Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,168,797 times

Advertisements

Just curious - why is he a poor role model as an individual? Yes, as parents, it is our responsibility to teach our children. But they are also going to be touched and shaped by individuals outside of their home and family. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM

936 posts, read 2,387,983 times
Our president is a good role model. I cannot understand how anyone can think different. I also cannot understand how anyone would think he would talk about religion. I dont ever remember a president talking about religion so why would anyone think that he would. And also I dont think he would bring up politics, thats totally ridiculous! But we will see soon enough!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,569,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahonesdale View Post
Personally I think he is a poor role model as an individual but his position still needs to be respected. When we speak of his policies and or administration in our home we do our best to do so with respect of the position and the fact that like it or not, he is our Commander in Chief.

As a parent it is MY responsibility to instill morals and values that our family holds onto and if the public school teaches or encourages something else, it is MY responsibility to teach them otherwise. I cannot say one way or the other yet about this speech until it is heard. If he is just doing an encouraging talk to the kids, then fine. If he in ANY way is trying to proselytize young people to his views, THAT I take issue with. The school is NO PLACE to proselytize kids to any religious or political belief (even though I believe that humanism as a religion IS taught in schools on a regular basis) but no one can say for sure until it is done. That being said, I think there is a fine line between suggesting and requiring this to be heard. This should in NO WAY be a requirement. Just my 2 cents.
Wait a minute....is this speech REQUIRED to be heard??

Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 PM

60 posts, read 158,412 times
DelVal HS called with an automated message to say that the speech was going to be shown at school and if you don't want your kid to see/hear it, you have to call the school by 9am Tuesday to decline.

Toon

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 PM

126 posts, read 325,590 times
In case the religion question was from what I posted...I didn't say he would talk about religion---I just placed it in as a comparison. And I don't know if he will talk politics or not. I said IF he did , it would be wrong on both counts. Just because a man is the President of the USA does not make him a good role model. there are many reasons I do not think he is a good role model.The most significant one is that he adheres to a belief system that violates the sanctity of human life and so for me, a person that not only adheres to this way of thinking but adamantly supports it and works so diligently to get others to support it is not a good role model--in my opinion. Please understand that as the Commander in Chief of our country, I respect his position of authority, but as a human being, I do not. Also, please remember that this is only my opinion and I in NO way discount anyone elses opinions of him NOR do I wish to debate this. i was only responding.
No, the speech is not required as far as I can tell. I thought I was clear, but maybe not? Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,994,580 times
I do think this issue has gotten out of hand and it's downright ridiculous. Ronald Reagen spoke to school kids about economics when he was President.

I think it's a GOOD thing - whether you like the man or not (I don't, I didn't vote for him, but he's still our President.) I think it's a good thing because perhaps the kids will take an interest in politics themselves - remember, they are our future and we need GOOD POLITICIANS to come from SOMEWHERE.

It will be good if it creates an interest in something other than Nintendo....

Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,013,208 times
I know the most of the kids in my classroom would like to see him speak (middle school). Obama is a good speaker and I'm sure it will stay on the topic of education and not "politics". IMO, to think it's wrong for kids to see this is ridiculous. It will be educating, at the very least.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Obama is speaking about education. I think he is a good role model because he believes in giving back to your community, he worked hard at his college education, etc.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:19 AM

And the speech is *not* required viewing.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,630,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Our president is a good role model. I cannot understand how anyone can think different. I also cannot understand how anyone would think he would talk about religion. I dont ever remember a president talking about religion so why would anyone think that he would. And also I dont think he would bring up politics, thats totally ridiculous! But we will see soon enough!!!
It all depends on what he talks about in his speech that would be key. I wouldn't mind if he did talk about religion, we need to put God back in the mainstream and stop having it be taboo if children pray in school and if they wear crosses to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania