U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Selinsgrove, PA
1,516 posts, read 6,235,826 times
Reputation: 561

Advertisements

For my daughter's 10th birthday we went to Claws 'n' Paws. She LOVES animals, especially giraffes. Her stuffed animal collection already includes six giraffes. She was absolutely thrilled to be able to feed the giraffe at the "zoo". She also got to pet the tortoise, but we were a bit too late to the bird area for her to feed the birds, although she did get to go into the cage with them. We also missed the "Dino Dig". My 8-yo son had a great time too and even my 16 yo seemed to enjoy himself.

This is a great small zoo, and the animals seem to be well taken care of. There were two animal shows. We only got to see one of them. They run the different timed events at least twice during the day. We were there on a Tuesday and it was still quite crowded. There is a large snack bar area with lots of picnic tables since you're not allowed to take food out of that area. The bathrooms are there also. They're pit toilets - like regular toilets but no water. There is a hand wash sink and hand sanitizer outside, and there is also one of these sink areas near the petting zoo and turtles. There are various photo ops around the zoo also.

Admission was $49 for all five of us and the web site has a $1 off coupon for all adult admissions (which we used). Of course we had to stop in the gift shop on the way out for one more giraffe stuffed animal, bringing the new total to 7!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
 
3,756 posts, read 8,704,075 times
Reputation: 1072
Maybe it changed since I was there last year. When I went it was very dirty and the animals were not taken care of. I would go to the Bronx Zoo or the Zoo in Central Park before I ever return back there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Selinsgrove, PA
1,516 posts, read 6,235,826 times
Reputation: 561
I've never been to either of the zoos you mention. When I asked my husband to take me to the Bronx Zoo many years ago his reply was, "All of the Bronx is a zoo." He grew up on Long Island so he has his little prejudices. LOL I absolutely love the National Zoo in DC, but having something small fairly close to home is a nice thing. It was also nice that Claws 'n' Paws was very shady so for those hot summer days, it's a nice little zoo to go to and still keep cool. I didn't notice any odors (and I have a very sensitive nose) except near the foxes, and there's a sign there saying that if you think you're smelling a skunk you're not - it's actually a scent the fox gives off. It certainly did smell like a skunk! The lions and tigers were roaming around and they had quite a bit of room compared to some other small zoos I've been to (like the Waccatee Zoo near Myrtle Beach SC).

Maybe they've cleaned it up since you were there, or maybe we just had different perceptions. I was more focused on my daughter and hoping she had a good time, since this trip was Plan B after we had intended to go to the DC area but our motor home broke down on the way - a long story I won't bore you all with.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
 
996 posts, read 3,033,355 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I've never been to either of the zoos you mention. When I asked my husband to take me to the Bronx Zoo many years ago his reply was, "All of the Bronx is a zoo." He grew up on Long Island so he has his little prejudices. LOL I absolutely love the National Zoo in DC, but having something small fairly close to home is a nice thing. It was also nice that Claws 'n' Paws was very shady so for those hot summer days, it's a nice little zoo to go to and still keep cool. I didn't notice any odors (and I have a very sensitive nose) except near the foxes, and there's a sign there saying that if you think you're smelling a skunk you're not - it's actually a scent the fox gives off. It certainly did smell like a skunk! The lions and tigers were roaming around and they had quite a bit of room compared to some other small zoos I've been to (like the Waccatee Zoo near Myrtle Beach SC).

Maybe they've cleaned it up since you were there, or maybe we just had different perceptions. I was more focused on my daughter and hoping she had a good time, since this trip was Plan B after we had intended to go to the DC area but our motor home broke down on the way - a long story I won't bore you all with.
I have not been to Claws n Paws recently, but have been there many times with my kids on field trips. I agree with you that for the price of it, it is certainly a fun day out with the kids. I know there are people that complain about it, but I've always thought that the animals were well cared for. There is a smell from the animals, but I think that part of the problem is that everything is shady and doesn't dry out like it would if all the exhibits and pathways were made of concrete.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,233 posts, read 6,117,132 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Maybe it changed since I was there last year. When I went it was very dirty and the animals were not taken care of. I would go to the Bronx Zoo or the Zoo in Central Park before I ever return back there.
I agree Blue. I was there several years ago and didn't think much of it. Maybe that's the reason why I never went back. Like you said, maybe it has changed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
 
28,180 posts, read 22,311,952 times
Reputation: 16630
I agree with NYR and BD. Sorry but I just don't think those animals are well cared for....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Sheeptown, USA
3,233 posts, read 6,117,132 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with NYR and BD. Sorry but I just don't think those animals are well cared for....
Something else we agree on Mag I agree, when I there it didn't seem like they were well cared for at all.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
 
996 posts, read 3,033,355 times
Reputation: 726
What specifically did you find to be wrong with the animals, just out of curiousity?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Pike County, PA
1,154 posts, read 2,725,676 times
Reputation: 617
I went there with my kids and thought it was all right. It was nothing compared to the St. Louis Zoo (probably the nicest zoo in the country, plus it's FREE. Trust me when I say it's WORTH the trip to go there. I love it there...it's got terrific habitats for the animals..) but it was OK. It was a heckuva lot better than that torture chamber at Nay Aug. What a nightmare that place is.

It's not fancy at all...it's a small zoo in the woods. I had my kids there a few years ago for a school field trip and we enjoyed ourselves a LOT. The otters were so much fun to watch, and the panther nearly gave me a heart attack when it came running toward the observation area where we were...lol.

I would go there again..probably will go next summer when my neice and nephew from Missouri come to visit...though I know I'll have to endure all sorts of jokes about how it DOESN'T come CLOSE to St. Louis...lol
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,713 posts, read 8,602,192 times
Reputation: 20278
There's a really beautiful zoo in Cape May NJ...Natural habitat for the most part and lots of shade...
Parking is free...Admission is free, although they do request a donation as you enter...We go there every summer when we're on vacation and it's a great day...Of course, there's the ever-present gift shop and a snack bar, but the zoo is pretty much taken care of by volunteers and benefactors...
If you're at the Jersey shore, plan a trip to Cape May...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top