Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times

Advertisements

It might be interesting to find out why people love this area besides the mountains and the scenery. Back in the early 1970's, we lived in the area and found that these were the reasons we had a summer home in Milford and loved it so much.

#1 reason...when you do business, you can look one another in the eye and see that the transaction will be good. (looking your fellow man in the eye seems to be a lost custom anywhere else in the country.)
#2 When you wander around the marvels of nature, you'll always be greeted with a wave.

Was curious as to what other people think and if they feel that these 2 reasons made them feel sold on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
"Reason Why People Move to NEPA"....

FOR THE PIEROGI!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Aside from the beauty of the area I love how people treat others.

Eight years ago I was visiting family in Hemlock farms. We went to the Supermarket to buy something and I was third on line in a 5 item or less aisle. I was getting so annoyed because she was taking so long. She was talking to each person. I was ready to blow (this is how you are when you live in NYC, by nature). When I reached the cashier I was greeted so warmly, "Hi how are you today, how may I help you"? All the anger drained and I knew at that moment I wanted to live in Pennsylvania.

That is a story that I tell over and over again when people ask me what made me want to move here. I guess this is true of many areas but where I am from it is a rarity to find people that will give that little extra to make you feel special!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Aside from the beauty of the area I love how people treat others.

Eight years ago I was visiting family in Hemlock farms. We went to the Supermarket to buy something and I was third on line in a 5 item or less aisle. I was getting so annoyed because she was taking so long. She was talking to each person. I was ready to blow (this is how you are when you live in NYC, by nature). When I reached the cashier I was greeted so warmly, "Hi how are you today, how may I help you"? All the anger drained and I knew at that moment I wanted to live in Pennsylvania.

That is a story that I tell over and over again when people ask me what made me want to move here. I guess this is true of many areas but where I am from it is a rarity to find people that will give that little extra to make you feel special!
Yes, that is a wonderful story. I think the "pace" is slower and people take the time to get to know you. Yes, that "little extra" goes the mile!!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the lovely weather.... not only can i probley count on my hands the number of real sunny days we have seen this year but i think i shoveled about 4 ft of partly cloudy from my driveway last winter

Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Oh please the main reason that most people move west to NEPA is because the cost of living and taxes in their respective areas is becoming increasingly harder to afford.

The exodus from states east will also increase our taxes and drive our cost of living up, thanks.

Thats usually the first and only reason and the rest are just perks.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Sure the cost of living matters but don't be so cynical! There are MANY MANY more reasons that most of us are moving or want to move. Affordability IS one - but not the only one.
Here are MY reasons:
1. Unlike a move to FLA - which I love to visit especially in the dead of winter NEPA has four glorious seasons!
2. unlike the Carolinas - which I also enjoy visiting - especially Myrtle Beach - it's not "Southern" and all that "Southern entails.
3. I like the culture and laid back friendly attitude of most of the people. I really have not personally met one person who was not welcoming, possessed of a sense of humor and helpful to a fault.
4. The area IS beautiful! Yes we on Long Island have the ocean and the sound but you have to be seriously well off to see these natural wonders from your own home. The gorgeous mountains are much more democratic in their display!
Oh and I have to agree with Jungle George - the pierogies and the accessibility of them! They are my families version of "soul food"!
(George tried to give you some rep for that but they wouldn't let me :-(
5. You are really not far from anywhere. You yearn for the Big City? NYC and Phillie are a 2 hour drive! You want real deep country and lakes? Close as can be! You want a weekend at the shore?Not a big trip!
6 At least for me - lots of beautiful older homes! A BIG draw for Antique lovers too!
7. The area is rich in history1 I have personally enjoyed visiting several local attractions with my family and learned so much about the region!
There are so many more reasons I could go on and on. But one thing really strikes me. The people are genuine, down to earth yet sophisticated as a group. Most are warm and do not have a knee jerk hatred of NY/NJ people that people in some areas do.
The presence of many institutions of higher learning is also a draw for me1 Scranton and Wilkes Barre are kind of like a mini-Boston in that respect!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
I moved here because my husband promised his Mom when he joined the Army he would be back, that was in 1977...30 years later he was as good as his word.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Oh please the main reason that most people move west to NEPA is because the cost of living and taxes in their respective areas is becoming increasingly harder to afford.

The exodus from states east will also increase our taxes and drive our cost of living up, thanks.

Thats usually the first and only reason and the rest are just perks.
That's exactly what I was going to say. The rest are nice sentiments, but I know those are the reasons my parents moved up here in 1986, the cost of living, taxes and traffic. The weather up here isn't all that great but there are some nice areas to do outdoor stuff.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Oh please stop making assumptions based on your own feelings. I for one didnt move here for the cost of living or for any of the other cynical things you think. This is about what each person loves about being here not about how and why you think they moved here.

We all have our own thoughts so stop trying to think you know how we feel. Grow up already!

I love my area and I didnt move here because it was cheaper, I gave up a $70,000 a year job to move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania