U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM

135 posts, read 239,800 times
Default festivals or events for the upcoming memorial day weekend?

It's been quite a while since I have made a posting on city-data. Job blocked this site.

I;m spending memorial day weekend in Jim Thorpe and invited my friends to spend it with us. Now, we are doing the usual grilling and eating but we do have kids to entertain.

Anyone know of upcoming fairs , festivals or other events where we can take the kids to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

14,429 posts, read 8,502,578 times
Perhaps there will be a Memorial Day parade in Jim Thorpe??

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,547,963 times
I looked around Acey.........I just couldn't find anything but the usual.
Maybe you could picnic with them at Beltzville lake. There are lots of tables there and firegrills.......
There is a nice place for kids to play.....That might be fun to packup a picnic.

They might like the little shops in the down town Jim Thorpe......I just went there and I want to go again.

Another thought is the Boulder Field.......in by Hickory Run State Park. It is quite a ways in....but interesting for kids......You can later picnic there by the beach or go see the waterfalls if you don't mind the climb down and up.......its gorgeous.

I didn't hear of any parades........but..........I usually find out after the fact anyhow....

Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM

135 posts, read 239,800 times
Thanks, Sum.

I like the idea of going to the Lake. I just didnt want to get stuck with 5 kids, 4 adults and no where to go.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 PM

30 posts, read 42,014 times
I handle a firemen's parade list on another site. Here's what I can tell you about that I know going on this weekend.
On Friday night, Jessup Hose Co.#2 has their parade at 6:30pm. They have a carnival that opens Wednesday night and runs through Memorial Day. On Saturday, they have the St.Ubaldo festival there including the "Race of the Saints".
Friday night at 7pm is a parade with the Friendship Fire Co. in Englewood, Butler Twp.,Schuylkill Co. They have a bazaar but I don't have the particulars. There is also a parade Friday night at 6pm in Shamokin in Nortumberland Co. This is part of a two day Anthracite Festival.
On Saturday at 1pm, the borough of Walnutport in Northampton Co. has their Centennial parade...I believe this is part of a three-day festival. Aristes in Columbia Co. is supposed to have a small parade in regard to a fire depatment event at noon also on Saturday. The Newport twp. Fire Department in Luzerne Co., near Nanticoke has a bazaar opening Friday with the parade Saturday at 530pm.
On Memorial Day, Dupont in Luzerne Co. has a Memorial Day parade at 10:30am. Finally, the Sweet Valley Fair in Luzerne County runs Thursday,Friday,Saturday and Monday with a large parade Monday at 1:30pm. The fair is closed on Sunday and is off of Rt.118 in Sweet Valley between Dallas and Ricketts Glen State Park.
I hope this helps you.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 AM

13,315 posts, read 13,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
Thanks, Sum.

I like the idea of going to the Lake. I just didnt want to get stuck with 5 kids, 4 adults and no where to go.
They really have a nice climbing, slide play area.......and the picnic tables are close to it.........That is if this rain forcast holds off........Kids love to run around at beaches, and families love to cook outside on the grills.
Actually there is some pavillions here and there if they are not rented. I have yet to see one rented anyhow..........so if it did rain.......you'd have cover.
There should be a picture on here if you do search of Beltzville, and the play area picture is on that.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM

372 posts, read 754,676 times
Quote:
It's been quite a while since I have made a posting on city-data. Job blocked this site.

I;m spending memorial day weekend in Jim Thorpe and invited my friends to spend it with us. Now, we are doing the usual grilling and eating but we do have kids to entertain.

Anyone know of upcoming fairs , festivals or other events where we can take the kids to?

There are several small Memorial Day remembrance ceremonies in the Jim Thorpe/Panther Valley area over the weekend. You can check The Times News to get a listing of those events and more.

On Monday, there's a great parade in Summit Hill (take 209 to get there). I believe it begins at 11am, but the party starts well before that, as all the residents decorate their homes beautifully, and people come from nearby towns to see the event. Since my husband and I grew up there, we've gone for a number of years now.

If I can help you more, just DM me! Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,182 times
One place you may want to consider is a visit to Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ. They are located at Camp Taylor Campground. There are two wolf watches per day (closed mondays) They do a great talk on the wolves, and they also have bobcats and foxes. You want to be sure to get there either 10am or 3:30pm. admission is $16.05 with tax for anyone age 12 or older, and $7.49 with tax for kids 2-11 years old. There are Timber, Tundra and Arctic wolves and you will definitely see them

Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Status: "It's cold up in those mountains yander! Yup!" (set 10 days ago)

2,600 posts, read 1,561,993 times
Please excuse the spelling but Jessup is having their annual St. Ubaldo Day Celebration, this weekend. I watched a program aabout this on PBS and it was very interesting.. Seeems Jessup is a sister city with a village in Italy...I think it is called Gibbio and many families in Jessup can trace their Italian roots to this village back in Italy. In Italy the festival is over 800 years old. On Saturday I beleive is the Saints race... St. Ubaldo Day Celebration

Last edited by bloominscranton; 05-22-2009 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: sorry for the repeat of an earlier poster!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM

5,218 posts, read 2,145,162 times
Quote:

There is the Stay at Home Summit Hill Festival on Amidon Rd. It's probably about 10 minutes from Jim Thorpe. They have fireworks at dusk on Sunday.. I did find out that it only opens at 5pm, as I went there earlier today and they weren't yet open. They had some rides for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania