Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Data backup company Seccas, LLC moving from New York City to Scranton, Scranton initiative to move companies from Wall Street, Wall Street West initiative, local economy

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,074 times

Advertisements

While I was reading the Sunday paper, I noticed that a NY firm is moving to Scranton. There was speculation that NY companies would be moving towards Scranton and now I see it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:42 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,113 times
Memories -

Recall the name of the company or industry? Did it mention an ETA?

Just curious... VV

Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
The company's name is Seccas. Here's the article that was printed in the Scranton Times-Tribune last week:

The dozens of dignitaries, filled with enthusiasm and showering accolades, seemed like much ado for an announcement of a company’s arrival creating fewer than a dozen jobs.

But the decision of New York City-based data-backup provider SECCAS LLC to establish a toehold in Scranton counts for more than just the 10 jobs it brings, officials said Monday.

SECCAS’ arrival marks the metro area’s first practical success in the “Wall Street West” initiative to lure New York-based financial firms’ data-backup facilities.

“Those of you who have followed Wall Street West know this is the story Northeastern Pennsylvania is telling the world,” John Blake, of the state Department of Community and Economic Development, said at Monday’s announcement at the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce. “SECCAS is the first of many, I hope.”

SECCAS will lease 2,000 square feet in the Diversified Information Technologies building on Wyoming Avenue, Most of that space will be filled with computers.

The firm will hire at least 10 employees over three years for technical, programming and administrative posts.

SECCAS received a $270,000 state grant to help offset equipment costs and provide job training. The city is giving another $70,000 to help SECCAS purchase equipment.

The company looked at locations in New York and Maryland, but chose Northeastern Pennsylvania because it is in a different power grid and watershed than sites closer to Manhattan, making it a more secure site for a data-backup facility, said SECCAS President Daniel F. Summa.

The facility will store corporate electronic communications, such as e-mails and instant messages, for SECCAS’ “litigation readiness unit.”
Since 2006, companies have been obliged to keep and archive employees’ e-mail, instant messages and other electronic documents in case the company is sued in federal court. The Supreme Court last year approved the change to Federal Rules on Civil Procedure.

For firms such as SECCAS already storing sensitive financial data, the new rules provided a business opportunity. SECCAS offers to archive and categorize electronic missives and documents for clients.

Because the Scranton facility will not be handling sensitive financial data, Mr. Summa said SECCAS didn’t need simultaneous backup, which the region lacks because of weak or missing fiber optic communication lines to the Big Apple.

However, Mr. Summa said SECCAS selected the region largely because of the state’s promise to establish a more-robust fiber connection to New York City, extending the instant backup range from eastern Monroe County deeper into Pennsylvania.

“We will take full advantage of it,” Mr. Summa said.

The most important thing SECCAS brings is a success to point to when people ask about the viability of the region as “Wall Street West.”

Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce President Austin Burke said Mr. Summa, who has a summer home at Lake Wallenpaupak, has offered to help market the region to other firms on Wall Street.

“Now we can say this firm, known throughout the financial industry, has selected Scranton,” Mr. Burke said.

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty, who worked with Mr. Summa to lure the firm to the city, said the city’s revival is built on small successes such as SECCAS.

“We are winning this game with singles and doubles, not home runs,” he said.

SECCAS will be operating in Scranton by summer, Mr. Summa said.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Thank you, my dear.

Ten jobs is still a very welcome start, I say. Good for Seccas making the first move into a beautiful new community. Others will surely follow, in time, once they see how much happier some of their employees will be living where it's much less stressful, with easier commutes & a lower cost of living. You never know, SWB, some large accounting firm may soon have a satellite office in Scranton!

Good news... VV

Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
I am sure that Mr. Summa related to the Summa's here that are involved in all kinds of business's due to the fact that he summers at the paupak??? Is this going to turn out like the Southern Union building? See the CEO of Southern Union Mr. Karim was from here and has relatives on the U of S board and used the "olde boys" network to get the city to cough up $$$$ and promised a hundred jobs for Scranton and the city lost $7 million on that deal and no jobs and the building is empty. Are they KOZ if they are with only 10 hires the city will be losing money on the deal. Also the $70,000 is not a done deal yet. Are any of the 10 coming in from out of state??????? I am all for business coming to Scranton but lately they do not follow thru and we get the bill. Not to mention that John Blake is a political hack that left the gov's office here in Scranton so that his job could be offered as a political favor to get Dem party support. This smells like a political move based on the past and I wouyld be surprised if it does not fall thru. Not to mention that the city does not even have the $70,000 to give because we are bankrupt and if we have to loan the $$$$$ then the tax payers are stuck with the bill. OK if Austin Burke says its so then we must beleive it, right take a ride thru the Mid Valley Industrial park and see how many companies Mr. Burke has help relocate there from inside the Scranton city limits. This is just another political joke on the residents of Scranton and we will undoubtly get stuck with the bill and this fall thru due to bad politics just like SU did.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Default SWB is good

I believe that is the name of the company! They are coming here and nothing is going to stop the growth which, btw, I think is great for the young people of the area. Now hopefully they can get a good paying job without leaving the area.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
I believe that is the name of the company! They are coming here and nothing is going to stop the growth which, btw, I think is great for the young people of the area. Now hopefully they can get a good paying job without leaving the area.
That's music to my ears! I'm hopeful that Seccas will be the first of many Wall Street firms relocating to NEPA in the upcoming years. The prospect of such a lengthy commute after college worries me immensely.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Amen, Memories.

SWB - I hope you can find a job in-state upon graduating. Me, too, as I'll graduate the same year as you! Positive thinking has always provided the best of everything for me. Natives returning will revamp the area, as well. I'm not the only one. We'll be alright!

Thanks for the good news... VV

Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Not one person answered any of the questions.

1. Mr. Summa a nativer of NEPA?
2. Are they a KOZ?
3. All 10 hires from NEPA?
4. $$$$ a gift or loan?

Southern Union sounded like it was a windfall for SCranton and look how that turned out. 100 jobs(10x) Secca, Company HQ, executives moving from texas, all sounded like a great win win situation just like this, but in reality they never came, the city lost $7,000,000 and the building is empty and the rent is too high for anyone to rent it so its sits empty and has been for years now.
Memoriesbre and kittenspurr neither one of you live in Scranton and kitten you do not even live in the area. Memoriesbre hows the taxes in Tunkanuck(sp?)??? Why not move down to the glorious city of Scranton???? Where do you shop?? In SCranton proper? or Dickson City? Why not stop supporting Paul and start supporting Scranton financially and move here if the both of you are soo fond of it?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Smile I shop in Scranton and Dickson City

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Not one person answered any of the questions.

1. Mr. Summa a nativer of NEPA?
2. Are they a KOZ?
3. All 10 hires from NEPA?
4. $$$$ a gift or loan?

Southern Union sounded like it was a windfall for SCranton and look how that turned out. 100 jobs(10x) Secca, Company HQ, executives moving from texas, all sounded like a great win win situation just like this, but in reality they never came, the city lost $7,000,000 and the building is empty and the rent is too high for anyone to rent it so its sits empty and has been for years now.
Memoriesbre and kittenspurr neither one of you live in Scranton and kitten you do not even live in the area. Memoriesbre hows the taxes in Tunkanuck(sp?)??? Why not move down to the glorious city of Scranton???? Where do you shop?? In SCranton proper? or Dickson City? Why not stop supporting Paul and start supporting Scranton financially and move here if the both of you are soo fond of it?
I grew up in Queens NY which is alot like Scranton. Homes close to each other, cars lining the streets, etc. It was great growing up like that. Kids to play with next door, neighborhood friends, a quick walk to the corner store.
We were not looking for that at this stage of our lives now. We wanted a bit more property. Our taxes are in the ball park of $1800 to $2500, have to ask my DH what they are LOL I think Scranton is a great place. It takes time to rebuild a city and bring it back to it's old glory. Revitalization is a wonderful thing to see. Give the city a chance. We look towards our younger people to have a dream. Anything is possible when we think possitive and strive to make a place something to be proud of. I still agree with SWB. He is one of our young people with a darn good head on his shoulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania