Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,172,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a recent alumnus of Pittston Area, an upper-middle-class public school district
I am pretty sure that Upper Middle Class is defined as a median household income around 100,000.00
I am also fairly confident that 100,000.00 is not the median income for Pittston area.
In all likelihood, this area is hard pressed to have any "real" upper middle class school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It was obvious to me that for all of the parking lots at the high school to be replete with Lexuses, BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, etc. that there had to be SOME people with "creative earnings," as my own parents earn twice our region's median household income combined and can't afford half of the luxuries I saw lower-earning faculty, administrators, maintenance staff, support staff, etc. driving around in or attired in.
This is why people have a hard time taking what you write seriously.

btw, what is Pittstons median household income?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 AM

513 posts, read 1,075,882 times
Star1234 - You lack perspective. The fact that 70% of the high school students are driving cars means you live in an affluent area.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM

6,657 posts, read 9,211,302 times
Does affluence (or lack of affluence) really matter in this situation? I know wealth envy is 'in' right now, but the alleged crimes could happen in any school district, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what kind of details are uncovered.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

703 posts, read 1,541,518 times
Take a look at the median household incomes for towns that comprise PASD (Courtesy of ever-useful City-Data!)

Pittston Twp: $51,172
Hughestown: $51,681
Jenkins Twp: $48,404
Yatesville: $57,473
Dupont: $40,004
Pittston: $33,550
Duryea: $39,868
Avoca: $43,292

Our standard of living is lower than other areas, but most put upper-middle class as "high 5 figures to low 6 figures." I don't think even the highest-earning PASD town, Yatesville, reaches that. And taken as a whole, the median of *all* the towns isn't even close to high 5 figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Does affluence (or lack of affluence) really matter in this situation? I know wealth envy is 'in' right now, but the alleged crimes could happen in any school district, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what kind of details are uncovered.
It relates to the subject of this thread, since the original poster (mis)characterized Pittston Area School District in a somewhat dubious manner, and since the original poster framed the debate around the school's affluence (from the teachers and administrators to its students).

Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,768,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I am pretty sure that Upper Middle Class is defined as a median household income around 100,000.00
I am also fairly confident that 100,000.00 is not the median income for Pittston area.
In all likelihood, this area is hard pressed to have any "real" upper middle class school district.
No....a MEDIAN income around $100,000 would definitely be upper class. For example, Lower Merion Township in the Main Line area of the Philly suburbs has a median income of $105,000, and that area is clearly upper class. I would think a median income in the $50,000+ range would label an area as upper middle class.

School districts such as Abington Heights, Crestwood, and Dallas are definitely upper middle class....they are definitely not working class blue collar areas, though parts of those districts may have some working class residents.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM

703 posts, read 1,541,518 times
I would defintely agree that Abington SD is solidly upper-middle.

The median incomes are huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
No....a MEDIAN income around $100,000 would definitely be upper class. For example, Lower Merion Township in the Main Line area of the Philly suburbs has a median income of $105,000, and that area is clearly upper class. I would think a median income in the $50,000+ range would label an area as upper middle class.
Sociologists would disagree with you.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star1234 View Post
As a student who has to look at the teacher cars...i never see "all of the parking lots at the high school to be replete with Lexus's, BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, etc."
Admit it, that was an exaggeration.
As far as an upper middle class school-sure, but more then 70 % of students, like myself, are driving very old cars.
Also, i live in Duryea in a very quaint house as do all of my friends.

As a graduate of PAHS (06) i remember seeing at least more then half of the parking student parking lot full of "mommy and daddy bought em'" cars, and i didn't even drive!

and at least more the half the student population lived in the neighboring developments. So 70% is high if you think about it.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 PM

94 posts, read 609,527 times
This nonsense has gone on too long around NEPA.

The quality of education has become so watered down from districts hiring teachers based on nepotism and who knows who instead of keeping the good teachers in the area.

Hopefully this hits a lot more districts so they are forced to do things on the up and up. There needs to be a hiring process put in place for every district in the area where qualified applicants are at least given a chance to interview for an open position.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,124,467 times
no matter what the class or income is,because of nepotism,school children here are getting a substandard education----based on what i have been seeing with the students that i come into contact with weekly-----spelling,sentence structure,punctuation is poor at best and this is among 12 year olds
i have worked with low income students in the south and they did much better----what is happening here?
a billion years ago,i received an excellent education in this area--i cannot fathom why things have downslided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania