Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I don't drink much anymore like I used to. When I do drink a beer, I like a full bodied one. Sam Adams, Molson XXX, Killian's Irish Red all have a good bite. If you want a good beer, try a German one. I recommend Weihenstephaner, a Bavarian style premium beer, it blows all of the domestic light crap and suds water away.
That's how I am....I'd rather one good beer over a case of crappy beer. I don't drink often either, but if I do have a beer, I'm not wasting my time on garbage like Coors Light, etc....give me a good dark beer, a wheat beer, or a microbrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
My husband drinks German beer NYRangers. I've tried it and it's not my thing. But I know a lot of people who really like it.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
That's how I am....I'd rather one good beer over a case of crappy beer. I don't drink often either, but if I do have a beer, I'm not wasting my time on garbage like Coors Light, etc....give me a good dark beer, a wheat beer, or a microbrew.
When we were in St Augustine last week, I tried a Sam Adams Blueberry Beer... I wasn't sure if it'd be great or disgusting....

I figured I'd live on the edge since I was on vacation & actually, it was pretty good!!

I bought a 6-pack of Stegmeier when we were up in NEPA over Xmas & left them at our friend's house in NY, so I STILL haven't tried it. My dad drank nothing else when we were in NEPA...

Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I recall when I was a child(during the Cretaceous...period)that W.B. was the headquarters of Planters Peanuts. I also remember that W.B. was like a little Milwaukee....lots of breweries.....regional importance. I can recall 5 hometown breweries, I may be wrong with one or two and I know the spelling is wrong. (1)Stegmaier(2)Genessee(3)Gibbons(4)Black Label(5)Ballantine. Anyone have any additional breweries I missed or other facts about W.B. I missed like Planters. We were the first in the nation to get cable...HBO. And where did W.B.'s sidewalk canopies go!!!!!
Just browsing here, and saw the posts on the beer. My father grew-up in Wilkes-Barre in the early 1900s, then moved to California. He lived in a two story building atop what was a furniture store (now the whole building is a small, old apartment building). It's down the block from the Gibbons Brewery. The brewery was owned by his school buddy, Izzy Smulowitz's family. The Smulowitz family came and visited us in California in the late 1950s. They brought us kids all kind of company-logo trinkets like posters, pencils, etc. I sure wish I still had those. I remember that William was the oldest of his boys. Ahhh the memories. I last visited Wilkes-Barre in 2000.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
I remember the peanut shop in Wilkes-Barre! I remember they had a big map on the wall of the USA done in colored peanut shells. I wish Wilkes-Barre had a brewpub- how cool if the Lion Brewery would open one at their brewery. When I travel I always look for brewpubs in the town I am in. I love to try local microbrews, love the atmosphere, and they always have good food, too!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Do they still brew Stegmier? I have seen the empty brewery many times and I just assumed that they went the way of many local breweries.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do they still brew Stegmier? I have seen the empty brewery many times and I just assumed that they went the way of many local breweries.
Beer « The Lion Brewery

Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoman View Post
Just browsing here, and saw the posts on the beer. My father grew-up in Wilkes-Barre in the early 1900s, then moved to California. He lived in a two story building atop what was a furniture store (now the whole building is a small, old apartment building). It's down the block from the Gibbons Brewery. The brewery was owned by his school buddy, Izzy Smulowitz's family. The Smulowitz family came and visited us in California in the late 1950s. They brought us kids all kind of company-logo trinkets like posters, pencils, etc. I sure wish I still had those. I remember that William was the oldest of his boys. Ahhh the memories. I last visited Wilkes-Barre in 2000.
I grew up not that far from the Gibbons Brewery. I knew a few members of the Smulowitz family, not the brewery owners, but cousins, in laws etc. I'll always remember the 'clink, clink' sound from the bottling plant.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Interesting link George! Thanks!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoman View Post
Thanx for posting..I just remember an awful lot of local brewers and the HUGE Stegmaier one. I remember Planter's Peanuts being centered in Wilkes-Barre too. And in Pittston; the Pittston Stove Company and Brink's...A PITTSTON company(I think coal mainly).....memories.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania