Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well if he had a 14 year old girlfriend, which I'm not sure is true, then that is illegal. Not that he should have been killed, but if a 25 year old was dating my 14 year old sister, I'd want to beat the crap out of him too. But, I believe a poster above said that the 14 year old was not his girlfriend, but his fiance's sister.

If you beat him so bad that you killed him, you should be in prison then.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Well if he had a 14 year old girlfriend, which I'm not sure is true, then that is illegal. Not that he should have been killed, but if a 25 year old was dating my 14 year old sister, I'd want to beat the crap out of him too. But, I believe a poster above said that the 14 year old was not his girlfriend, but his fiance's sister.
According to the newspaper accounts of the trial, the 14-year old was pregnant with his child, and said that he had asked her to marry him. She was also the half-sister to his "other" fiance, who he had three children with. Busy guy.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
So just because he had a 14 yr old girlfriend, that makes it ok to just murder him??????? You just don't go bashing someones head in because you don't like what they are doing. These people need to pay for what they did and they got off with nothing and that is sickening.
It's not like these boys just walked up to this guy because he was Mexican and started kicking him in the head with the intent to kill him. The victim initiated the fighting several times, even taking the steps of removing his shirt and jewelry and giving them to his girlfriend to hold for him. I do believe that this is a fight that went too far and while there should be appropriate charges and jail time, the prosecutors tried to make this into something that it wasn't and didn't have the evidence to back up the charges.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
According to the newspaper accounts of the trial, the 14-year old was pregnant with his child, and said that he had asked her to marry him. She was also the half-sister to his "other" fiance, who he had three children with. Busy guy.
I have to say that I would want to beat an adult who knocked up my teenage sister. This clown should have been in jail for statutory rape.

If this is true that he had sex with a 14 year old, I have no sympathy for him.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you beat him so bad that you killed him, you should be in prison then.
No...an adult who has sex with a 14 year old should be in prison.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It's not like these boys just walked up to this guy because he was Mexican and started kicking him in the head with the intent to kill him. The victim initiated the fighting several times, even taking the steps of removing his shirt and jewelry and giving them to his girlfriend to hold for him. I do believe that this is a fight that went too far and while there should be appropriate charges and jail time, the prosecutors tried to make this into something that it wasn't and didn't have the evidence to back up the charges.
But the liberals just need another chance to demonize the white man and make the "poor downtrodden minority" into a defenseless victim...

I'm sure there are 3 sides to this story and that the guy who was beat to death is not an innocent bystander in this....I'm sure he played his part. I'm not saying to let these guys off with no jail time, but the way this guy is being portrayed as some sort of innocent guy with no part in this is false, in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 05-06-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl12 View Post
I don't believe they intended to kill him either but they did. I also believe they should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter. I believe kicking and beating another man would fall under "an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner - especially when it is 3 to 1.

§ 2504. Involuntary manslaughter.

(a) General rule.-A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he causes the death of another person
I think it's a toss up between murder of the third degree, voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter. Read the code again.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Quote:
But the liberals just need another chance to demonize the white man and make the "poor downtrodden minority" into a defenseless victim...

I'm sure there are 3 sides to this story and that the guy who was beat to death is not an innocent bystander in this....I'm sure he played his part. I'm not saying to let the guy off with no jail time, but the way this guy is being portrayed as some sort of innocent guy with no part in this is false, in my opinion.
I think you're showing massive oversensitivity to this.

The fact is that a Hispanic man was killed by two white men in a fight, apparently from a fatal kick to the head, apparently while yelling racial epithets, and all a jury managed to convict them of was simple assault. Many of us here are upset because the race of the victim seems to determine the sentence here. Many of us feel that the race of the victim shouldn't play a role. I think that's a highly uncontroversial view, and one I don't think you should have a problem joining.

Yet, you're here telling us that we're "demonizing the white man" and saying the victim was "defenseless" because he's "poor downtrodden minority." I think you're letting whatever reactionary biases you may hold influence your perspective here. None of us are making the argument that the victim was defenseless; what we're arguing for the most part is the unfairness of the race of the victim determining the sentence. And a lot of that has to do with Schuylkill County, like it or not.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Again - it doesn't matter if he instigated the fight. The boys beat him til he died. No matter if he hit his head on the ground from a shove or got kicked in the head once too many times - they took his life.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No...an adult who has sex with a 14 year old should be in prison.

Both should be in prison. Someone who takes a life and someone who commits statutory rape.

Oh that's right! They KILLED him before he could serve jail time for his own crimes. Smart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania