U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,230 posts, read 67,385,459 times
Reputation: 15868

Advertisements

Don't even get me started on the level of homophobia evident here either if we're going to discuss racism. The more and more I learn about the "inner workings" of NEPA, the more and more I'm relieved with my decision to relocate to DC. This area has a LOT of "catching up" to do to the rest of the nation on social justice issues. As I type this Bishop Martino is slamming my school, King's College, for permitting Sen. Casey to speak at my graduation, even though Casey's spokesperson also just said that Casey has a "solid pro-life voting record." From people supporting the killing of illegal immigrants to people calling me a "f*g" to people supporting our power-trip bishop I can't get out of here soon enough now!

 
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
 
4,072 posts, read 9,075,133 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
And what European nation did your ancestors immigrate too America from GiantRutgersfan? Maybe if the Native Americans (a.k.a the only real Americans!) had kicked them to death when they got off of the boat, because they were immigrants when they arrived here in America, then we wouldn't have you here right now to share your endless wisdom with us.
your making way too many assumptions. why is it immediately some racist thing just because he is a mexican?

And you know what, fights are a part of being a teenager. these are boys, not little girls like you wanna turn them into
 
Old 05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,230 posts, read 67,385,459 times
Reputation: 15868
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
And you know what, fights are a part of being a teenager. these are boys, not little girls like you wanna turn them into
I guess I must have a vagina then because I was too intelligent to get into a fist-fight as a teenager.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
186 posts, read 393,197 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Don't even get me started on the level of homophobia evident here either if we're going to discuss racism. The more and more I learn about the "inner workings" of NEPA, the more and more I'm relieved with my decision to relocate to DC. This area has a LOT of "catching up" to do to the rest of the nation on social justice issues. As I type this Bishop Martino is slamming my school, King's College, for permitting Sen. Casey to speak at my graduation, even though Casey's spokesperson also just said that Casey has a "solid pro-life voting record." From people supporting the killing of illegal immigrants to people calling me a "f*g" to people supporting our power-trip bishop I can't get out of here soon enough now!
I am so sorry that you had to go through that! Ignorance is a horrible thing to be around, especially when they go so far as to not even hear the other side of the argument. Think of all the killings of gay and transgendered people that have happened because ignorant, sheltered people refuse to even consider the idea that homosexuality exists. Think of all the lynchings, beatings and abuse of black American citizens because people were too ignorant to see them as nothing more than property. It is disturbing and disgusting to read about these mob killings and intolerance of other human beings simply because they look or act different.

Even in 2009, in a somewhat "progressive" (as in we are a multi-racial community with plenty of white hicks where Southern Baptists preach weekly about the sins of being gay) community, there are things that happen here that would make your head spin. My husband knows this guy from childhood, whom we disassociated ourselves with, who actually calls him up to rant about the "f*****s" living in sin in the condo down the street from him and how it makes him so mad to see two men together. He is proud that he hassles them on the street and bragged about keying their cars. He forwards us obscene e-mails that preach racism, homophobia and hate. And, to think this man is going to be a father in a month..... I left a job after a month because I soon found out they only hired white people. When they got an application from a non-white sounding applicant (as in an ethnic name, etc.) they would have them come in for an interview just to make fun of them after they left. They said horrible, ugly racist comments about them and made them get their hopes up just to waste their time in order to have a good laugh. Meanwhile, my husband and I are going to adopt an orphan from Ethiopia so you can imagine how disgusted it made me to be around that. Us adopting has given way to many ignorant comments from others, even those whom we thought were our friends. No one seems to understand why we would want to bring an Ethiopian child into our home, although we did try to explain that there are 6 million children there needing homes... Apparently that isn't enough of an argument for our "Christian" friends.

Bottom line- it happens everywhere and it disappoints me so very much. You have all of these Baptists, Methodists, Mormons, etc. who preach the evils of being gay and yet they still have the nerve to call themselves Godly people. How on earth is practicing hatred in your life Christ-like? That is the very definition of a Christian and yet none of these narrow-minded Sarah Palin-loving bigots get it at all.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
186 posts, read 393,197 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
your making way too many assumptions. why is it immediately some racist thing just because he is a mexican?

And you know what, fights are a part of being a teenager. these are boys, not little girls like you wanna turn them into
Yes, I know plenty of teenagers who have beaten and stomped a man to death. Normal fights always involve head-kicking and mobbing a person. I would say your comment is illogical, but it is worse than that... There is no substance to it at all.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,385,239 times
Reputation: 30389
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
And you know what, fights are a part of being a teenager. these are boys, not little girls like you wanna turn them into
The title is "Schuylkill Bounty: The most racist, backwards county in America?" becuase the jury thought like you. Killing and manslaughter aren't part of being a teenage boy. A group of teenagers jumped a kid in my district, kicking him in the head and hospitalizing him. He lived and they got into more trouble than these football players in Schuylkill County. Assult by a mob beating isn't a light matter. Death by a mob shouldn't be bushed off so easily by you and the jury.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,230 posts, read 67,385,459 times
Reputation: 15868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Death by a mob shouldn't be bushed off so easily by you and the jury.
It shouldn't be, but it is, hence why most educated youths I know are now fleeing NEPA. There's just nothing here for us anymore besides seeing our region get one black eye in the national media after another! Does anything PROGRESSIVE ever come out of Lackawanna, Luzerne, or Schuylkill Counties anymore, or is it all bad news about judges selling kids into prison for kickbacks for stealing loose change from unlocked cars while high school football players are acquitted of kicking a man to death because he's an illegal immigrant?
 
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,474,908 times
Reputation: 6523
This sort of reminds me of an incident a few years back. A HS football team hazing jr players. They sodomized the JR players with pine cones.
The players involved were punished and banned from the team. But then you had the irate parents who felt the punishment was to harsh. You had the locals who felt it went too far. In short the football program was more important than the victims. NEPA at its best.
Yes the victim in this case was a scumbag child molester. Yes he was also an illegal immigrant which I have a real bone with.
The fact is all of these things did not qualify the youths to put the boots to him. The father of the girl? Perhaps. Were it my daughter I might have put the boots to him. I'll be honest about that.
Kill him? No way. We have a court of law to determine what justice is.
None of us sat on the jury nor heard all of the evidence. Its unfair of any of us to declare it an unfair trial.
Remember in our legal system to find some guilty the evidence must convince you beyond all reasonable doubt. I have sat on a few juries and unlike TV there is always some doubts.
 
Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: wilkes-barre
1,974 posts, read 4,642,557 times
Reputation: 998
I am not a bleeding heart liberal by any means. I am pro-death penalty (for the worst cases), anti-abortion, I'm for very strict drug dealing sentencing ect, and yes...I'm even against illegal immigration. Every mexican I've ever met in my hometown are hard working, family oriented people. My daughter is friends with a few mexican children in the neighborhood, and she sleeps over thier houses, and they sleep over my house ect., I do think we need to control our borders though. It is not wise to have thousands and thousands of unchecked people pouring into our county every year for a number of reasons. I also have some left leaning views, and do not consider myself Democrat or Republican, but this is murder plain and simple. It should not matter if the person is mexican, illegal, white, black. You all can try to justify this all you want, but they murdered that man...period! And they should pay for their crimes. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE!!!
 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,474,908 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I am not a bleeding heart liberal by any means. I am pro-death penalty (for the worst cases), anti-abortion, I'm for very strict drug dealing sentencing ect, and yes...I'm even against illegal immigration. Every mexican I've ever met in my hometown are hard working, family oriented people. My daughter is friends with a few mexican children in the neighborhood, and she sleeps over thier houses, and they sleep over my house ect., I do think we need to control our borders though. It is not wise to have thousands and thousands of unchecked people pouring into our county every year for a number of reasons. I also have some left leaning views, and do not consider myself Democrat or Republican, but this is murder plain and simple. It should not matter if the person is mexican, illegal, white, black. You all can try to justify this all you want, but they murdered that man...period! And they should pay for their crimes. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE!!!
Once again you didn't sit on the jury. It could very well be that the DA did a poor job of making the case. I have sat on a jury where that was in fact what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top