd!

LOL ..

Living with their head in the sand and thinking they are in paradise

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
PCP was a horrible place to be , glad I got out of it!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM

No, absolutely not Riverside. I'm basing my opinions on experience and from what I read in the newspapers. I'm tired of people who don't actually live here, who have no first hand experience, trashing my community. Your negative comments, based on opinion, are directly affecting "MY" property values and I resent it. You are painting a picture of P.C.P. as being equivalent to living in the Bronx! Ridiculous!

Every community has to deal with undesirables but that's not the norm. If you have 10 low lives among 20,000 people, you don't focus on the 10 and say the whole community is no good. Please back up your claims of rampant crime, by actually quoting newspaper articles or police records that support what you say. I'm not talking about isolated incidents. How many this week ...this month....last 3 months...last 6 months? Please, I'm sure we'd all like to be informed of the facts so we can base our opinions on the truth.

Karen, I have no idea of what's really going on with the real estate agents in my area. By suggesting the strict access , I was being "kind". More than likely there is a "redline" practice going on by a small number of unscrupulous agents out to make a quick buck. I'm sure you and your associates don't practice these tactics as it's illegal, but there are many in the industry who do in order to create a higher turnover rate, easy money. It's an old story and this is what I feel is going on in P.C.P.

Are there undesirables in the area, yes, but no more than in any other community.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 AM

As a matter of fact, I just checked out the demographics on A.P.C.P. and the crime rate is well below the national average, falling in the 30's compared to 100 being the N. average. Check it out for yourself.
Coolbaugh Township A Pocono Country Place Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania