Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistPresPlanStudent View Post
I recently read in the Citizens Voice about the sheriffs sale of the Mosque. I interned at the Chamber in 2007 and spent a great deal of time with officials taking members of Arts YOUniverse around the historic structure, not to mention I also spent quite a great deal of my childhood there as my father was a Shriner. I've always had a fondness for not only this building, but for a majority of the structures in downtown W-B. Like Mr. Newman said, we don't need another F.M. Kirby Center. The facility, although very beautiful and ornate, doesn't function well as a theatre as that was not it's original purpose. I too think that a childrens museum/science center and Susquehanna Heritage museum would be perfect for this location. Maybe it could even be converted into a civic center for Kings, we know they're expanding closer to Market Street anyway. I just hope the building is saved for future generations to enjoy.
Amen to that, the last thing they should do is tear it down and leave a parking lot. They just don't build buildings like that anymore, and once it is gone, it is gone for good. How about a "real" mosque? We do have a growing muslim population in NEPA, why not make that the "mecca" for the entire muslim population of the entire Wilkes-Barre/Scranton region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistPresPlanStudent View Post
I recently read in the Citizens Voice about the sheriffs sale of the Mosque. I interned at the Chamber in 2007 and spent a great deal of time with officials taking members of Arts YOUniverse around the historic structure, not to mention I also spent quite a great deal of my childhood there as my father was a Shriner. I've always had a fondness for not only this building, but for a majority of the structures in downtown W-B. Like Mr. Newman said, we don't need another F.M. Kirby Center. The facility, although very beautiful and ornate, doesn't function well as a theatre as that was not it's original purpose. I too think that a childrens museum/science center and Susquehanna Heritage museum would be perfect for this location. Maybe it could even be converted into a civic center for Kings, we know they're expanding closer to Market Street anyway. I just hope the building is saved for future generations to enjoy.
I thought making it part of Kings was also a viable option.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Amen to that, the last thing they should do is tear it down and leave a parking lot. They just don't build buildings like that anymore, and once it is gone, it is gone for good. How about a "real" mosque? We do have a growing muslim population in NEPA, why not make that the "mecca" for the entire muslim population of the entire Wilkes-Barre/Scranton region?
If the demographics support it...great idea too but some sort of public building...IMHO would serve the general public better...maybe another or a specialized library? The building must be preserved ; it's a jewel of the downtown.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 PM

18 posts, read 47,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Very good idea WBP! I love that idea....

I have often said that a grocery store was needed in downtown WB but never even thought of an urban marketplace.

And I agree that the West Side Market looks like the Armory.
What I could never seem to get a gasp on is before the modernization of town-Wilkes-Barre had a grocery store, a movie theater, and a performing arts center all right in town. In the years after the flood the ripped down Percy Browns(grocery store) to make way for a new movie theater, closed the movie theater on the square and turned it into the FM Kirby center, and completly abandoned the Irem Temple, because they kind of created their own structures, this is what I beleive eventually left to the fast downfall of town in the late 80s and 90s. I think the temple should be turned into multi purpose building, with a resteraunt on the top floor, beacause the veiw is beautiful, the stage floor could be turned into a multi functional space for business meetings, presentations, even like private shows, and concerts for groups. Finally I think the basement which has a gorgeous banquet hall(which far too many don't know about)should be turned into a banquet hall(like the Pittston convention center) for weddings, parties,etc. The city does not yet own the temple though because of their money troubles they have not yet paid the full amount of money(about 2 million) to the shriners, I forsee it will be 10+ years before anyting happens though>.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania