U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM

948 posts, read 855,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I didn't call you a crony or a sheep. I said people that blindly follow the mayor on everything he does even though they know it's wrong or not true, is a sheep. You said you don't live here, so you really don't care what Doherty does. You just work for a company that is doing this project and that's fine, I have nothing against you. But I'm afraid it's going to be really hard to fill those units considering the location and the state of the economy. You could get so much more elsewhere spending that kind of money.

You'd be suprised at the number of people in the area that can afford to pay that for a apartment and would. Demand for housing units in the downtown has outstripped the supply for years. The more people who can live downtown will add to the downtown economy. Look at towns large and small who have a vibrant downtown ( NYC, Morgantown West Virginia, and Seattle just to name a few). And by the way, I march to my own drummer not a politicians. Dougherty has done alot to improve the city compared to his predicessor. What people fail to understand is that you cannot have everything all at once and you can't blame one person for the problems.

Every city complains about roads needing to be repaved, bridges needing repair, etc. What kills me are those who complain about sidewalks needing replacement on the cities dime when city ordinance clearly states that the property owner is responsible for the maintainance including replacement of the sidewalks in front of their property. I also believe that blacktop is not considered legal for that purpose. So I have an idea, the city can raise additional funds by citing home owners for not obeying the ordinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I wasn't specifically calling you a crony or a sheep. I was referencing the crony mentality when it comes to Doherty and projects like this. This project could very well get built, that wouldn't surprise me, but trying to fill those units in downtown Scranton is a tough sell. Like you said, you have no intention in moving to Scranton. Who is going to spend that kind of money to live in an apartment in a ghost town of a downtown? That's all we're saying here. It's good that people will be working on this project, but when it's done then what? I have a feeling this apartments will sit empty. I don't know who you were calling jackass, but that was not called for.
And by the way, I happen to be related to a former Mayor through marriage and while I personally like the person I was not a fan of him as Mayor.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,394,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
You'd be suprised at the number of people in the area that can afford to pay that for a apartment and would. Demand for housing units in the downtown has outstripped the supply for years. The more people who can live downtown will add to the downtown economy. Look at towns large and small who have a vibrant downtown ( NYC, Morgantown West Virginia, and Seattle just to name a few). And by the way, I march to my own drummer not a politicians. Dougherty has done alot to improve the city compared to his predicessor. What people fail to understand is that you cannot have everything all at once and you can't blame one person for the problems.

Every city complains about roads needing to be repaved, bridges needing repair, etc. What kills me are those who complain about sidewalks needing replacement on the cities dime when city ordinance clearly states that the property owner is responsible for the maintainance including replacement of the sidewalks in front of their property. I also believe that blacktop is not considered legal for that purpose. So I have an idea, the city can raise additional funds by citing home owners for not obeying the ordinance.
I guess I would be surprised because I don't know who they are or where they are coming from and why they would want to move there. I guess you know these people.

I still say Doherty has not improved this city that drastically since he's been in office. I just don't see it. I mean, how long do we have to wait to see improvements, the guy has had almost 8 years now. All I'm saying is that this city should look a whole lot better given the fact he's spending and spending and has put this city in huge debt that will take years and years to pay down.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,861,443 times
Quote:
Demand for housing units in the downtown has outstripped the supply for years.
That is something that I highly doubt.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,168 times
Sweet. maybe when I move back from DC in my 30s I can have a nice place to live downtown Scranton -- My dream.

Go Scranton!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18505-Scranton View Post
Sweet. maybe when I move back from DC in my 30s I can have a nice place to live downtown Scranton -- My dream.

Go Scranton!
You're kidding right. It's your dream to live in downtown Scranton? I would pick another dream if I were you.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You're kidding right. It's your dream to live in downtown Scranton? I would pick another dream if I were you.
There are far worse places to live than Scranton.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I guess I would be surprised because I don't know who they are or where they are coming from and why they would want to move there. I guess you know these people.

I still say Doherty has not improved this city that drastically since he's been in office. I just don't see it. I mean, how long do we have to wait to see improvements, the guy has had almost 8 years now. All I'm saying is that this city should look a whole lot better given the fact he's spending and spending and has put this city in huge debt that will take years and years to pay down.
Have you forgotten what a dump Nay Aug, Connell Park and Weston Field used to be? Have you forgotten how dirty the downtown was? Buildings empty and falling apart?

Now the parks have been cleaned up. The downtown has been cleaned up. Buildings have either gotten a face lift or have been torn down and not just in the downtown. The new medical school which the mayor was one of a team of champions to get the funding in place. A few of the new businesses in the downtown actually moved into the city from neighboring communities (e.g. Nada). The small business owners in the downtown that I have spoken with when I first came back to town love him-and I spoke with quite a few. If they need something they ask and he will actually research for various state and federal grant monies for them.

The city was listed as one of the Best Places to Raise a Family and according to the census estimates the population actually grew last year.

A new police headquarters which was badly needed. The fire department could certainly use one. In other cities I have seen some great fire and police facilities that include gyms to keep everyone in shape and even a pool to practice for water rescues. BTW, a well respected fireman who was a family friend said off the record back in 1990 that the fire department could stand a few cutbacks.

It takes 10 to 20 years to begin to turn a city around. It doesn't happen overnite. There is also a lot that citizens can do to make things better... e.g. keep their properties neat and orderly. There is no reason that a neighborhood can't mow the grass on empty lots to keep it from becoming a dumping site and a haven for rodents. Heck, I know of cities where neighborhoods are patching their own potholes and graffitti removal because the budgets can only go so far.

It's much easier to sit back, complain and go on the attack than it is to pitch in and be part of a team that makes a difference. No one wants to work with people who behave in such a manor not even a mayor, any mayor.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Have you forgotten what a dump Nay Aug, Connell Park and Weston Field used to be? Have you forgotten how dirty the downtown was? Buildings empty and falling apart?

Now the parks have been cleaned up. The downtown has been cleaned up. Buildings have either gotten a face lift or have been torn down and not just in the downtown. The new medical school which the mayor was one of a team of champions to get the funding in place. A few of the new businesses in the downtown actually moved into the city from neighboring communities (e.g. Nada). The small business owners in the downtown that I have spoken with when I first came back to town love him-and I spoke with quite a few. If they need something they ask and he will actually research for various state and federal grant monies for them.

The city was listed as one of the Best Places to Raise a Family and according to the census estimates the population actually grew last year.

A new police headquarters which was badly needed. The fire department could certainly use one. In other cities I have seen some great fire and police facilities that include gyms to keep everyone in shape and even a pool to practice for water rescues. BTW, a well respected fireman who was a family friend said off the record back in 1990 that the fire department could stand a few cutbacks.

It takes 10 to 20 years to begin to turn a city around. It doesn't happen overnite. There is also a lot that citizens can do to make things better... e.g. keep their properties neat and orderly. There is no reason that a neighborhood can't mow the grass on empty lots to keep it from becoming a dumping site and a haven for rodents. Heck, I know of cities where neighborhoods are patching their own potholes and graffitti removal because the budgets can only go so far.

It's much easier to sit back, complain and go on the attack than it is to pitch in and be part of a team that makes a difference. No one wants to work with people who behave in such a manor not even a mayor, any mayor.
There are still a lot of empty buildings downtown and the roads are horrible, that's why I rarely venture downtown. There is nothing there that I need that I can't go elsewhere for. When I have to start patching the potholes that the city is supposed to do, that's why we pay taxes, then I know it's time to move. I'm not in the paving and patching business. I agree residents have an obligation to keep their property neat and tidy, so they don't make an eye sore for their neighborhood. But there are services that residents cannot do and that's why the city employs people to do those jobs that come from taxpayer money. I don't have the means or tools to properly patch a pothole in a road, it's just not feasible.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,709,961 times
Quote:
Nay Aug still is a dump....after Doherty gets the photo op next to a new project, he lets it rot. Go check out the playground that Doherty put in down the hill from the zoo.....broken equipment, a sandbox with no sand but full of garbage. Take a walk towards the gorge on the expensive Davis Trail...the trail is so eroded you can hardly walk on it, its full of huge ruts. Check out the playground near the front of the park, its falling apart and covered with graffiti. Weston Park is still a dump. My son played soccer there...full of garbage and graffiti.

For all the money that Doherty dumped into Nay Aug, it should look like Disney World. Instead, it looks more like "Krabby Land" from an episode of Spongebob where cheapskate Mr. Krabs put in a junky old playground:

Quote:
Scranton was also rated as one of the "Fastest Dying Cities" just this past year by Forbes magazine: http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/04/eco...hisSpeed=15000 If the population actually grew, that's strange, because I'm seeing more For Sale signs on houses than ever. There's 3 for sale on my small block alone. And if the population has been growing, its the low-rent druggies from NY/NJ/Philly...there does seem to be a major increase in those types in Scranton. But Doherty doesn't have to worry about those types of people, they're not living next to his ivory tower in Green Ridge.

Quote:
A new police HQ was needed, but this one is still too small to fit all of the PD's departments, and of course was built with crony labor....I'm sure there were kickbacks....(kickbacks are why slimy politicians like Doherty love construction projects). Trust me, the FD does not need cutbacks...West Side, with a population of near 25,000 by itself, has one fire station manned by only 2 firefighters at a time. That is ridiculous.

Seriously, go to Radio Shack and buy yourself a police scanner, you'll get the real story of what's happening to Scranton. Rampant, nonstop crime, and a police department that is severely stretched thin.

I have to ask, do you live in the city of Scranton or have you ever lived in Scranton? It seems the mayor's biggest cheerleaders are usually from outside the city.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 05-05-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania