Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Nice to hear such good things (for the most part) about WB!
I think it's a cute city any it gets a bad rap. I'm not sure why. Two well respected colleges and plans for a river front promenade! I also like the Square and while I have heard bad things about the area I cannot see why. I have never felt unsafe there and I have stayed at the Best Western / Genetti several times.
Where are the really nice residential areas of WB???
There are some beautiful homes in South side but I have not heard too many positive things about the schools that serve the area.
There are some nice residential ares in Wilkes-Barre where white collar people live. Parsons Manor, Barney Farms (where the mayor lives) and Pine Ridge a brand new neighborhood in Miners Mills with nice new houses. Wilkes-barre is an old city (probably a hundred years older then Scranton) so there is alot of old, run down housing in the city, but if you know where to look, you can find newer, nicer houses. Alot of the people that don't live in the city, but just visit, or work downtown only see the neighborhood's that surround the downtown (which are the oldest neighborhood's in the city) so the houses are usually more rundown. There are pockets of newer housing though, if you know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Actually it looks like it is spreading to Scranton, and look, the perpetrators are black and from out of state, big surprise:

Three held after shooting in West Scranton - News - The Times-Tribune (http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/three_held_after_shooting_in_west_scranton - broken link)

It really seems that the minorities that come to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre do their best to make their entire race look bad, which obviously is not true if you've ever left this area at all.....

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 06-08-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wilkes-barre is an old city (probably a hundred years older then Scranton)
According to Wikipedia, Scranton was incorporated as a city 5 years before Wilkes-Barre, and has had a significantly larger population every census since 1860.

(Though Wilkes-Barre was incorporated as a borough 50 years earlier, the population of both was pretty trivial in the early 1800s, so I don't think either town has large chunks of housing > 150 years old.)

Nothing against the WB, but I've just seen this myth on here that Wilkes-Barre is an older and/or once larger city than Scranton. I don't know why, but I feel a need to correct it.

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, I do like the streetscape, parks and riverfront of downtown WB.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Hey Sheena,

There are nice neighborhoods in Wilkes-Barre. North Wilkes-Barre and Heights are two of those neighborhoods. South Wilkes-Barre has nice streets, but it really depends on the street. I'd stay off Carey Ave and upper Horton Street. Lower Horton Street and the surrounding streets on the south side of Carey Ave are nice. Streets back by the levee system (Gordon, Deibel, et al) are all very nice areas.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Magritte25; 06-08-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: LOL...had to change d*i*k*e to levee....

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM

331 posts, read 639,485 times
I have family that lives in Wilkes-Barre, and I've been through every single neighbourhood there. I personally find it ugly, even the new construction. Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good.

As far as the "mentality" you don't understand, are you talking about the NEPA mentality of "Why bother?" or are you talking about my mentality of not living in a place I don't like? Please be more specific.

Also note that because of Wilkes-Barre's general lack of foot traffic, it gives off a much sketchier vibe than a place like mid-town Manhattan, where you can barely escape people.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I have family that lives in Wilkes-Barre, and I've been through every single neighbourhood there. I personally find it ugly, even the new construction. Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good.

As far as the "mentality" you don't understand, are you talking about the NEPA mentality of "Why bother?" or are you talking about my mentality of not living in a place I don't like? Please be more specific.

Also note that because of Wilkes-Barre's general lack of foot traffic, it gives off a much sketchier vibe than a place like mid-town Manhattan, where you can barely escape people.
Not everyone here has a why bother attitude and I've noticed more residents becoming proactive in the last 5 years or so. Also, I'm not sure when you lived here but there is a high amount of foot traffic in busier areas like downtown Wilkes-Barre. As far as the more residential areas, why would there be a ton of foot traffic there???

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Like I just said, I worked in center city WB just a couple years ago. I was just there about 3 weeks ago. High amount of foot traffic? Have you never been outside of the city?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Like I just said, I worked in center city WB just a couple years ago. I was just there about 3 weeks ago. High amount of foot traffic? Have you never been outside of the city?
Yes, I have been out of the city. NYC, Philly, Baltimore etc. Those cities are not comparable to WB. They have a MUCH higher population than we do. I think like 41,000 people live within city limits. In the busier parts of the city - downtown, near the colleges and the shopping areas - yes, there is a high amount of foot traffic. What do you expect with a population of 41,000 - many of them elderly?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM

I don't expect anything. I am observing that WB, aside from lunch hour, is pretty much a ghost town as far as foot traffic. Same for Scranton. This area is just too much of a commuter area to have it any other way.

So back to the topic, I don't like Wilkes-Barre, as a matter of opinion. That's all there is to it. :\

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I don't expect anything. I am observing that WB, aside from lunch hour, is pretty much a ghost town as far as foot traffic. Same for Scranton. This area is just too much of a commuter area to have it any other way.

So back to the topic, I don't like Wilkes-Barre, as a matter of opinion. That's all there is to it. :\
And that's fine if you don't like Wilkes-Barre. I am not trying to "sell" it to you because frankly I don't care that much.

However, you are wrong about WB being a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania