Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the off topic political thread be re-opened??
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
And you would know this how? Sounds pretty slanderous and libelous to me. I suggest you post a retraction because I am documenting the slander for my attorney.
No you didn't just type that...calling people racist and leaving it up...that is slanderous...I will see your attorney and raise you one!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can we please all lay off of shoegal111? I read that recently-closed thread about potentially having the next "Sex and the City" movie in Scranton, and right from the get-go people were very negative and borderline disrespectful towards her. Personally I think Scranton getting ANY positive major national publicity can only be a GOOD thing. I wear my new "La Festa" t-shirt running down here in Virginia now, and if that results in just one person driving by on their way home from work seeing it, Googling it, and then deciding to take their family there in 2010 for a weekend getaway to pump tourism dollars into the city's economy, then it's a good thing, is it not?
Could you please stay on topic and stop defending a grown-up!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm tired of what this forum has become. When I first started posting on here over two years ago, it was never like this. It's become border line ridiculous now.
You are 100% correct about that...it is weird how things changed recently...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
With yet another train wreck closed thread due to a political post, how many NEPA posters would like to see the renewal of our "Off-Topic/Political" thread??

IMO, when the thread was active, it seemed like the regular threads were more civil, since politics were "contained" more. Since it was closed, the NEPA forums have turned into a cat-fight with people at each other's throats & has turned CD into a juvenile joke of thread closures & "I'm telling mommy" type reports & posts!!

Yea or nay??
Well, we've all gone off topic and I'm as guilty as the rest of you. I apologize. As far as I'm concerned I will not moderate a national political forum on any site and from the buzz on the mod forum, there are not too many takers there either. Has everyone had their say about this?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can we please all lay off of shoegal111? I read that recently-closed thread about potentially having the next "Sex and the City" movie in Scranton, and right from the get-go people were very negative and borderline disrespectful towards her. Personally I think Scranton getting ANY positive major national publicity can only be a GOOD thing. I wear my new "La Festa" t-shirt running down here in Virginia now, and if that results in just one person driving by on their way home from work seeing it, Googling it, and then deciding to take their family there in 2010 for a weekend getaway to pump tourism dollars into the city's economy, then it's a good thing, is it not?
I think La Festa is a smidge different than a Hollywood movie opening. To be fair, no one jumped on shoegal until she started getting angry that none of us agreed with her.

Even when I posted intelligent, valid reasons why the idea would not work I was met with "Oh you're just like the rest of the apathetic idiots in this area".

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Wow this has gone a long way since yesterday. Well here's my two cents. And its not towards anyone in particular so dont get offended, just think how you would feel if this was your thread!

I agree with Scran about the thread that Shoegal put up yesterday and I was shocked about what was written and how mean people were to her thoughts. If you didnt like the subject nobody is pulling your arm to write in. You shouldnt take the opportunity to bash the topic. I for one wanted to post on there and didnt because it was so nasty.

And also there are a few on here that think that their opinion counts and when someone has a different view some attack that person. It has happened to me and it has happened to others. You cant have it both ways...you want to play nice when someone agrees with you but when the other person has different views you gang up. Now of course I am not naming names because I have more sense to do that but you people need to lighten up.

This is a site we all like and its really been a nasty place. I came on here about 20 months ago. I was greeted very nicely and helped with my questions. This is the reason I continued when I moved to NEPA....trust me if this site was like this then I would of never continued.
What amazes me is if I ask a question, if I post more than once on a thread, I am attacking people.

Having a disagreement - even a heated one - is not disrespectful. It's not ganging up on someone or attacking anyone. It's having a spirited discussion.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think La Festa is a smidge different than a Hollywood movie opening. To be fair, no one jumped on shoegal until she started getting angry that none of us agreed with her.

Even when I posted intelligent, valid reasons why the idea would not work I was met with "Oh you're just like the rest of the apathetic idiots in this area".
I never said "Oh you're just like the rest of the apathetic idiots in this area" to you. Before you even posted the thread was hi-jacked by the usual suspects and much of what you were reading was directed towards those suspects not you. I am all for polite debate on the topic and responded back with why I thought it would work but that is not what happened once a few decided to hijack the thread and come at me. I even responded to one of your posts and told you that I was responding to multiple posts in one reply and that only one sentence was in response to your response.

Can we give the shoegal bashing a rest for one day please (general statement not directed to you specifically).

Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
Quote:

First nobody said that you were the one that jumped on her. And after her thread started right from the beginning there were some nasty comments. Look the thread was asking if anyone thought it would be a good thing about a particular actor and Scranton. It was ridiculed and it came from left field. Thats it in a nutshell. Nothing more than an attack on her thread![/quote]

Quote:
What amazes me is if I ask a question, if I post more than once on a thread, I am attacking people.

Having a disagreement - even a heated one - is not disrespectful. It's not ganging up on someone or attacking anyone. It's having a spirited discussion.
And again...YOU were not the intended. Go back and read the thread and be more objective. Its not right. We keep forgetting here is that we all have a right to post threads and if someone isnt happy with the thought of the thread you can butt out. Nobody has to post on every thread opened. If its something that you hate or disaprove or dislike maybe the thoughts shouldnt be shared. Its only negativity and its too widespread, especially on a thread like the one Shoegal had started, which was a light subject and it was treated like a poison pen letter.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
This is getting crazy. These are the reasons for the decline of this sub-forum. It becomes bickering back and forth and the discussion ceases. If certain people disagree with others, watch out, respect goes right out of the window. Like Paul said, he pinpointed when this all started, when certain posters came on here and made their name known.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
Paul, I have nothing against you, and none of my comments have
been directed towards you in any fashion.

My main problem is that all of this recent nonsense has turned the
board into unreadable garbage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania