Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Usually the business has to be so in grained in our economy that they take hundreds of thousands of people down with them to get a hand out and that dosnt includ maybe a million more in associated businesses like suppliers.... small businesses dont usually qualify and are left to dangle for themselves...... by the time this down turn shakes out the business grave yard will be full of all these smaller businesses that couldnt make it thru
Unless you're in Scranton, where an Irish pub, Molly Brannigan's, is having thousands in rent forgiven, as well as utility bills by the Scranton Parking Authority. But the SPA wouldn't hesitate to give you or me a parking ticket, no matter what the situation.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
MT8

60 posts, read 188,990 times
Just make the place a high-end outlet mall and people will flock in from miles around. Who can resist Coach at half price? Problem solved.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
I don't live in or near Scranton but frankly I could care less if everyone of these chains went out of business there or near where I live. Go find a nice locally owned "mom & pop" eatery. There's plenty of choices in this area and there used to be many more until all these chains started popping up.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why isn't Ground Round getting a break from the city? Didn't the owner make the right campaign contributions? That's why corporate welfare is not a good thing, it puts certain businesses at an unfair advantage over others. And even though the Ground Round may not be the greatest restaurant in the world, I would rather have a place like that, a family restaurant, rather than another bar. Scranton has no shortage of bars.
Could of saw this coming miles away. Nothing succeeds in this city and a large part of it is Doherty"s fault. He does not care about the citizens of this city or it's well being. He just cares about himself and how he can further his political career and based on his track record here, he isn't going very far. The mall is becoming more of a ghost town everyday, as well as the rest of the downtown. Are people finally starting to realize the reality of Doherty and his failure of a downtown?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Is Doherty telling people not to eat at Ground Round? Is the rest of the country not in the midst of one of the worst recessions *ever* in our country? Hmmmm....

Old 08-03-2009, 06:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is Doherty telling people not to eat at Ground Round? Is the rest of the country not in the midst of one of the worst recessions *ever* in our country? Hmmmm....
There are many other reasons beside the recession that things are failing here in the Electric City. The laundry list is too long, but it starts with Doherty.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Businesses have been opening and closing in the downtow for the last 8 years, long before the recession ever started. The tax struture is too strong on small businesses in the city and they cannot hold on.

This also leads to less traffic in the downtown and less money being spent by people other then the gov't employees that keep the city alive on a daily basis.

If the state building or the county buildings ever moved out of the downtown it would financially collapse on itself in a matter of days.

Doherty has done nothing to improve the business environment in the downtown in 8 years, nothing.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
What ashame that the people that complain about the downtown don't do anything to support it.
There's no reason for me to go down there...nothing that attracts me. The only place I like downtown is the Banshee, which I'll go to once in a long while, but having young kids means I don't get out all that often these days.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT8 View Post
Just make the place a high-end outlet mall and people will flock in from miles around. Who can resist Coach at half price? Problem solved.
That's a good idea...the mall needs some kind of new direction, if it keeps trying to be a regular indoor mall competing with the Viewmont Mall, its days are numbered.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
What ashame that the people that complain about the downtown don't do anything to support it.
What could we do to support it? Do you think that I should just go down there and buy somehting for the support of it?

The mall has nothing for me at all to purchase. I'm over the age of 30 so I don't and wouldn't wear Abercrombie or Hollister.....

The only store that we frequent is Game Stop, thats it.....

There is nothing of any interest in the dwontown besides bars and the restaurants well they are what they are...Maybe Rok Thai every once in while but usually take out....

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to go to the downtown during the day unless its for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania