Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 32,549 times

Advertisements

Hello. We have two young boys (one 22 months and the other 3 weeks) and we are looking at either the Hideout or Masthope for a weekend house. We live in Manhattan and will be driving out most weekends and would like to use this year round. I have done research, read post on this site and still cannot decide which of these two associations is right for us. they both seem to have ammenities year round (skiing or ice skating). Can any offer an opinion as to the main/subtle differences between them and which, in your opinion is a better option?

Thanks so much for any help and we look forward to spending many fun summers in PA (I grew up in Whitehall, so it is going back home for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Why not spend a week's vacation in the area and visit several of the communities before taking on the expense of buying a home? I'm sure any realtor in the area would show you several properties in each development so you could get an idea of what the place is like.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 AM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
Greentown has a great idea. You can also rent in the Hideout so you can check it out from the inside.

I live in the hideout and love it here. There are many activities for children and also adults. I dont know anything about Masthope so I cannot be partial. We are here now almost 9 months and dont have any complaints. I can also recommend a great builder that built my house. They made it stress free and you can get a new built home probably for the same price as an older home. Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
I hear good things about the Hideout and know a couple of people that live in there and are happy. Masthope got recent attention for illegal wiretapping with their community clubhouse. I STRONGLY suggest before making a major purchase at either location to speak to people that live the communities. I cannot emphasize the importance of doing your own homework. Best of luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 32,549 times
Thanks for the advice. I think renting there is a great idea and will look into it. Two questions: 1) does anyone have any good sites to view for rentals in that area; and 2) any idea of the cost to build a new house in either area?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Rentals are very hard to come by right now. Your best bet is to go through a realtor. I will dm you with the information. As far as cost goes there are others in the those locations that can better help you. I would also go on the MLS and check out the availablity of houses already for sale. It is a good time to build because many contractors are available for work.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I have a vacation home in the Hideout. We bought it several years ago because of the amenities (especially for our kids). I think that the Hideout has much more in the way of amenities. The one excepetion would be if you are a big skier. The Hideout has a relatively small ski hill that the kids will soon tire of if they are (or become) decent skiers. Masthope has Big Bear, which is much more challenging.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,122 times
We are looking for property now in Masthope. We will making a move next year sometime. It is a great community with lots to do for the kids. I can't wait for the long awaited change of pace from Long Island.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Seasonal rentals are very easy to come by...permanent are difficult. Of course you pay more for a seasonal rental, but you get an idea what the community is like without making an immediate investment. Here is a sight of someone I know who owns quite a few rentals. He probably has the largest amount of any one person. I know this man and his wife for years and they are good people.
Pocono Vacation Rentals - House Home and Cabin Rental Experts If you are interested in any one particular one, I could scope out the location for you....

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
Here is another site for rentals in the hideout.

Mod edit- Please do not link to specific realtors.

If you want to look at homes go to www.pare.org this will show homes in alot of communities. Just click on residential and then you can go and scroll down to find each community and look at homes.

Prices of new homes vary. It depends on what you are looking for. I have a great builder and I am only recommending them because they actually take pride in their work. I dont have a single complaint about my home!!! If you want the info dm me and I give you the information.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-20-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania