U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,234 posts, read 4,281,057 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree. It is REAL music. Good music? Like all art and beauty? THAT is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not going to keep going round and round with you on this Magritte. I can't stand rap music and all that it represents and I don't think it's good or real music. You have your opinion and I have mine. In time, this genre will die off all by itself. Would you like the last word?

 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 PM
 
14,426 posts, read 8,491,580 times
Reputation: 6742
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm not going to keep going round and round with you on this Magritte. I can't stand rap music and all that it represents and I don't think it's good or real music. You have your opinion and I have mine. In time, this genre will die off all by itself. Would you like the last word?
Ahhh the famous "last word" argument. No I do not want the last word. I love how conversations denigrate into personal attacks around here.

I don't care if you think it's real music or not because the fact is that rap music is real and here to say. It does make me truly sad that some people, like yourself, are so blind that you can't see the logical journey from African spoken word ---> slave work songs ---> rock n' roll ---> rap but I suspect that is more of an issue with being uneducated about the genre and black history in general rather than one of intelligence.
 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: southern california
49,282 posts, read 45,802,045 times
Reputation: 40368
consider this. a deaf person inside the car waiting to happen
any welfare office waiting room, average age below 30.
PA is cranked to the max and they cant hear their name called.
 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,234 posts, read 4,281,057 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ahhh the famous "last word" argument. No I do not want the last word. I love how conversations denigrate into personal attacks around here.

I don't care if you think it's real music or not because the fact is that rap music is real and here to say. It does make me truly sad that some people, like yourself, are so blind that you can't see the logical journey from African spoken word ---> slave work songs ---> rock n' roll ---> rap but I suspect that is more of an issue with being uneducated about the genre and black history in general rather than one of intelligence.
I didn't personally attack you, all I asked was if you wanted the last word. I know the history of music and I have tried to listen to rap and I just can't. My music is rock, plain and simple and rap sounds nothing like it. I have told you that I like Hendrix, Ray Charles and James Brown and today's rap music sounds nothing like that. I loved the band Living Colour and Lenny Kravitz, It's not about not knowing about black history, I don't LIKE that genre of music and never will.
 
Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
 
14,426 posts, read 8,491,580 times
Reputation: 6742
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I didn't personally attack you, all I asked was if you wanted the last word. I know the history of music and I have tried to listen to rap and I just can't. My music is rock, plain and simple and rap sounds nothing like it. I have told you that I like Hendrix, Ray Charles and James Brown and today's rap music sounds nothing like that. I loved the band Living Colour and Lenny Kravitz, It's not about not knowing about black history, I don't LIKE that genre of music and never will.

And that's COMPLETELY fine and understandable. I get attacked for not liking jazz! LOL But my dislike doesn't mean that jazz isn't a musical art form. Just like your dislike for rap doesn't mean that it isn't a musical art form.
 
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL (Logan Square)
572 posts, read 816,438 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm not going to keep going round and round with you on this Magritte. I can't stand rap music and all that it represents and I don't think it's good or real music. You have your opinion and I have mine. In time, this genre will die off all by itself. Would you like the last word?
and i respectfully understand your opinion. thats the beauty of a forum. to air out opinions. you might not like rap - i might not like rock or country

but neither of the genres are going to disappear anytime soon. and thats a fact.

i'll be in jersey and baltimore for the rest of the week, so i'd like to wish everyone.. rap fans and rock fans alike - a great weekend :-D
 
Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 3,281,827 times
Reputation: 1190
Personally, I hate rap music. Being a musician, to me melody is the most important aspect of music. IMO rap contains little to no melody. BUT it is still technically music.

LOL!! This whole thread has become a fest of individual musical taste as opposed to the point of the original post...it doesn't matter what genre of music is a person's favorite, or which type a person listens to in their car, it's the VOLUME.

Everyone has their own taste in music from rock to country to rap to jazz to Gregorian chant, etc. That said, why should others be subjected to ANY music at mega-volume (besides a concert...)? Not to mention the individual in the car who is doing the blasting accumulating layers of hearing loss!!
 
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,415,177 times
Reputation: 4264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ahhh the famous "last word" argument. No I do not want the last word. I love how conversations denigrate into personal attacks around here.

I don't care if you think it's real music or not because the fact is that rap music is real and here to say. It does make me truly sad that some people, like yourself, are so blind that you can't see the logical journey from African spoken word ---> slave work songs ---> rock n' roll ---> rap but I suspect that is more of an issue with being uneducated about the genre and black history in general rather than one of intelligence.
Going from rock n roll to rap sounds like a regression to me. To think that Dr. Dre or Snoop Doggy Dogg is a natural progression from great musicians like Chuck Berry is laughable at best. You must be smoking some of that stuff those rappers brag about.
 
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 3,281,827 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Going from rock n roll to rap sounds like a regression to me. To think that Dr. Dre or Snoop Doggy Dogg is a natural progression from great musicians like Chuck Berry is laughable at best. You must be smoking some of that stuff those rappers brag about.
Hey GP, didya know that Chuck Berry was a liberal???

(sorry...just HAD to say that....)

Remember our parents who grew up on Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Artie Shaw etc? What did they say about Chuck Berry, The Beatles, etc???....

"THAT'S not music!!!" "That stuff is crap!!!" "How can you listen to that noise??"

Sounds like that repeating history again....
 
Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,315 posts, read 13,531,987 times
Reputation: 11460
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It has? 40 years? I don't think so. Black people used to make good music, James Brown, Ray Charles, The Temptations, Jimi Hendrix. I don't understand how it went downhill so quickly. Why can't the blacks today emulate that music?
You forgot Marvin Gaye, Johnny Mathis....Smokey Robinson.....The Supremes, The Crystals and Rondells, amongst others.........All fantastic song writers and singers. Who had a melody, music... with words one could love and understand. At the least if that was blasted out a car window we might all sing along.. Are ya' ready JG....
BTW......I love Beyonce'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top