Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Advertisements

Brannigans deal bets on city's future (http://scrantontimes.com/opinion/brannigans_deal_bets_on_city_s_future - broken link)

Quote:
In effect the deal bets that ongoing development downtown, particularly the restoration of the 500 block of Lackawanna Avenue and rehabilitation of the nearby Connell Building, will help to generally boost business and stabilize Molly Brannigans and other businesses.
Sure and when those places fail? Southern Union was supposed to be an anchor downtown and what happened?

Rosado HQ was hailed as center piece for Lackawanna Ave...Where are they at?

I wouldn't bet a fake penny on the anything in the downtown...Not to mention the article states that basically the reason that the SPA did this is because without Brannigans they can't cover the "debt service" on another one of Doherty's pet projects in the city...UNEEDED parking garages and the SPA is always one payroll from going belly up themselves.

NOBODY recieved a KOZ so there is noway that any business in their right minds would open in the city of Scranton and pay the mercantile/business priviledge tax which starts at 3.0% for retail business and goes for service based businesses. On top of that 3.4% wage tax.

500 Block will sit empty or have a short turn around with businesses coming and going every year in the same location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I don't know that they'll last that long, but... not empty with a new lease signed is better than empty with no new lease signed.

The SPA may be generously funded, wrongly or rightly, but this is just a rent reduction, not a subsidy. In other words, the SPA is not "giving the bank away" if there's nobody else who wants to rent it.

Do you think there is someone else out there who will rent the space for more money?
I bet you there is no one else out there who would rent it for more money or the same right now. I wouldn't put any business up in the downtown right now, because in about 6,months to a year I would be moving because I wouldn't be able to make it.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 AM

67 posts, read 145,103 times
Here's an interesting problem with Molly Branigans. I have a friend who is the bar manager at their harrisburg location. If you've ever been there, their location probably has 10-20% more floor space than ours and is in downtown harrisburg, 3 blocks from the capitol building. Want to know something amazing? they are paying less in rent than they are/were in Scranton. What does that tell you? It tells me two things. One, their management (foolishly) bet on scranton improving very quickly and agreed to astronomical rent (again, foolishly). and Two, the SPA, did very well for itself finding a tenant that would pay that rent, even if it was short term.

My personal belief is that the new deal is stupid, but like someone said, i'd rather take the risk with a tenant that's established and has shown good faith in payments rather than evicting them, taking 80 cents on the dollar, and renting to another bar owner. especially considering you all (and myself included) dont feel another bar is necessary downtown.

Let the attacks begin...

Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 AM

I agree about keeping the space full, but I cannot go along with forgiving the rent and utilities while allowing a another restaurant right down the street to close. Its favoritism based on renting from the city......

If the GroundRound which was the only restaurant in the mall couldn't make it work, why would they think that Molly Brannigans which is at the end of the street near nothing is going to be able to stay open.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 AM

And if the Ground Round had the SPA as their landlord, they may have gotten the same sweetheart deal...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 AM

Nobody should be getting any deals with taxpayer money. Period. Scranton cannot afford to be in the bail out industry for local restaurants when the city has a $16,000,000 a year debt service payment.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM

agree completely with above, and would love to see the same logic at the federal level as well.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Applaud the fact that I, as a taxpayer, will probably be subsidizing their rent through 2016? No way.

Scranton needs more bars like I need a hole in my head. The city has ONE bookstore and probably HUNDREDS of bars....that's a sad commentary on Scranton.

And when some of us, months ago, stated that a B&N would be a great addition to the downtown, we were met with derision and "that'll never work" and "we already have a bookstore".

Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And when some of us, months ago, stated that a B&N would be a great addition to the downtown, we were met with derision and "that'll never work" and "we already have a bookstore".
It wasn't me who said that. I think a bookstore would be great in downtown Scranton. Maybe the Ground Round space could be used for a Barnes and Noble, but I'm not sure B&N would be willing to move to a mall thats dying. The B&N is downtown Wilkes-Barre is a little different, it also serves as the bookstore for King's and Wilkes. All that's in downtown Scranton now is a small used bookstore that's off in an alley. They do say they can special order books, but if I want to order books, I can get any book I want faster and cheaper through Amazon.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It wasn't me who said that. I think a bookstore would be great in downtown Scranton. Maybe the Ground Round space could be used for a Barnes and Noble, but I'm not sure B&N would be willing to move to a mall thats dying. The B&N is downtown Wilkes-Barre is a little different, it also serves as the bookstore for King's and Wilkes. All that's in downtown Scranton now is a small used bookstore that's off in an alley. They do say they can special order books, but if I want to order books, I can get any book I want faster and cheaper through Amazon.
No, it wasn't you who said that. I think it was someone who does not live in the city. B & N would be a nice addition considering that book store downtown does not have the volume and selection that a B&N has. Then again like you said, would they want to move there. I remember when the mall first opened there was a Waldenboooks and that didn't last. I really don't what would make the downtown better, but it certainly won't get better if the city keeps up on the current path.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 08-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania