Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 PM

30 posts, read 79,390 times

Advertisements

thank you for posting that, now it makes total sense on why i had never seen them before last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,467 times
does anyone else have those annoying beetles in their house??? what the hell are they??? they just hang around...on the windows or walls...and is there anyway to get rid of them???my son said they were japanese beatles. they don not look like them.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 AM

325 posts, read 806,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishroze View Post
does anyone else have those annoying beetles in their house??? what the hell are they??? they just hang around...on the windows or walls...and is there anyway to get rid of them???my son said they were japanese beatles. they don not look like them.
What do they look like?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
No........not one of those. I use to go out in the canoe on the pond of Lk Arrowhead and tons of them would fly around. I got very use to them......
This had huge bulgeing eyes......was quite wide about maybe half and inch or more......about 2 inches long or so.
What freaked me was that it took that Uturn just to come back and stare me face to face...... ( no dragonfly ever did that)
Definetely a cicada no doubt...love those eyes...lol...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishroze View Post
They sound like "June Bugs"... coloquial term I think....real name is Stag beetles a.k.a. "pinching bugs"....and boy can they pinch!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 AM

I forgot cicadas are locusts, they reproduce in 17 year cycles, some in 13 year cycles....and i believe sub-species have variances in the time it takes until maturity.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I forgot cicadas are locusts, they reproduce in 17 year cycles, some in 13 year cycles....and i believe sub-species have variances in the time it takes until maturity.
got to stop you right there
cicadas are not related to locusts.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJonathan View Post
got to stop you right there
cicadas are not related to locusts.
Sorry, but the names are used interchangeably. I am aware you are probably referring to Africa's locusts....essentially grasshoppers that under certain conditions "mutate" ; because of increased population density brought on by ideal environmental conditions. See wikipedia...and other sources....

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 05-15-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,462 times
oh ok , you want to use the word in a generally accepted incorrect way then yeah but proper use is what i was referring to. I am aware of what i was thinking a bit more than you and i am aware that you are capable of being wrong on two accounts now. I was thinking of locusts in general not african in specific. Locusts are grasshoppers which yes have in a sense mutated (not cicadas) and they have been found in many places including north america. so yeah i stand by my original statement

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJonathan View Post
oh ok , you want to use the word in a generally accepted incorrect way then yeah but proper use is what i was referring to. I am aware of what i was thinking a bit more than you and i am aware that you are capable of being wrong on two accounts now. I was thinking of locusts in general not african in specific. Locusts are grasshoppers which yes have in a sense mutated (not cicadas) and they have been found in many places including north america. so yeah i stand by my original statement
Get a life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania