U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM

29,827 posts, read 26,713,561 times

Advertisements

developments are not for everyone.... in fact i like alot of the rules.... in our development i think 2000 ft is the min.... its a little bigger then i wanted but to tell you the truth i dont really want to live next door to a bungalow or have my neighbor experimenting with different forms of toilets and waste disposal next to me... . im living in this development and not out on the street in a private home because i want to be surrounded by homes of like value and size .. i want my neighbor to have some rules and restrictions on things that effect me. . if i didnt i wouldnt be in one.

after living for years in a private home and my neighbor turned his home into an auto repair place on the weekends i like the fact that we have rules in our hoa about that.....

its a double edge sword when you want to do something and you cant but you know what? its been pretty transparent for us in the 2 years we have the house and i cant even imagine any issues that would come up.

people choose certain developments for the look, for the ammenities and activities.... winter can be a lonely place in nepa without activities and the closer to home the better......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM

29 posts, read 49,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Didn't your first post request an Olympic size pool?

Yes I did. Because I know that I will have to pay HOA dues anyway. At least I will be able to swim two-three times a year. I do not golf, I do not mountain ski, I do not participate in anything organised at all. I only swim in wild ocean and make 30 miles a day cross-country skiing.

If having a democratic option I`d prefer not to pay for the pool and not to use it. Those who use - let them pay. Not me.

From extensive communication with people I got a firm opinion that those "HOA Committee members" prevent new constructions on purpuse. To collect money for "amenities" from owners of undeveloped lots, without giving these owners a chance to use amenities and to overcrowd them.

If I own land but cannot build they even do not allow me to be on my property!! Even to set a temporary tent to protect kids against rain and sun if I come to visit my land. Even to make BBQ!

I have no words for it! Such an unbelievable rip-off! It is my land. I bought it. I have the deed. I paid for it. I am entitled to do whatever pleases me with my property! Not true?

HOA.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM

guess you shouldnt be in an hoa development at all.... its their bat, their ball and their field.... you play by their rules or look elsewhere... its community living.... .seems simple enough to me

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,781,803 times
Were you not made aware of the rules when you purchased the property? How did you come to own the property?

All buyers in planned communities are to be furnished with a resale certificate / resale packet which provides them with the rules, regulations, and restrictions in a community ahead of time.

People purchase in these communities because they WANT the structure of the rules, and they want comparable homes to maintain the integrity of their property values. They do not want someone throwing up a barn from Home Depot and hooking up electricity to it and calling it a vacation home. They do not want their neighbors to be living in tents.

I feel sorry for the people outside of a community, trying to sell their homes, that have Ma and Pa Kettle living next door who have turned their yards into a DIY Recycling Center - collecting old appliances, rusty pet crates, old tires, bags spilling beer and soda cans on the porch...

If you don't like the rules and fees involved with owning in a community, you do not buy in there. Very simple. Buy outside a community.

It sounds to me like you would best be served by renting a campsite at the state park for two weeks every summer. Then you have the lake, the bike trails, hiking trails, and activities. You can buy an RV / Camper and take it wherever you want. Lackawanna State Park has a lovely pool. We camped there for a few days last summer and had a blast.

My husband and I don't want to buy in a community either, really, but we want to be able to use lakes and have a cheap vacation get away. We just got back from a lovely week on Lake Michigan. We rented a cottage for $800 for the week, and were a block away from the beautiful public beach on the seaside --- er, the lake shore. GORGEOUS! I highly recommend Ludington MI! I want to go back! No humidity! No bugs! No crowds! It was GREAT!

Next vacation, we'd like to have our "own place" that we can take wherever we want. We're seriously considering buying a pop up camper, because that's really all we need. And we can take it anywhere we want (that allows them, that is....)

Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
guess you shouldnt be in an hoa development at all.... its their bat, their ball and their field.... you play by their rules or look elsewhere... its community living.... .seems simple enough to me

Why not? I never did and will not do nothing that could create problems or discomfort to other people. No music. No loud companies. No drinking. No drugs. No pros. Even if my dog barks in the night I bring him home - not to bother neighbours. Am I bad person? Bad neighbour? Bad community and society member? I have three university degrees and professionally speak three foreign languages (English is just one of them). My last name can be googled in relation to activities of the highest World level international organisations.

And I must be cut from "community" only because I prefer a 400 s.f. house and not 2 000?

Very questionable.

Only because I can see how a small group of people makes their lives better at the expense of others?

I have to spend my hard earned money to build a 2000 s.f home just to please them? Instead of a perfectly clean, beautiful and stylish 400 s.f. chalet that would perfectly accomodate and make happy me.

With HOA` actions and policies I see numerous irregularities to say it mildly.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

heres an idea, not my idea of living in retirement, in fact id rather die at my desk working...none the less

About Us

Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,781,803 times
ROFL Mathjak!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM

an hoa development is like co-op living...when you buy a home or land in one your basically accepting a deed with covenants or restrictions..... yes the idea is financially alike people wanted to band together with other financially like people and create a living enviornment that reflects the lifestyle and likes of the group. no one has to belong to this group if they dont feel like belonging or are not the same financially but those that do accept the terms as is..... think of it as a GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB

Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
ROFL Mathjak!
maybe i can start a little business renting out box vans for people to live in all weekend.

i can call it YA'ALL HAUL

Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Were you not made aware of the rules when you purchased the property? How did you come to own the property?
.)
No, I did not. I ran away as soon as I was presented with these inquisitorial miles long lists of restrictions, prohibitions, bans and punishments...

How free minded and free spirited American people can obey, accept and tolerate this opression - is a biggest mistery for me.

HOA.

I`ve never lived in a co-op. I`ve never lived in a club. All my life I am by myself. Cannot imagine life without freedom (responsible freedom).

I do not travel in this country alot. So I do not need an RV. When I got two-three weeks of free time - I prefer to go to Caribbean or to Red Sea for open ocean swimming.

What I need is a very basic clean place to stay one-two hundred miles North from NYC with reliable snow cover to come for a couple of weeks once or twice in winter for everyday long distance cross country skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania