Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

276 posts, read 676,492 times

Advertisements

I really haven't visited the town of Stroudsburg at night yet. From what I can see of the town during the day, I am very much charmed by it, and can't wait to spend a spring/summer afternoon strolling the streets and learning about all of the shops and businesses around the area.

I'm really happy with the decision I made to move here. I'm sitting out on the deck enjoying looking out onto about 2 acres of beautiful manicured lawn that makes up my property and that of a couple of neighbors. The weather is absolutely beautiful, and I can hear the crickets chirping in the background. I opened all of the windows in my house to cool it down, and will soon retire to bed tonight while listening to those same melodies I am listening to now on my desk.

I just finished cooking a couple of burgers on my grill, and am enjoying a nice dinner after a "hard day" at the office. I love this time of year, but I've never loved it more then I do now living here in the Poconos.

I know people talk about how you have to commute so far to get a good job while living here, and how "closed minded" folks are who live here, but I have absolutely no regrets. I can't wait to go to Shawnee Mountain to see the fireworks this 4th of July with my family. I bet it will be simply amazing, as will the amazing natural setting in the background that will bestow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 AM

7 posts, read 51,408 times
Don't come to Stroudsburg if you are white, rural or republican:

While visiting in Stroudsburg I was shocked at the ignorance of some people. During a conversation about politics someone called me a "racist hick" because I was a conservative from a rural community. In addition, I heard a group of guys along a street (Main, I believe) calling their white friend "honky" and "cracker". Now, although shocked, I realize these were probably exceptional situations and would reserve calling the community anti-white, etc. The author of this thread obviously sees things differently. When one group of people decide to harass a minority it is proof positive that Stroudsburg is a community run rampant with bigotry and hate.
As a minority you should know that stereotypes are often not accurate and unfair and for you to classify an entire community as not welcoming of minorities and women is hypocritical.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,121,371 times
Those Damn New Yorkers .......

Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM

37 posts, read 42,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Those Damn New Yorkers .......

Yeah though, seriously!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,601,028 times
I have to say it is true. My daughter use to run alone in Stroudsburg..........but then there came a time when she could not.
When that became evident she ran with some big burly friends by her side........
It was sad that it came to that.........But, I was always happy when I knew she had someone by her side. Times changed in Stroudsburg.......it happened........in the blink of an eye.
Why? Well, the answer is right before you. You could see it happen with your own eyes.......then know where the blame comes from. Seeing is believing ..........But don't try it........without the burly friend!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
I am thinking of moving to Stroudsburg, now, the last I heard on the news, I saw a Man being put in jail for sexually molesting a little girl(his daughter which was a baby) and killing her. Not too long ago. Now, I have 3 kids, do you often listen to this kinds of news on that area? So that you know, race does not have to do with anything, me and my family are completely multicultural, we are hispanics, and we have black, white, europeans mixed in our family. Let me tell you all, DANGER IS EVERYWHERE, where ever you go, you will find something. Can somebody just tell me how dangerous it is for my children and me?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

11,254 posts, read 18,770,593 times
cityeda,

During the early days of the big run up in housing costs in the NY City area, the Friday Real Estate section of the NY Daily News (which on average is read by a more "working class" population than the NY Times) would be chock full of ads telling people how cheap the real estate is in Stroudsburg and Monroe County in general and how they could still commute to jobs in NJ and NYC (the latter I think is very extreme, though technically possible) and afford a large home in the safe, open country.

Many people bit and did this, and in the 1990s and 2000s, the population grew on a scale more common at the time in places like FL and CA (1990 county pop 95000, 2000 county pop 130000). Many (certainly not all, but many) of these transplants were minorities in what was at one time a fairly rural "lily white" population. Many of the Pocono builders (again, not all, no flames here please) were at the forefront of the current national mortgage crisis, taking advantage of hard-working middle-class people desperate for a big home that they really couldn't afford. And as such the county had a foreclosure crisis long before the rest of the nation did, back in 2004:

http://www.banking.state.pa.us/banking/lib/banking/about_dob/special%20initiatives/mortgage%20forecloser/monroe%20county%20foreclosure%20study%20pressrelea se.pdf (broken link).

Foreclosure rate is outpacing building | PoconoRecord.com

So this may be the locals projecting frustration with the foreclosure/transplant situation, etc. (and certainly does not justify it, in fact, my initial thought to this thread was surprise knowing Stroudsburg's diversity and influx of people from the NY area). I am sorry to hear that this happened to you and there's no justification for it, just my take on why they may have felt that way.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,121,371 times
Running through may save you from being mugged .. Did you see the tank the cops got .. Now WHY WOULD THEY NEED THAT IF THE TOWN WAS SO GOOD?????????
Monroe County is slowly going to crap. There are a few good places left .. but very few and far between..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
I wonder what Businezguy, the same individual who told me Stroudsburg was all peaches and sunshine in another thread when I recanted all of my negative experiences with that town, would like to say to these several other individuals who have also had very negative experiences with the town?

Don't get me wrong. Stroudsburg does have SOME strong points. Main Street is very attractive and lined with restored brick buildings that house cute mom-and-pop stores and cafes. The proximity to NYC given the relatively inexpensive cost-of-living is most certainly an asset. However, the RUDENESS of so many in that town has permanently turned me off. I don't know if it's natives lashing out against transplants or transplants trying to "improve the hicks" (most likely a combination of both), but I felt more at unease for my personal safety in Stroudsburg after dark than I did in Scranton, a much larger city!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Running through may save you from being mugged .. Did you see the tank the cops got .. Now WHY WOULD THEY NEED THAT IF THE TOWN WAS SO GOOD?????????
Monroe County is slowly going to crap. There are a few good places left .. but very few and far between..
The "West End" (Snydersville, Saylorsburg, Sciota, Brodheadsville, Effort, etc.) is still a good area, as is Blakeslee, Canidensis, Cresco, and select parts of Tobyhanna and the Smithfields. The Stroudsburgs are really the only part of Monroe County that are quickly eroding into an armpit, and yet nobody there seems to give a damn as gangs and thugs move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania