Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times

Advertisements

On consolidation, I think the townspeople would be harder to convince than the politicians. More quaint to say you live in Old Forge, which sounds like it could be some idyllic little town, than a rust-belt city like Scranton. And, they don't want to pay the higher taxes that the bigger cities have, and they'd rather keep their town name.

They have a good racket of paying lower taxes and not being responsible for the social issues that cities have to deal with. They certainly don't want to give that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
On consolidation, I think the townspeople would be harder to convince than the politicians. More quaint to say you live in Old Forge, which sounds like it could be some idyllic little town, than a rust-belt city like Scranton. And, they don't want to pay the higher taxes that the bigger cities have, and they'd rather keep their town name.

They have a good racket of paying lower taxes and not being responsible for the social issues that cities have to deal with. They certainly don't want to give that up.
I agree with you.....but if people keep hammering on the consolidation idea it may gain a foothold. The area could be the third largest city in the state....possibly second if the entire urban area were to consolidate. Think of the instant map recognition...and increased funding...I know you don't need convincing...lol...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I wish people would realize that if they consolidated the area; at least somewhat....say Scranton, the Wyoming Valley....maybe Hazleton.....into bigger cities, than their classification by state city size would increase their state funding, and federal funding too....grab the pie...Louisville Kentucky did. Also model the new cities after Portland Oregon...before it is too late. ScranBarre, ever study Portland's zoning laws or long range development plans....just what our area needs to stop the sprawl and rejuevanate the core cities.
That's exactly what Seattle did as well with zoning laws years ago-build up not out. If you saw pictures taken from the space needle of the downwtown in the early '80s and compared to photos from just a few years ago or today for that matter, the difference is day and night. I think Pittsbirgh did the same as well.

Last edited by shoegal111; 05-11-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
That's exactly what Seattle did as well with zoning laws years ago-build up not out. If you saw pictures taken from the space needle of the downwtown and the early '80s and compared to a photo from just a few years ago or today for that matter, the difference is day and night.
Wish we could convince the people of Scranton Wilkes-Barre to follow what works....Seattle or Portland.Also we would be second largest city since Pittsburgh has fallen to less than half its peak population.I believe our urban area encompasses at least 450,000 people versus Pittsburghs (city proper) population of (educated guess) of 350,000 or less, What a kick in the states butt that would be...sure put a big kink in funding...and sending it our way...lol...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
That's exactly what Seattle did as well with zoning laws years ago-build up not out. If you saw pictures taken from the space needle of the downwtown in the early '80s and compared to photos from just a few years ago or today for that matter, the difference is day and night. I think Pittsbirgh did the same as well.
The problem though is that people here don't want Seattle, Portland, Boulder, Lexington, Charlottesville, Boston, Ithaca, etc. They want the Scranton of yesteryear---a city forged upon blue-collar operations and manufacturing that are dying and will NEVER make a comeback as long as everyone keeps buying foreign-made crap at Wal-Mart. The problem with their logic though is that in its current state (a struggling downtown surrounded by neighborhoods where people would much rather shop/dine/play in the suburbs) Scranton is doomed ultimately for failure. I think it's ironic that people in Scranton's neighborhoods envy we in the suburbs and vice-versa. They can have our sidewalk-less streets, chain stores, chain restaurants, gas stations, traffic congestion, vinyl-clad architecture, and lack of a down-to-earth close-knit community-like atmosphere if they so desire to pay the premium on property taxes for that "benefit," and then they'll whine that they miss being able to sit on their front porch and chat with neighbors, walk to the post office or the corner drug store, teach their children how to ride a bike without fear of getting run down by an over-extended soccer mom as she text messages, wave to neighbors as you drive by who just turn their heads away, etc. The grass is always greener, Scrantonians, until you get to the other side and realize that living in the sprawl so many of you envy SUCKS!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Wish we could convince the people of Scranton Wilkes-Barre to follow what works....Seattle or Portland.Also we would be second largest city since Pittsburgh has fallen to less than half its peak population.I believe our urban area encompasses at least 450,000 people versus Pittsburghs (city proper) population of (educated guess) of 350,000 or less, What a kick in the states butt that would be...sure put a big kink in funding...and sending it our way...lol...
What you're not looking at is the fact that there's more to a metro area than just the city population....sure Pittsburgh may have only 350,000 residents, but the Pittsburgh metro is around 2.4 million.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What you're not looking at is the fact that there's more to a metro area than just the city population....sure Pittsburgh may have only 350,000 residents, but the Pittsburgh metro is around 2.4 million.
I am aware of the s.m.s.a. population of Pittsburgh...and that "our #2 status" would not change our relative importance . It is a hypothetical wish.... but would greatly boost the image of the area.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The population of the city proper of Pittsburgh has fallen to 313,000 people....2006 estimate. I really know we are NEVER... going to rival Pittsburgh in any way shape or form....but don't tell me if Scranton were printed in larger letters than Pittsburgh it wouldn't be funny and a boost to the psyche of the "mega-valley"... lol...

Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
OMG, you and weluv are the only ones comparing Walt and Chris. AGGGHHHGHGH.
Shoegal was the one that first alluded to the notion that Scranton and Disney were alike. We were just saying how silly it is to compare the two. Apples and oranges.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The problem though is that people here don't want Seattle, Portland, Boulder, Lexington, Charlottesville, Boston, Ithaca, etc. They want the Scranton of yesteryear---a city forged upon blue-collar operations and manufacturing that are dying and will NEVER make a comeback as long as everyone keeps buying foreign-made crap at Wal-Mart. The problem with their logic though is that in its current state (a struggling downtown surrounded by neighborhoods where people would much rather shop/dine/play in the suburbs) Scranton is doomed ultimately for failure. I think it's ironic that people in Scranton's neighborhoods envy we in the suburbs and vice-versa. They can have our sidewalk-less streets, chain stores, chain restaurants, gas stations, traffic congestion, vinyl-clad architecture, and lack of a down-to-earth close-knit community-like atmosphere if they so desire to pay the premium on property taxes for that "benefit," and then they'll whine that they miss being able to sit on their front porch and chat with neighbors, walk to the post office or the corner drug store, teach their children how to ride a bike without fear of getting run down by an over-extended soccer mom as she text messages, wave to neighbors as you drive by who just turn their heads away, etc. The grass is always greener, Scrantonians, until you get to the other side and realize that living in the sprawl so many of you envy SUCKS!
Paul, living in Scranton, we have access to all the above you mentioned. I'm 4 miles away from Dickson City and I go to chain restaurants and stores. I don't walk to the post office or the drug store. I sometimes feel that I don't live in a city, since the stuff that I need is not right in the immediate area. I need to drive to Dickson City for stuff I can't get right here in Scranton. The ride isn't that bad and I don't mind it all. It can't be all that different in your neighborhood that here in West side. I'm just as close to amenities outside the city than inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania