Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I figured it could mean both that and the exodus of educated people from the area.
LMAO! So Brookings had Doherty's tirades in mind when they were talking about the "Brain Drain?!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM

67 posts, read 144,390 times
Attached are some pics of the first day of setting which occured today. One whole tower, 4 floors high, 1 apt per floor, all in place and 85% complete. More towers to be set next week and week after.
Attached Thumbnails
New Upscale Housing Coming to Downtown Scranton-sony-cybershot-pics-019.jpg   New Upscale Housing Coming to Downtown Scranton-sony-cybershot-pics-022.jpg  

Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 PM

159 posts, read 316,595 times
Default Wow!

That is TOTALLY not what I imagined! I believe it will look good when completed though.

Keep us updated with more pictures if you can.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,627,491 times
Looks like it's going up quick

Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,755,849 times
I thought this "St Peter's Square" project was supposed to be some kind of top-of-the-line luxury condos....looks more like modular homes or mobile homes stacked on top of each other.

Is this the finished product?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:05 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,059,246 times
No thats not even close...They seem to actually be occupied......Nothing like building your lego set apartments in a dead town. Jerry Joyce couldn't pull off St Pete's so he opted for legoland..

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM

67 posts, read 144,390 times
Go Phillies, there is a MAJOR difference between modular and mobile so im going to ignore your ignorance and tell you that each apt is over 1600 sq ft equipped with maple cabs and granite countertops in the kitchens and bath vanities. Every bedroom also has its own bathroom too.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,059,246 times
Yeh and ? That pic shows the best of both worlds...Its not only mobile, but also modular. Ignorance? You need to seriously lighten up. Its either your first job or your dads company because there are no other reasons for you to be so defensive about it. I'll go with the latter.

Quote:
each apt is over 1600 sq ft equipped with maple cabs and granite countertops in the kitchens and bath vanities. Every bedroom also has its own bathroom too.
Thats great. So what.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,755,849 times
Granite countertops or not, those things are made of PARTICLE BOARD. I'd like to see what those buildings, and most new construction these days, will look like in 50 years. I doubt they stand the test of time like the older houses and buildings in this area.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,627,491 times
A throwaway building to match a throwaway society. I don't see anything less in terms of construction from what you would find
in a modern home, even an expensive McMansion, though.

This is a Joyce project, right? I'm pretty sure that Joyce has the property adjacent to the Cathedral as well. He did a little research
to see what people wanted in that space (Cathedral), and the answer was a brownstone. He then asked what they thought they
could afford to pay, and the answer was about 1/5th of what it would take to make the venture anywhere near profitable.

The sad truth is that quality really costs you these days, and most businessmen need to keep costs down if they want to continue
to be businessmen.

I will say this, I took a walk by the site this morning, and the roof line has a distinctive, classic look to it. The possibility that the design
of this new structure might meld well with the rest of the downtown is something that I find very favorable, and I wish Mr. Joyce luck if
he will be building a similar structure on the Cathedral site.

The rate of construction is a favorable indicator too, as this building is going up in record time. Hopefully once Joyce is finished with this
project, he will not waste much time in continuing onto the Cathedral property.

Now, if they were just smart enough to build one geared towards middle class families....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania