U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM

26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The fact that a business does not want to come to Scranton has nothing to do with the residents, the people here would love to have good wage sustaining jobs. It again falls back on the Doherty administration, the high wage and mercantile tax, that we have mentioned a thousand times. It doesn't make fiscal sense for a business to set up shop here and Doherty could have remedied this in his 7 plus years but was short-sighted.
It is actually much more complicated than this. Not only are Scranton's wage and mercantile taxes too exorbitant, but also the residents themselves need to become better skilled and educated to qualify for some of these positions. GlaxoSmithKline, for example, isn't going to put a major installation in the Southern Union building, bringing 100 high-paying jobs to the city, if there's not enough intellectual capital here to meet its needs; they're not going to hire forklift operators or cashiers to work as pharmaceutical sales representatives or chemical researchers. They're also not going to pay to import most of their skilled labor from other areas via transferring employees and offering relocation packages. Meanwhile college graduates like myself aren't going to stick around and work for $9/hr. at Sallie Mae, Wal-Mart, or one of those distribution centers going up in CenterPoint when we have college loan debt to pay off on top of regular living expenditures. We relocate, leaving a void in our wake (i.e. the "Brain Drain" that DiBileo and Bolus each had no clue about despite being told by those on DohertyDeceit that they did an excellent job, but I digress). You can't attract high-paying jobs here without the skilled talent to fill those positions, and we can't retain that intellectual capital without the enticing career opportunities being available. It's a Catch-22 that this city's been in for years and will be in for years to come. You can't blame Doherty for that. Yes, he's had ample opportunity to make progress on that front, but so did Connors, who also did nothing and McNulty, who also did nothing. Considering neither DiBileo nor Bolus even knew we had a problem in retaining our youth in the city to begin with neither one of them likely would have had much success either over the next four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 PM

948 posts, read 790,976 times
Quote:
The fact that a business does not want to come to Scranton has nothing to do with the residents, the people here would love to have good wage sustaining jobs. It again falls back on the Doherty administration, the high wage and mercantile tax, that we have mentioned a thousand times. It doesn't make fiscal sense for a business to set up shop here and Doherty could have remedied this in his 7 plus years but was short-sighted.
Well all I know is that there are people who have done business here before and don't want to set foot here again and it has everything to do with the negativity of the people. It can be a factor is all I am saying.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Are you admitting you're a career-woman, carpetbagging, champagne drinking lesbian? Me too!
Well, good or bad, I am a straight, champagne drinking career woman with carpetbagger tendencies with many gay/lesbian friends. In Seattle, men mostly date via online dating services but have no problem with a woman who makes a good living. In other large cities I've lived in men take the more direct approach and don't have an issue with career women but here while I have lots of dates, many of the men are intimidated or jealous of the career aspect. They also are unconfortable with me having a diverse group of friends (e.g. gay, straight, various ethnicities, religions).

Tried to give you some props for your response but I guess it was too soon. :-)

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Me three! Let's have a big lesbian dance party in Green Ridge!
. Tried to give you props as well but I guess I need to spread more around or so the site is telling me.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,573,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
No potential new business wants to come in to an area with such a negative view on everything-it doesn't matter what the actual work ethic is in the area.
Wage tax, mercantile tax, sign tax...etc. No potential business wants to open in Scranton because of the negativity of the area? Kidding me right?

Thats like Fanucci saying that the first thing a company looks at before it relocates are the parks...If we have great parks they won't notice the oppressive business taxes, right?

But they don't seem to have any problem opening in the adjacent communities do they?

shoegal how long were you out of the area before you decided that moving from Seattle to Scranton was a good idea?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Wage tax, mercantile tax, sign tax...etc. No potential business wants to open in Scranton because of the negativity of the area? Kidding me right?

Thats like Fanucci saying that the first thing a company looks at before it relocates are the parks...If we have great parks they won't notice the oppressive business taxes, right?

But they don't seem to have any problem opening in the adjacent communities do they?

shoegal how long were you out of the area before you decided that moving from Seattle to Scranton was a good idea?
I lived here for decades and have floated in and out of the area for the past 10 years. I have been part of the brain drain that some aren't aware exists. As I said before in previous posts that apparently aren't either being read in their entirety that I had to move because of a company reorg and chose Scranton because of family and proximity to NYC. People who have left and come back do so to take care of family (some come back to raise a family) and once the family is gone they leave again taking thier talent with them.

And again, I said it was a factor-not the only factor, so if you are going to quote me please quote the entire content not just a portion you can spin for the sake of an argument.

Last edited by shoegal111; 05-12-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,573,435 times
Well isn't that special.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,211,752 times
I thought that brain drain was when your brain is physically draining from your head because of stress related to paying your bills and figuring out how to make ends meet in this city because of the mayor's stupid decisions and useless spending.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM

26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
I thought that brain drain was when your brain is physically draining from your head because of stress related to paying your bills and figuring out how to make ends meet in this city because of the mayor's stupid decisions and useless spending.
That was the way Bob Bolus explained it and the way Gary DiBileo assumed was the proper definition as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,211,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That was the way Bob Bolus explained it and the way Gary DiBileo assumed was the proper definition as well.
I figured it could mean both that and the exodus of educated people from the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania