Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
mathjak[/LEFT]107;10069434]the lovely weather.... not only can i [LEFT]probley[/LEFT] count on my hands the number of real sunny days we have seen this year but i think i shoveled about 4 ft of partly cloudy from my driveway last winter

ha! i remember many times of shoveling sunny and cold out of the driveway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Oh please stop making assumptions based on your own feelings. I for one didnt move here for the cost of living or for any of the other cynical things you think. This is about what each person loves about being here not about how and why you think they moved here.

We all have our own thoughts so stop trying to think you know how we feel. Grow up already!

I love my area and I didnt move here because it was cheaper, I gave up a $70,000 a year job to move here!
Easy there. We didn't make assumptions why people move up here. I'm telling you a fact that's the reason we moved up here and was agreeing with Dan. The area isn't that great, just ask Paul why he moved. There are no real good jobs or industry to speak of. Granted, there are some nice areas, but I don't think that's the primary reason people move here. I don't think that's cynical if people move up here for the reasons we mentioned.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
But why do people have to be so NEGATIVE???? The thing is SO WHAT if a lower cost of living plays into the reason people relocate to NEPA?
NEPA is certainly NOT the only option for people who want to live a more affordable life.

Perhaps why NEPA and not another place would be a more precise and accurate question.
Why not just stipulate that many people relocate from many places from many others because they want to enjoy a more affordable lifestyle. What is wrong with that?

But the interesting question is "Why NEPA and NOT someplace else?"

Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But why do people have to be so NEGATIVE???? The thing is SO WHAT if a lower cost of living plays into the reason people relocate to NEPA?
NEPA is certainly NOT the only option for people who want to live a more affordable life.

Perhaps why NEPA and not another place would be a more precise and accurate question.
Why not just stipulate that many people relocate from many places from many others because they want to enjoy a more affordable lifestyle. What is wrong with that?

Just ignore negative people, otherwise it grows on you. I remember as a kid coming up here - great childhood memories of simple things. Building a fire and roasting marshmellows, swimming, riding horses, playing cards, outdoor horse shoes. It all made for a positive childhood experience.

Sure cost goes into it as well. I have no regrets. Although I could not afford to live where I came from, I do not begrudge the people that can. I am lucky to have met so many nice people and have a good network of friends. I like the four seasons, the mountains, skiing, boating, etc. I am lucky enough to have live out my childhood dream here.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM

307 posts, read 768,619 times
My Great-Grandparents moved to Rowland in the late 1800s.They were part of the group of Norwegians that were looking for a place that reminded them of Norway. They farmed in the spring and summer and built boats in Bay Ridge NYC in the winters. My Grandfather was baptized in the Rowland church. I was living overseas and had to chose where I was going to live in 79 and part of the reason I chose here was because it would be a safe place to raise kids, I knew that would mean that we would make less money but that was a price I was willing to pay. If you work here as well as live here, the cheaper cost of living is a moot point because you will earn far less. I want to move south now because of the cold long winters, I have had enough. I do love it here during the warmer months. I have a group of deer, chipmunk, squirrels and other adorable animals I feed right off my deck. I love the cooler nights and hot days. I love the smell of the woods and the river. I know we just recently had a post asking this very question! I wanted to post a pic to show why I love it here, but I cant figure out how!!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I don't believe I was being negative, just accurate. I don't care why people do things, just giving possible reasons why. NEPA certainly isn't the only option people have, but the thread is why people move here and those are some of the reasons why.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpa View Post
My Great-Grandparents moved to Rowland in the late 1800s.They were part of the group of Norwegians that were looking for a place that reminded them of Norway. They farmed in the spring and summer and built boats in Bay Ridge NYC in the winters. My Grandfather was baptized in the Rowland church. I was living overseas and had to chose where I was going to live in 79 and part of the reason I chose here was because it would be a safe place to raise kids, I knew that would mean that we would make less money but that was a price I was willing to pay. If you work here as well as live here, the cheaper cost of living is a moot point because you will earn far less. I want to move south now because of the cold long winters, I have had enough. I do love it here during the warmer months. I have a group of deer, chipmunk, squirrels and other adorable animals I feed right off my deck. I love the cooler nights and hot days. I love the smell of the woods and the river. I know we just recently had a post asking this very question! I wanted to post a pic to show why I love it here, but I cant figure out how!!

Very descriptive and very fascinating. The 2 artists that remind me of NEPA are Kincade and P. Buckley Moss - if you ever get a chance to see the "skating lesson" it reminds me of the innocence this area had when we first started to come back in 1970.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
It might be interesting to find out why people love this area besides the mountains and the scenery. Back in the early 1970's, we lived in the area and found that these were the reasons we had a summer home in Milford and loved it so much.

#1 reason...when you do business, you can look one another in the eye and see that the transaction will be good. (looking your fellow man in the eye seems to be a lost custom anywhere else in the country.)
#2 When you wander around the marvels of nature, you'll always be greeted with a wave.

Was curious as to what other people think and if they feel that these 2 reasons made them feel sold on the area.
This is from the original poster. She wants to know what people love about NEPA and why they moved here not about what they dont like and what they dont like about others decisions to move to NEPA.

Its supposed to be a light discussion not about how us "transplants" made this a horrible place to live. Am I wrong Chris???

Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
This is from the original poster. She wants to know what people love about NEPA and why they moved here not about what they dont like and what they dont like about others decisions to move to NEPA.

Its supposed to be a light discussion not about how us "transplants" made this a horrible place to live. Am I wrong Chris???

I just thought it was an interesting topic and found the majority really embraced this thread. It was about what was the "draw" to this area. We all know it was for financial reasons, but there is a much DEEPER reason we all took the plunge. There was something magical for me even as a kid. Life seemed slowed, people seemed more relaxed. And, I always love to sit outside and breathe in the fresh air. Roxxy, you are on target. That experience in the supermarket sticks out in my mind. One thing that comes to mind that in certain areas of NEPA everyone waves. And, heavens forbid if you got stuck on the road, people are so generous, they ask if you need help and get out of their cars.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
kinpa is that church Bethel? We are a part Scandinavian Lutheran family and I have been checking out the churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania