Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times

Advertisements

Hoping this is the end of this thread once and for all. My son is on the Pocono Mt. Regional Police Dept.
and I know what they have gone through with PCP...Having said that there are decent people living there. It's such a shame that certain groups have ruined the community and it's reputation is far and
wide. So Here's hoping the decent folks will take back their community at some point. Good luck to all.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Hoping this is the end of this thread once and for all. My son is on the Pocono Mt. Regional Police Dept.
and I know what they have gone through with PCP...Having said that there are decent people living there. It's such a shame that certain groups have ruined the community and it's reputation is far and
wide. So Here's hoping the decent folks will take back their community at some point. Good luck to all.

PMRPD is a Joke ..

Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM

63 posts, read 133,723 times
The only way for decent fold to take back their community is to get their voices heard on threads such as this. I'm not involved in the social aspects of the community, so my contacts are limited. Hopefully when I return, I can at least encourage my neighbors to post as well. The area is beautiful, well maintained, well organized and strictly run, plus there are a majority of good homes with good values represented there.

In today's housing market, home sales are bottoming out even in the very best of neighborhoods. So where do R.E. agencies generate income to make up for that loss? In rentals. And as you're probably aware, quite a number of R.E. agencies do their main advertising in the urban newspapers of NJ and NY. Attracting diverse life styles into the area, among which is also a criminal element.
Then you have the home builders who are struggling to stay in business right now because of the glut of decent homes on the market, at reduced prices, especially n P.C.P. Makes you wonder, how do they compete? Does this negativity work to their advantage or against?

So what it comes down to is how do we counteract that trend? Encourage more decent people to move in with their families . You don't do that with negativity. That perpetuates the problem......My grandfather used to say, birds of a feather, flock together, and that's true of humans as well. If you want to see the area recover, then appeal those you want to attract, rather than discouraging them.

Personally, I feel this thread "should" be kept going so the otherside of the coin is presented. There are many good homes for sale, and if advertised properly, these RE agencies could make a lot of money, especially in this market where the average middle income family is finding decent housing, at affordable prices dwindling.

Anyway, thanks for posting Delray...

Quote:

Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Hey Ponder , Do you know you dont own the land your house sits on ?

I bet you did not even know that did ya ?

Look into it ..

Spring is coming , Spruce it up and sell it .. OR rent it out to section 8 housing ,,The Govmt will pay 3/4 of the rent , The tenant pays the difference , Get out while you can . Like that sewer bill every month ? EVEN IF YOU DONT USE IT .. Pfffstt,,, the place is a dump.. Let it be .. It'll never get better , only worse , I'll bet on it ,,
B section aint that bad , But way too many houses in such a small area , HOLLA 1/8 or 1/4 of an acre of Paradise In the Lovely , Romantic , scenic Pocono mountains ..

Dana's Is a good place too eat .. Ted is an awesome cook. I have not been there since Dana Left though I cant speak of The current state of that place

Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
Dana left??????????

Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

63 posts, read 133,723 times
That's an interesting point River, I'll have to look into that. There's a big ta-doo going on with another development up Bushkill or Rt 209 somewhere. I forget the name, something like "Pocono Country Club" or similar where the people found out they don't actually own their homes or land, I didn't entirely read the article.....Anyway, people have been buying and selling for years in P.C.P. without any problems. Still worth getting more info on.

Speaking of paying for water and services, I just received my Coolbaugh Township taxes and again, it went up to over $650. Between the County, School taxes of over $3500 and P.C.P. dues arond $1200, as well as water, I'm now paying close to $6,000 a yr. At this point,when my husband retires, I worry about moving to Pa. at all. Taxes rising, winters too hard, and hospitals too far, ...but my mtg has been paid up for the last 15 yrs and my house is in good shape, neighbors nice, and the area is pretty. Lots to consider.

I do see on some websites people rent out their houses for $800-$1200 a week to seasonal vacationers, especially with all of our ammenities,..... sounds like very good money without all the hassels of long term tenants. However I'd be skeeved at the thought of strangers being in my house. I'd want my house kept spotless and I doubt renters are neat freaks.

Having been born and raised in a city environment, I'm used to houses having small lots, so that doesn't bother me. Even here in the city, my neighbors keep to themselves, everyone goes about their own business. Same in the Poconos, while I'm a friendly person, I enjoy my solitude, keep to myself, but still like to have people living close by. Makes me feel less isolated.

As far as Dana's, we went there when it first opened up years ago, food was O.K., but not great. Then went back again a couple of years ago but there was too much smoke, I just can't stand the smell. ...Anyway, I like the Pocono Brewing Company down 611, Red Robin, Olive Garden and Long Horn. Pizza I make myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Hey Ponder , Do you know you dont own the land your house sits on ?

I bet you did not even know that did ya ?

Look into it ..

Spring is coming , Spruce it up and sell it .. OR rent it out to section 8 housing ,,The Govmt will pay 3/4 of the rent , The tenant pays the difference , Get out while you can . Like that sewer bill every month ? EVEN IF YOU DONT USE IT .. Pfffstt,,, the place is a dump.. Let it be .. It'll never get better , only worse , I'll bet on it ,,
B section aint that bad , But way too many houses in such a small area , HOLLA 1/8 or 1/4 of an acre of Paradise In the Lovely , Romantic , scenic Pocono mountains ..

Dana's Is a good place too eat .. Ted is an awesome cook. I have not been there since Dana Left though I cant speak of The current state of that place

Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Dana left??????????

She cheated on Ted a few yrs back and took off with the guy ..

Ted has been running the place himself since

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
What's with the cheating now-a-days? What a shame. Well I liked Dana back in the day and enjoyed the atmosphere when eating there. Best thing I remember was the New England clam chowder! Boy, could he make soups! That place was still empty when I moved there and we were so pleased to have an ambitious young couple start the restaurant. I don't care for the corp places that much and like the local places better. I used to love the quesadillas (sp?) at Burkes Tavern. If you go there during lunch or dinner, you'll miss all the drunks.
As far I know, in PCP, you own the land. I recall some development in Pa, not too far away, where the home owners found out they don't own the land but PCP is not like that. As tiny as the lots are, and despite all the restrictions, it is yours to own and look at. LOL And if you're a neat person, you can either mow your 2x4 plot of weeds or rake your gravel.
Ponder, the houses that rent for a week or month or season are more like Pocono Lake. There are very few of those in PCP. PCP is more year round and there is no way it can demand such high rents. Alot of the rentals in there are section 8. If someone is going to pay to snowboard for a week, they will find a much nicer area to stay.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:38 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
I really do take exception to the poster who said PMRPD is a joke...so I get it any police officer is a joke
to you? Maybe when you need one some day you will reconsider, until then please don't mock these
fine young men who choose to make you safe. or better yet, why don't you join? if you think you can do
a better job..shame on you. they may not be the best but they do their job unless of course you want to
wait for the State Police to come?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I really do take exception to the poster who said PMRPD is a joke...so I get it any police officer is a joke
to you? Maybe when you need one some day you will reconsider, until then please don't mock these
fine young men who choose to make you safe. or better yet, why don't you join? if you think you can do
a better job..shame on you. they may not be the best but they do their job unless of course you want to
wait for the State Police to come?
Im a retired NYPD officer , They dont cover my area so It wont make a difference to me ..

What Them boys did to Officer Hartley was DEAD WRONG ,

They lost my respect , A woman Is just as able to do the job as any one of them men, She would not fold into them so they had her canned ..

The whole dept is a cess pool..

they have a least a dozen lawsuits open right now , and there has be demotions with in the dept

Plus PMRPD is a stepping stone for New officers , None stay long . They do their probation there and Leave for other dept's ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania