Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one complains about parades for the Irish, festivals for the Italians or Russians yet people complain about gay pride parades, Mexican fiestas and things like Kwanzaa or Black History month. Anyone noticing a pattern here?
Methinks most on this forum do not.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And for how backwards, intolerant, and oppressive Scran Barre boo-hoos about NE PA being towards gays, I don't see my gay coworkers getting a hard time or treated any differently by anyone.
I hope you're the best man in their wedding next week in Scranton. What's that? They aren't legally permitted to join together? Awww...too bad, right?

I hope you're a shoulder to cry upon in the hospital during a time of extreme crisis when one has to decide whether or not to "pull the plug" on the other. What's that? They aren't allowed to decide one another's fate due to that aforementioned inability to wed? Awwww....too bad, right?

I hope you're offered a position to baby-sit for their adopted children. What's what? They have to undergo intense scrutiny for trying to raise their own families, if even legally permitted to do so at all in many jurisdictions? Awwww....too bad, right?

I hope you testify as a witness in the criminal prosecution of the oafs who beat one of them to a bloody pulp some night because they saw he and his partner holding hands earlier at a bar. What's that? Hate crime legislation does not cover the LGBT community? Awwww....too bad, right?

See a pattern yet? It's easy for a white, non-Hispanic, middle-class, heterosexual, married, and child-rearing man to sit back and say that life is peachy for others who weren't fortunate enough to be born into the same circumstances, but you honestly have no idea of what you speak sometimes.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
People also get discriminated against in the workplace for being overweight, a smoker, loud, quiet, etc etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin' Scrannin' View Post
Yes, they do.

What is your point?
I think the point he was trying to convey is "Discrimination sucks, but such is life for many people. Nobody cares. Get used to it."

Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't see this thread as trolling. It *is* a real problem in out NEPA community and judging by the comments both here and in the paper this type of discussion is needed.
I agree....many posters here are being too judgemental of SB. I really think he was a bit peeved when he started the thread...but he has not said much of what many posters are claiming; if an unbiased person reads this thread...believe me they will agree with the original post. How about opening a dialogue...The gays are usually willing until we get bashed or called silly etc. Respect is a two way street.....Gay parades are meant to bring some sense of pride and

solidarity to the LGBT community, yes it's campy, even for me but it is all in fun. It is a parade for ******sake; aren't they supposed to be entertaining and flashy???????

I wish that such events existed when I was growing up in Pittston; you have no idea what it feels like growing up gay and feeling alone. Afraid to loose your friends, family and religion......since you will surely experience rejection. We need to get over this nonsense and leave people in peace. We will have better citizens on both sides of the fence...IMHO.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM

192 posts, read 594,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
We don't need all these gay pride parades, i just don't see it as necessary.
Then don't go. It's that simple. Fortunately, you're not calling the shots for all the other people who enjoy attending.

I have a blast at the Gay Pride parades I've been to, and I'm a straight married woman. I take my Great Pyrenees all dressed up, and we register people to vote.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Then don't go. It's that simple. Fortunately, you're not calling the shots for all the other people who enjoy attending.

I have a blast at the Gay Pride parades I've been to, and I'm a straight married woman. I take my Great Pyrenees all dressed up, and we register people to vote.
I love them too and I'm straight too. They are so much fun and unlike St. Patty's day parade there is no need for people to be drunk. I wish we had a full blown Pride Parade in this area.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
I don't go, and i don't go to the St Patty's parade either

Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
I shy away from crowds...but would love to go to next years pridefest!!!! Maybe if Scranbarre comes back for it we could all go!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Straight people don't have festivals telling the world they are straight. I am not gay, but i have nothing against people who are gay, my sister is gay.

They could if they wanted to do so. And white people do have parades celebrating their ethnicity. They do have parades about freakin' trees for crying out loud. So, ya, still not seeing the problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I was born and raised on Long Island, but at the moment I'm not too concerned what is going on there, if people are tolerant or not. So when do you think we should have our "straight festival"? Equal rights, right?

Whenever you or someone else feels up to organizing it. I certainly won't be. I don't feel threatened enough to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania