Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with that? Did they open? Is it still under construction? Did they run out of money? I haven't seen anything on the news lately about it. I wanted to take the kids up to check it out, but I don't know what the deal is up there? Does anyone know what's going on with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Who knows what happens to projects around here? They get touted and then never start or get completed.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:50 AM

170 posts, read 311,670 times
I called yesterday and they said the 18th. 10am-7pm.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosicman View Post
I called yesterday and they said the 18th. 10am-7pm.
The 18th of this July or August? Maybe the 18th next June.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Poor economy, poor idea, poor planning, poor winters.........If Sno mountain can't get thru the winters then they have no capital for the summers. They are operating at a loss every winter so far I would imagine...

Anybody wonder why Montage couldn't make it work? You are not supposed to build ski mountains with a southernly exposure. The sun melts the snow everyday all day long and if there isn't much sno or cold weather to start with, well then...conditions suck.......Sucky conditions means no one is spending the $$$ to ski.

Goes right back to poor planning about 25 years ago.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:24 PM

79 posts, read 150,154 times
It's an embarrassment.

They have a sloppily-designed official website (http://www.snocove.com/index.html - broken link). It shows the half-assed way they put the water park together. There's no vision. It's a low-rent CamelBeach for almost the same price and just a fraction of the number and quality of the rides. I'd drive the hour to CamelBeach instead of gifting my money to that incompetent business.

They should have just ridden out the economic downturn. It's not like CamelBeach is the gold standard of water parks. It has negatives. For instance, it's an hour away from Scranton (like Wildwater Kingdom). CamelBeach can get quite crowded on weekends due to its proximity to NYC and NJ. And so on.

The potential for a quality water park is there, but the Sno Cove owners squandered it with poor execution.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times
There were a number of factors that delayed last years opening. One,
I think they just tried to take on too much. Rather than open a couple
rides and a wave pool or whatever, they tried to get everything done all
at once. I know they had a hard time getting the huge tubes supplied
due to whatever reasons, so that set them back, and it also seemed like
the contractors who were building the place didn't really approach things
the right way. They came in a cleared out half the mountain, and after
the first good rain it was all a mud pit and the lazy river was destroyed.

They did bring in a huge amount of snowguns as compared to what was
being used under county ownership, and I know there was snow on that
mountain well into spring, so it must have been pretty darn deep.

If they're going to be a cut-rate camel beach, then they should just be it.
Offer low cost cabins for rent and other things that would make it a family
friendly and economical experience.

I wish them luck, but I also think they would not have needed any if they
had a better game plan from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania