Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 12,332 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We moved to Honesdale a little over two years ago. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter and a 1 Year old son. I have tried connecting with other parents for play groups/Dates anything really. We know NO ONE that we can get together with now and then to get our kids together. I know of no play groups, I've tried searching the internet for places to take your children, Like activities Cool play grounds, And nothing...

I guess what Im getting at is, Is there any one out here in the Honesdale area that knows of childrens activities, Play groups or would like to meet at the park? lol It's really taking its toll on our family being out in an area where we know no one and have no one else to interact with. My daughter goes to preschool, starts kindergarten in the fall. But preschool ends next week. I want to help her find some friends to play with this summer.

Last edited by CxDx2386; 05-22-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
When will your daughter be 5? I am only asking because once my oldest turned 5 and played sports, it was much easier to find play mates.

I am not at all familiar with the Honesdale area. I met one of my very good friends at a play group @ the local library. Have you tried that?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I don't live anywhere near Honesdale, but I just wanted to wish you and your family the best of luck! Northern and Central Wayne County isn't a transplant hot-spot (yet), so I'd imagine it can tend to be a little "cliquey" and hard to break the ice as a newcomer when so many have been friends since high school.

I hope you'll come to enjoy living in Honesdale as much as I enjoyed visiting in during my 22.5 years here in Luzerne County!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxDx2386 View Post
Hi there! We moved to Honesdale a little over two years ago. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter and a 1 Year old son. I have tried connecting with other parents for play groups/Dates anything really. We know NO ONE that we can get together with now and then to get our kids together. I know of no play groups, I've tried searching the internet for places to take your children, Like activities Cool play grounds, And nothing...

I guess what Im getting at is, Is there any one out here in the Honesdale area that knows of childrens activities, Play groups or would like to meet at the park? lol It's really taking its toll on our family being out in an area where we know no one and have no one else to interact with. My daughter goes to preschool, starts kindergarten in the fall. But preschool ends next week. I want to help her find some friends to play with this summer.

I am in Hawley if you want to connect. Send me a DM. 4 year old daughter. There is a Mothers and More that comes out of Milford, which is kind of far.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,992,634 times
We've lived here 10 years, have a 6 and 4 year old, and have yet to find people local. Just not easy around here. We did try two different playgroups when our older one was a baby, but honestly the moms were quite weird so I didnt try that again!
Good luck...maybe some moms from preschool? Try the Y in honesdale during the summer too, they have things for the little ones to do!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
We've lived here 10 years, have a 6 and 4 year old, and have yet to find people local. Just not easy around here. We did try two different playgroups when our older one was a baby, but honestly the moms were quite weird so I didnt try that again!
Good luck...maybe some moms from preschool? Try the Y in honesdale during the summer too, they have things for the little ones to do!
hey pocono,
Things up her are defintely weird. Give me back Scarsdale anyday of the week.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 AM

21 posts, read 75,452 times
Default Moving to Honesdale next month..

Hi, Me and my family are moving to Honesdale next month July 3. I have 3 kids ages 9, 7 and 3 yrs old boy. I sure would like to met you and your kids. We are still searching where to rent a house and if things work out for us in that area then we will buy our own home. Please email me when you get a chance : rjm_grogg@yahoo.com. God Bless you and your family!!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:14 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,908 times
You guys should start your own play group out that way...lol... There is a MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers) Yahoo group that I just found out about this week...not sure where they meet..might be Milford area. There's also Kids Play Today on Route 6 in Shohola.

Hat...one of these days we will still have to meet up there if you want to head down this way. Maybe once school is done and my schedule settles down a bit. I'll email you.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
You guys should start your own play group out that way...lol... There is a MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers) Yahoo group that I just found out about this week...not sure where they meet..might be Milford area. There's also Kids Play Today on Route 6 in Shohola.

Hat...one of these days we will still have to meet up there if you want to head down this way. Maybe once school is done and my schedule settles down a bit. I'll email you.
There is a group Mothers and More out of Milford, but it would be too far for me now. Yes, FF we should get a meet and greet up this way since many of us are from the same area.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 PM

126 posts, read 327,094 times
BOO HOO! We are in a similar situation but alas, my children are a bit older! 3 boys ages 11,12,15 and one daughter 17. We have been in Honesdale about 2 years now and we have yet to really meet anyone. I know part of that is our circumstances---we home educate and have not gotten into any sports yet plus I don;t work outside of the home! I cannot say of people are "weird" around here since I have yet to get to know anyone :0). BUt, if you all do plan a get together, I would love to be included! I can bring my 2 younger sons---I don;t think we are weird--but warning! we are originally from Brookyn NY so that may be weird for some--what ya see is what ya get with us. It would be nice to get to know SOMEONE---families are especially nice because it meets the social need all aroun, KWIM?
Well, keep me posted via here or PM's....

Hope you do find some families to get together with! I LOVE living here for so many reason, but socially speaking---I do miss NY sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania