Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBFAN View Post
These apartments on perfect for graduate students or medical school students. I look forward to seeing them filled as summer turns into fall.
Yeh and I look forward to our city being debt free.....Good luck with that. There is nothing upscale about Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
I apologize if I don't feel like editing 20 pages of posts that were written prior to me moderating this forum. Honest to goodness, if you have an actual comment (besides "this is a stupid idea" or youtube link or just emoticons) that pertains to the OP, then go for it. I think some of you like it when I delete a post so that three more can comment on how evil and mean it is. Jeez! No infractions were issued. Let's please try to move on...

We've already established that some of you hate Scranton and think that there is no reason to have anything good happen to it, but I think you might use a few more words to explain why upscale housing won't work.V

From the TOS - "If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY." and "Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators, Yac or markablue." Here's the link http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Yeh and I look forward to our city being debt free.....Good luck with that. There is nothing upscale about Scranton.
I don't think upscale housing will work here in Scranton because the market isn't there for it. We don't have enough people making decent wages in this area to support it. They will sit, mostly empty, until the city finds another use for them. We've seen in the past how upscale businesses have tried to work here and they were gone in 6-8 months. This isn't Greenwich Village or Chelsea, it's Scranton and like Dan said, there is nothing upscale about Scranton.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM

232 posts, read 347,311 times
So can we extend your line of thought that the only succesfull housing developments in Scranton should be Section 8?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBFAN View Post
So can we extend your line of thought that the only succesfull housing developments in Scranton should be Section 8?
Not should be, but ARE...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,087 times
They say history repeats itself.... The Hotel Jermyn when done over was supposed to be "upscale" downtown housing. It didnt happen, I believe it is now subsidized...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
They say history repeats itself.... The Hotel Jermyn when done over was supposed to be "upscale" downtown housing. It didnt happen, I believe it is now subsidized...
Its basically a low income old folks home now.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Its basically a low income old folks home now.
What the Hotel Jermyn or the city?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,087 times
Now THATS funny!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,351 times
I saw an ad...I think it was for 317 Linden...rents 2-6K hello...this is not Manhattan...actually those prices in Manhattan would be a steal! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania