Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM

37 posts, read 42,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post

2. Raise taxes to combat drug addiction, and maybe give the Scranton Police officers a raise.

Yeah, give drug dealing, murdering police a raise. Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Probably the best immediate thing to do is to stop handing out welfare like candy. All that does is destroy ambition and you end up with people sitting on their butt all day with nothing to do so they spend it getting into trouble and doing drugs. If they were out working a J-O-B they wouldn't have all that spare time to commit crimes.

If we are going to pay welfare out, then they need to put in a 40 hour work week of community service.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Probably the best immediate thing to do is to stop handing out welfare like candy.
We have the weakest welfare state among all western industrialized nations and the highest incarceration rate.

Try again.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
We have the weakest welfare state among all western industrialized nations and the highest incarceration rate.

Try again.
We have the highest incarceration rate because we put the bad guys away for a while and couldn't care what other countries do, but our welfare system is plenty generous.

People need to get out and get a JOB and get to work. They want to collect a check off of my hard work then the guvment needs to put them to work for 40 hours a week doing community service.

Welfare is a soul destroying entity that enslaves people and destroys their ambition. People will be too busy to smoke ice or shoot people if they are busy working.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I don't understand why we have so many people on welfare, when I constantly see "NOW HIRING" sings on places like McDonald's and Wal-Mart. If there's jobs open, then why are these people on welfare?????? I'll tell you why, because the vast majority on welfare do not want to work....its more lucrative for them to keep popping out kids, and then they get food stamps and Section 8...its pathetic, we've bred a bunch of lazy lowlifes who aim to make a living out of milking the government......I know this does not apply to all people who ever accept some form of government assistance, but its reality for a lot of people milking the system. Its about time to set limits on the amount of time someone can spend on welfare, and make it mandatory for them to be actively looking for work and applying for jobs.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 06-05-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
When you make $1 dollar over the limit on things like housing and food stamps and are kicked off then that will make you think about taking that great job at McDonald's. People cannot afford to live on those wages but if they take the job they'll lose their housing. It's a Catch-22.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
I know drug use is often associated with homicide, but to be fair, I don't think even one of the murders was proven to be drug related this year (correct me if I'm wrong). It has been a year of just senseless, stupidity. A woman murdered over an Access Card?!. An argument at a bar. A baby beaten to death by the mothers scumbag boyfriend! A husband shooting his wife dead in front of his children. A man burning down a house with a woman and her daughter inside. A guy punching someone in the head at a supermarket, and he falls down, bangs his head and dies. It's all ridiculous. I just don't get it. Don't people realize the punishment for murdering another person? All these lives ruined, and all the families involved also, and over what? An access card? Just to put it in perspective, Wilkes-Barre has had more murder this year then all other cities in the region combined! (including Williamsport) Scranton, Hazleton, Stroudsburg, Williamsport, Why? Why us? Given the similar demographics, you'd think it would be about the same average. It is disappointing for Wilkes-Barre, but despite all this, I do agree that Wilkes-Barre is safe for the average citizen. I raise my children here, and have no problems. It is criminal on criminal, or amongst people that know each other. It is a shame that now FINALLY that Wilkes-Barre is starting to make a comeback, now is when we are also making headlines every other day for homicide also.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't understand why we have so many people on welfare, when I constantly see "NOW HIRING" sings on places like McDonald's and Wal-Mart. If there's jobs open, then why are these people on welfare?????? I'll tell you why, because the vast majority on welfare do not want to work....its more lucrative for them to keep popping out kids, and then they get food stamps and Section 8...its pathetic, we've bred a bunch of lazy lowlifes who aim to make a living out of milking the government......I know this does not apply to all people who ever accept some form of government assistance, but its reality for a lot of people milking the system. Its about time to set limits on the amount of time someone can spend on welfare, and make it mandatory for them to be actively looking for work and applying for jobs.
And when they have nothing to do and nothing to live for they get mixed up in drugs and crime.

I say if we are going to pay out money to people then we need to get something for it as in a 40 hr work week doing community service projects. They'll be too busy working to be out dealing drugs all day.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM

17 posts, read 49,341 times
Another homicide in Luzerne County. The body of a man found in the woods off of suscon rd. was ruled a homicide. He had been missing since april and his truck was found burned in the plymouth flats. The fire was ruled arson.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets20 View Post
Another homicide in Luzerne County. The body of a man found in the woods off of suscon rd. was ruled a homicide. He had been missing since april and his truck was found burned in the plymouth flats. The fire was ruled arson.
Great! What are we up to now? Four murders per week?! That occurred very near to my parents' home in Pittston Twp. too. Wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania