Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 35,114 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Sally. I am from NEPA, and I am new on this site, looking for information on boating.

We were looking into purchasing an 18'-20' power boat for some fun on a few of the lakes around here............We (my husband, and 2 kids) were close to buying a Bayliner, until I read the JD Power report, and they were second from the bottom, as far as bowriders go........So I figured I would try to get some tips, before jumping into such a major purchase.

Anybody have any good tips starting from What boats are good, and reasonably priced. Where are good places to go, nice cheap, launching options, places to stay, that have launching options, etc........

I would appreciate any good tips for some fun in the sun..........

Thank you

Sally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Actually Bayliners are built in the same factory right along side Searay boats and the quality is not "top of the lIne" but they are solid boat for what you want to do. Your budget dictates what boat you end up in not JD powers.

Whats your budget......Boat/motor and trailer. 5% of the value of the boat a year in maintenance is what it will cost to have it, not including insurance and fuel.

Give me a budget and I'll help you find a boat. I was a boat and yacht broker for years and I am a USCG licensed captain so I think I can help you out.

Last edited by weluvpa; 06-25-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
Currently own a 24 Chaparral which is great. Used to have a Hurricane deck boat which was a blast as well. Both are mid range priced boats but are well built. I am on salt water now which is a different ball of wax but know you cant go wrong with Mercury or Mercruiser in board.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 AM

Smile Boats

Thank you for your reply, since posting, we have purchased an 18" 190HP glastron from caddie labars in Dallas. It's a beautiful boat, but since we bought it, my husband's business picked up, so we were only able to use it once. The day we bought it.(not complaining, that's good news).

We didn't go with a sea-ray, because they had an "F" rating for customer service from the better business bureau. They never called customers to help fix the problem, and even blew off the BBB, when they tried contacting them. We didn't need anymore of that type of customer service, there is already enough of that everywhere else these days.

Do you have any good tips, for which lakes are (good/best) for tubing, swimming, fishing? Now that we got the boat, we'll need to know that kind of information.

Thank you for any help you could give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Actually Bayliners are built in the same factory right along side Searay boats and the quality is not "top of the lIne" but they are solid boat for what you want to do. Your budget dictates what boat you end up in not JD powers.

Whats your budget......Boat/motor and trailer. 5% of the value of the boat a year in maintenance is what it will cost to have it, not including insurance and fuel.

Give me a budget and I'll help you find a boat. I was a boat and yacht broker for years and I am a USCG licensed captain so I think I can help you out.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewhale View Post
Thank you for your reply, since posting, we have purchased an 18" 190HP glastron from caddie labars in Dallas. It's a beautiful boat, but since we bought it, my husband's business picked up, so we were only able to use it once. The day we bought it.(not complaining, that's good news).

We didn't go with a sea-ray, because they had an "F" rating for customer service from the better business bureau. They never called customers to help fix the problem, and even blew off the BBB, when they tried contacting them. We didn't need anymore of that type of customer service, there is already enough of that everywhere else these days.

Do you have any good tips, for which lakes are (good/best) for tubing, swimming, fishing? Now that we got the boat, we'll need to know that kind of information.

Thank you for any help you could give.
I understand changes were made when Brunswick took over... the changes helped Bayliner and not SeaRay...

The family almost bought a Glastron that was a year old from a dealer... went to look at it and the boat was very clean... like new and Volvo Powered. The owner asked what would it take to make the sale and we told him are price and left it at that.

Two days later he called and said he would do the deal for cash... but today only We agreed and went to the Bank and got cash and drove the hour to his place. When we got there, he said he was sorry, but someone was also coming over to take a look and he wanted to wait... I told him we had a deal and he asked for $500 more... we left with our cash.

The next evening he called back and said the boat is ours... I told him we just bought a 1 year old SeaRay

The main difference to me between the two is the SeaRay has a mercruiser and the Glastron Volvo...

This is our first I/O experience... before it was Outboard or Inboard.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Talking New boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I understand changes were made when Brunswick took over... the changes helped Bayliner and not SeaRay...

The family almost bought a Glastron that was a year old from a dealer... went to look at it and the boat was very clean... like new and Volvo Powered. The owner asked what would it take to make the sale and we told him are price and left it at that.

Two days later he called and said he would do the deal for cash... but today only We agreed and went to the Bank and got cash and drove the hour to his place. When we got there, he said he was sorry, but someone was also coming over to take a look and he wanted to wait... I told him we had a deal and he asked for $500 more... we left with our cash.

The next evening he called back and said the boat is ours... I told him we just bought a 1 year old SeaRay

The main difference to me between the two is the SeaRay has a mercruiser and the Glastron Volvo...

This is our first I/O experience... before it was Outboard or Inboard.

Good for you, I hope you are having fun with it........that's a shame, he had you drive all the way out there, and blew you off.........How rude....We got to go to Lake Wallenpaupack for 1 day so far........had a blast.........Sooooooo sore the next day.......elbows killing me from hitting the boat over the waves.....You could literally spend all day out there....where as Harveys Lake, we were done in a half hour...........Boy did we look like amateurs docking that boat though........it was funny....I fell in the water....missed the dock completely.......HA ..........

How are you doing with your new boat?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Wait til you get a windy day. Been doing it for 4 years now and once in a while it takes a couple of times. Get the Summer Weekly and check out what is going on in the Party Cove!!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
We go out on Beltzville Lake. It looks like you are probably closer to Harveys Lake.......
It is fun swimming in the coves......the water is awesome and this time of year...perfect!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM

80 posts, read 258,192 times
Glad you found a boat , too bad it was at Caddies.
Wait till you need something fixed. you'll wait,and wait,and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania