Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Totally agree. The mob is just as criminal as these street gangs that are here in Scranton and other urban areas across the country. Think about 'The Sopranos' and 'Goodfellas' and they don't paint a rosy picture of the mafia. You're right, they don't make ghettos out of their neighborhoods. They usually live in nice, upscale towns. We understand that they're both bad, but gophillies stated he would rather have them in his neighborhood than the gang banging, ghetto types that did this horrible act.

Like I said before, you guys don't care about crime or violence unless it affects your property values and safety.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Totally agree. The mob is just as criminal as these street gangs that are here in Scranton and other urban areas across the country. Think about 'The Sopranos' and 'Goodfellas' and they don't paint a rosy picture of the mafia. You're right, they don't make ghettos out of their neighborhoods. They usually live in nice, upscale towns. We understand that they're both bad, but gophillies stated he would rather have them in his neighborhood than the gang banging, ghetto types that did this horrible act.
You know what maybe some should start reading about what the mafia does to people. I had a friend that was killed by a so called mafia. She was dragged, beaten, killed then cut up and buried. You know why because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dont say what you think, only what you know as fact.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:30 PM

79 posts, read 150,130 times
The idea that Scranton would be a safer community "if it weren't for all those black folks" is obscenely racist. For some reason, some of our resident Scrantonians who voice that sentiment seem to think that only cross-burning, bed-sheet wearing KKK members can be "racist." (Oh, and affirmative action proponents, too, I'd imagine.) But according to our beloved City-Data, Scranton has 72,000 people. Fully 3% of them are black. That's over 2,000 black people. I highly doubt any of us have even seen--nevermind actually met-- even a tiny fraction of those 2,000+ black people. "I seen enough, heyna. Dey hang out at da mall" isn't an appropriate justification for this racism.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM

87 posts, read 254,062 times
I think you are all crying the racism card here... and are on the defense for what the residents are seeing. I am not racist and do not care what color the scum is.. they are all green slime to me. I am sure if we can get the conversation back on track and try not to point fingers at some posters for not carefully choosing their words, we might actually have some headway in figuring out what the problem is.

The problem is lack of morals, parenting and home values. The problem is parents letting their children run wild and not knowing who they are associating with.

Get your kids under control and moving toward positive actions.. and stop fighting over who or who not may or may not be racist here.

Fact is we have scum bag twits in our area and until something is done in Scranton, I will keep my family and money away...

I am not going to run for office or risk my life to clean up your streets.. I could care less if there are riots every night. I need to deal with it as much as I need to deal with detroit. I am simply saying that if you want a clean city.. you all know where to start.

Now stop your whining and go make some neighborhood watch signs. get a website going and blog often about what is happening on your block. Get your kids in before dark and make sure they have a book in their hand instead of a joint.. the process sgtarts at home. Tell your neighbors the same.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
No they dont make ghettos out of neighborhoods, well not THEIR neighborhoods. I gotta laugh because I grew up in a predominatley Italian neighborhood and I am Italian and your statement is farthest from the truth. What are all these so called mafioso doing in jail...murder...corruption...drugs...money laundering and a whole host of other things. Please anyone that does things against the law is a criminal. Just because anyone thinks that they kept Italian neighborhoods clean didnt know about all the crime that was actually going on. And maybe they are called mobs they are still gangs. Just a different kind. And this also goes for the other mobs of different groups. The blacks and hispanics dont have a hold on everything and thinking that is very naive.
I understand EXACTLY what you are saying. A neighbor of John Gotti Sr. accidental ran over his son ( this happened more than 20 years ago)...the boy sadly passed away, the neighbor disappeared shortly after...they found the mans body I believe it was only about two years ago. It was nothing but a tragic accident...but with the mafia, SOMEONE always pays for accidents...

Old 08-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Like I said before, you guys don't care about crime or violence unless it affects your property values and safety.
Do not judge some people to harshly because of that...we are after all a captialist society.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
I think you are all crying the racism card here... and are on the defense for what the residents are seeing. I am not racist and do not care what color the scum is.. they are all green slime to me. I am sure if we can get the conversation back on track and try not to point fingers at some posters for not carefully choosing their words, we might actually have some headway in figuring out what the problem is.

The problem is lack of morals, parenting and home values. The problem is parents letting their children run wild and not knowing who they are associating with.

Get your kids under control and moving toward positive actions.. and stop fighting over who or who not may or may not be racist here.

Fact is we have scum bag twits in our area and until something is done in Scranton, I will keep my family and money away...

I am not going to run for office or risk my life to clean up your streets.. I could care less if there are riots every night. I need to deal with it as much as I need to deal with detroit. I am simply saying that if you want a clean city.. you all know where to start.

Now stop your whining and go make some neighborhood watch signs. get a website going and blog often about what is happening on your block. Get your kids in before dark and make sure they have a book in their hand instead of a joint.. the process sgtarts at home. Tell your neighbors the same.
That post ROCKS OUT LOUD!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:

Exactly. We never said "Scranton would be safer without those black folks. Slammin Scranton keeps bringing up race and confusing it with the real situation, I guess he's just being a good liberal. We said it would be safer if we didn't have the bad minority element, blacks and Hispanic and white trash on relief. Not all blacks or Hispanics for that matter, just the bad ones. I don't look at the color of scum, when I see it I know it, regardless of color or creed. You're right. The problem is lack of morals, values and common courtesy. Stop with the race card already, it's getting old.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:

It won't let me give you rep points, so i'm doing it here. Very good post and so true!!!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
I understand EXACTLY what you are saying. A neighbor of John Gotti Sr. accidental ran over his son ( this happened more than 20 years ago)...the boy sadly passed away, the neighbor disappeared shortly after...they found the mans body I believe it was only about two years ago. It was nothing but a tragic accident...but with the mafia, SOMEONE always pays for accidents...
Its not only the Italians, its the Russians, the Chinese, on and on and on. There is bad in all makes of life, unfortunatley. Where I come from in Brooklyn, the Russian mob is thought of as the worst. I think they are all gangs, just some can hide their identity by having a normal life outside their illegal one. Its funny I never thought of this before. We are made aware of the Bloods, Crips and whatever other names they go by but we arent made aware of the Russian mafia and the Chinese mafia that run neighborhoods down. I guess because these gangs (bloods, crips, etc.) are all in our jail systems so we are more familiar with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania