U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM

74 posts, read 184,577 times
Default heating oil companies and prices

Can anyone recommend heating oil companies in Pike county-Milford area? We had a delivery yesterday and was $2.98 a gallon...is this reasonable? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM

999 posts, read 2,044,985 times
Our last delivery in March was $1.79 per gallon, so I don't think that was reasonable. We have two 250-gallon tanks, so it could be that we get it a bit cheaper because it's a larger amount, but I still think $2.98 is too much. We get our oil from M & M Fuel in Archbald, but I don't know if they go all the way to Milford. I think your best bet is to get out the yellow pages and start calling around before your next delivery. Or make some calls now and find out what other local companies are charging, and if you still feel the price you were charged is way out of line, then call this company back and find out why they overcharged you.

Unread 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM

149 posts, read 308,418 times
$2.98 is a rip-off, really it shouldbe close to mirroring what you pay at the pumps. Call Sal or Frankie at FJ Hess & Sons - they do heating oil.... 570-839-1300

Unread 04-07-2009, 11:21 PM

19,841 posts, read 13,174,275 times
Quote:
$2.98 is a rip-off, really it shouldbe close to mirroring what you pay at the pumps.
Not necessarily. Having been in the solid fuel delivery business.... depends. I don't know what the current rates are but if you're out in the middle of no where it's not going o be the ame cost if the guy has to go around the corner to deliver it. Least that was the way I had to run my business but then again I serviced 5 counties from one location.

Quote:
so it could be that we get it a bit cheaper because it's a larger amount,
Certainly possible, I did that as well for full loads. Some places I wouldn't even go to unless they were taking full load. To be profitable on small deliveries especially if they are long hauls you need a lot of customers in the same area. If the truck isn't going fully loaded to the same area for the same profit margin it's hard to make anything.

Unread 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM

755 posts, read 1,447,880 times
We're in Shohola and we've used Pocono and Adavantage and they're usually within pennies of each other and very reasonable. One time we did pay 10 cents more b/c Advantage was able to deliver next day where Pocono told me they were behind and wouldn't be able to get here until the following week. Call Gerry @ Advantage...great guy...goes out of his way to help you out. They're right here in Shohola.

Unread 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 15,650 times
ff18wife~ you helped me get info when we were looking to move to PA. Well thank you! We are noe settled in Shohola and I was just on here to get info on Oil Co's. Again I will listen to what you have to say. Ironically I just talked w/ Pocono Oil and left a message for Advantage. Pocono Oil quoted me $2.15 but you have to do business w/ them 1 yr before they will move you out of the "cash" catagory. So to the people that had to pay $2.98 I'm sorry. I hope you get your oil issues solved and want to thank ya'll for being on here to help us "Nebies to Pa" out. It's absolutely georgouse here and the people are great.

Unread 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,603,835 times
When we got oil we always used Pocono Oil and Heat because they had the best prices of the local places we called and also the fastest delivery times.

Very happy now that we are going to use a wood stove this winter - we got rid of our oil furnace and have converted to electric - but it will only be a backup - the main source of heat will be our wood stove. No more being held hostage by the crazy ups and downs of the oil market. Hubby was able to cut down three huge dead hardwood trees over the weekend for someone, and they will probably take us through most of the winter. []

Unread 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM

755 posts, read 1,447,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wascal1231 View Post
ff18wife~ you helped me get info when we were looking to move to PA. Well thank you! We are noe settled in Shohola and I was just on here to get info on Oil Co's. Again I will listen to what you have to say. Ironically I just talked w/ Pocono Oil and left a message for Advantage. Pocono Oil quoted me $2.15 but you have to do business w/ them 1 yr before they will move you out of the "cash" catagory. So to the people that had to pay $2.98 I'm sorry. I hope you get your oil issues solved and want to thank ya'll for being on here to help us "Nebies to Pa" out. It's absolutely georgouse here and the people are great.
Glad to hear that you made it out here & settled in Shohola. Jerry @ Advantage is awesome and he's local right here in town. He definitely goes out of his way to take care of his customers. I know one time last year I needed oil BAD....Pocono couldn't make it until the following week. Jerry was like 10 cents more but he was here the next day. Then my driveway was icy...he parked out on the main road and dragged his line across my backyard to make sure I had oil.

Actually, I have to call this week to get prices.

Unread 09-22-2009, 09:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 8,655,195 times
I'm just glad I don't have oil heat anymore.....I don't know how people can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania